“Very Basic Accomodation”

Hotel New York
Hotel New York
Ranked #1,077 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 25, 2007

The accomodation at the New York is very basic but it is the low price option in a very convenient location in central Rome. I guess you get what you pay for. For one night in Rome it did the job. The single room was furnished with a simple, rather narrow but clean bed. The carpeting was threadbare and the wall mouldings scratched and chipped. There is no air conditioning but a fan was furnished in the room. Despite the hot temperatures, I took a shower (in the bathroom in the hall) and with the fan I was out like a light. At first I completely missed the shower in the bath room and thought the room came without a shower. The next morning, though I did notice the shower head on the wall above the toilet. It worked o.k. and the bathroom dried quickly due to the temps. The towels provided are thin but in fact, this is completely normal in Italy. I've seen these same towels in hotels which charge a lot more.

I had no problems with the staff and they were quite friendly although I made no exceptional demand on them.

I saw no bugs and didn't feel unsafe at all so I might consider it again when needing a cheap place to stay in Rome.

The coffee at breakfast was quite good. Everything else you could skip if you were hungry. I wasn't hungary due to the temps so I ate the piece of rusk with butter and jam and drank the plastic cup of orange juice. There is nothing more.

As I normally get much more for my money in rural Germany, I rated it as a 2.

The hotel does not accept credit cards. You must pay in cash.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank RitC

Reviewed June 9, 2007

One of the worst hotels I have ever been...it is run more like an hostel than an hotel...with lights out in the corridors (and the staff that informs you that it is a quite normal thing), people running wild as in a school trip, no toilet paper and the building is completely run down and filthy - and this for a price which is not at all the one of an hostel. The room in itself was very basic but acceptably clean although had no a/c. The location is very convenient if you are arriving late at night at the Termini station or leaving early morning from there but I think you can find something a bit more decent in the area. I would definitely not go back there.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank littleshoe77
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Want a good hotel for a short break in Rome to see the sights and sample Italy, this is the place to stay. I booked online for three of us - mum (that's me) + two 20 something daughters and then panicked at the reviews I read. I'm so glad I didn't cancel. O.K. its not five star but then we didn't plan to spend our days lounging around in luxury. The hotel was clean, the staff helpful, the breakfast plenty to keep us going til lunch, our three bed room had every thing we needed, the bathroom was clean and the shower hot. The entrance, staircase and old-fashioned lift made us feel that we were really in Italy and not just in hotel land. It's two minutes walk from the Station so no money wasted on taxis and whatever you read in other reviews the three of us felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel each evening about 10. The receptionist at the hotel recommended a fantastic local restaurant where we were made so welcome and where we ate for under £10 each.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank vicw
Reviewed March 18, 2007

This hotel was great. Now, don't think you're going to be staying in the Ritz but it is perfect for the busy tourist because the location is great...one block from the Termini. This was the best decision I made by booking a hotel so close to the main point of transportation in the city. The building is a traditional looking Italian building, wide double doors to walk in. You take the elevator to the 3rd floor where the main reception desk is. Every single person I talked to at the front desk was SO nice, helpful, friendly and welcoming. There is always someone there, 24 hours a day. My room was great because it had plenty of space, a window, closet, bathroom. The bathroom was cleaned every day, the sheets changed and made everyday. I really felt safe at this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Please don't read those other reviews that are bad because they are ridiculous, this hotel is the perfect place to stay for a trip to Rome!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank seraslynz
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Rome - Hotel New York
Date - 28 April - 01 May 2006
Reviewer - Martin, Glasgow

The photograph of this hotel, both exterior and room view, has no resemblence to the dirty, mouldy and smelly room, we stayed in. The lift was ancient and thick with dust and grime. To use the stairs, often meant passing homeless persons, asleep on the landings on the way down. There was no security to stop anyone from entering the corridor, they could simply climb the stairs from the street and straight to the rooms! 305 Euros for three nights was 305 Euros too much. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank FionaMcK
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My mother booked Hotel New York online for our last night in Rome before flying back to the States but when we arrived at the building we were quite frightened by what we saw. Not only were we greeted by paramedics bringing a drunk man down the stairs but we also were disgusted by the appearance of the entire first floor. The lift was not working so while my mom stayed on the first floor to guard our bags I ran upstairs to see if the actual hotel was any better. I was disappointed to find out the stale air and dank atmosphere didn't get any better upstairs. We decided to lose out on the $ we'd paid for the one night we were going to stay and we left to find a safer more friendly/clean/inviting place to stay. There are far better places to stay all very close to the train station. Avoid Hotel New York at all costs!

Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Apex, NC
Reviewed September 24, 2005

We went to Hotel New York on the last day of our honeymoon. We were SO glad that this hotel was just a way for us to stay close to the train station in order to catch our flight home the next day. As everyone else has mentioned, the reception is on the third floor and the elevator is like something you would see on the Titanic. It's ancient beyond belief. Once arriving, don't let the red carpet and furniture fool you into thinking that there is any remote class to the joint. The people at the reception desk were cold and uninviting. A smile from you would be responded with a glare from them. We were given keys to yet a different floor (5th floor) and upon entering, found two twin beds pushed together (which is somewhat common in Italy) with mattresses sagging in the middle of both. The TV was placed high above (which I have heard is common as well) but we could not find the remote control for the life of us! The "night stands" were not screwed onto the wall properly, so they hung at an angle. You couldn't put anything on it that didn't want to follow along with the laws of gravity.

The bathroom attached had all the facilities, but to use the toilet, you're knees would be in the shower. There is really no shower "stall" just a curtain separating the "showering area" from the rest of the bathroom. When you shower, it is a miniature flood. Don't think about doing anything else in there after any shower. Afterwards, the whole room (bathroom and bedroom) smelled like mildew. The window we had faced the other side of the building, which was littered with trash and dirty clothes hanging from a line. Since it was facing a courtyard, if you can even call it that, we had no view of any street, or just ANYTHING!

The next morning we went early for breakfast only to find one lonely lady being scolded for not clarifying that she wanted "American coffee". There was nothing there to eat but pre-packaged biscotti. The coffee looked like mud in a cup so we just left and ate at McDonalds at the train station.

Would we ever go near there again..?? What do you think?

I know that there are some people who have given this place 5 stars, and maybe they had a better room or different people at the front desk. Our experience was just so miserable

• Stayed: September 2005