“Not bad” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel New York

Hotel New York
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Hotel New York
Ranked #1,088 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Des Moines, Iowa
“Not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in Rome for three nights and had a tight budget. Preferring private rooms to a hostel, we looked for cheap options. This led us to Hotel New York.

Honestly, we are picky people, but don't expect luxury when we pay very little. All in all, this hotel was perfect for what we wanted. It was right by the train station (literally 3 minutes away), it was quiet, and it was spacious enough. I wouldn't rave about how nice it is, but we really had no serious complaints. While in a rougher part of town, it felt very safe with 3 layers of locked doors.

If you want somewhere romantic or beautiful, don't come here. If you want a cheap place that is nice enough to sleep in at night, this place is perfect. With somewhere as amazing as Rome, who needs to spend much time in the room outside of sleeping?

The only complaint I have is that it is quite confusing in regards to knowing where you are booking. When we booked our hotel, it was under a different name and location. We met the owner (right in the center of town!) and he then told us to follow him to where we'd stay...10 minutes back towards the train station.

We didn't book to stay at the Hotel New York, but once we were there, it was nice enough to satisfy our needs!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank L0VEB1RDS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 1 night in July'06 and it was really OK for 1 night.
The location is great, we walked from the Termini station where we arrived from Naples by feet.
As far as I remember the shower was OK
The staff at reception was extremely polite and helpful, answered all our questions, allowed us to leave our luggage.
The room was pretty clean, nothing special, no new furniture, but OK
Overall, I would say if your standards are moderate, this hotel will be pretty OK with you.
We got our twin number for 70euro, so I consider it was totally worth this price.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank Duncheg
Moscow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2008

We have booked a tripple room in the hotel via Venere.com site providing credit card details which were promised not to be used but for guaranty only.
2 days before the trip one of our friends got sick and had to cancell the whole trip. We contacted the hotel and asked to change the room without penalties as Venere could not do so already. The hotel said it all depended on Venere only. We contacted Venere again but they assured us that this depended on the property only. As the result, the hotel provided double room but took money from the credit card of our ill friend for the tripple room.
The case is that we have stayed in that hotel last year and this year we booked it again and also 2 more people came from another countires to meet us in Rome and they booked the rooms there too - all because of us. I judge this hotel thinks only about their money and is not "human" to people, with their attitude they have just lost 5 people of their customers.
The location is in the dirty trainstation area with "druggies" in front of the door, the property is located on the 4th floor with old and small elevator, the door is looked in the night and you have to stay outside with those "druggies" waiting for someone to open the door. The rooms are shubby, the breakfast is just tea and bread. We stayed there as it was the cheapest opportunity and because we liked the reception woman last time, but now we will never come back there.

Tatiana Zayats

• Liked — only location
  • Disliked — personal attitude of the owners and stuff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Tanittta

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

American in Stuttgart
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

The accomodation at the New York is very basic but it is the low price option in a very convenient location in central Rome. I guess you get what you pay for. For one night in Rome it did the job. The single room was furnished with a simple, rather narrow but clean bed. The carpeting was threadbare and the wall mouldings scratched and chipped. There is no air conditioning but a fan was furnished in the room. Despite the hot temperatures, I took a shower (in the bathroom in the hall) and with the fan I was out like a light. At first I completely missed the shower in the bath room and thought the room came without a shower. The next morning, though I did notice the shower head on the wall above the toilet. It worked o.k. and the bathroom dried quickly due to the temps. The towels provided are thin but in fact, this is completely normal in Italy. I've seen these same towels in hotels which charge a lot more.

I had no problems with the staff and they were quite friendly although I made no exceptional demand on them.

I saw no bugs and didn't feel unsafe at all so I might consider it again when needing a cheap place to stay in Rome.

The coffee at breakfast was quite good. Everything else you could skip if you were hungry. I wasn't hungary due to the temps so I ate the piece of rusk with butter and jam and drank the plastic cup of orange juice. There is nothing more.

As I normally get much more for my money in rural Germany, I rated it as a 2.

The hotel does not accept credit cards. You must pay in cash.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RitC
World
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

One of the worst hotels I have ever been...it is run more like an hostel than an hotel...with lights out in the corridors (and the staff that informs you that it is a quite normal thing), people running wild as in a school trip, no toilet paper and the building is completely run down and filthy - and this for a price which is not at all the one of an hostel. The room in itself was very basic but acceptably clean although had no a/c. The location is very convenient if you are arriving late at night at the Termini station or leaving early morning from there but I think you can find something a bit more decent in the area. I would definitely not go back there.

• Liked — 3 mins walk from train station
  • Disliked — filthy building and hostel like feel for high price
Stayed June 2007
2 Thank littleshoe77
Birkenhead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

Want a good hotel for a short break in Rome to see the sights and sample Italy, this is the place to stay. I booked online for three of us - mum (that's me) + two 20 something daughters and then panicked at the reviews I read. I'm so glad I didn't cancel. O.K. its not five star but then we didn't plan to spend our days lounging around in luxury. The hotel was clean, the staff helpful, the breakfast plenty to keep us going til lunch, our three bed room had every thing we needed, the bathroom was clean and the shower hot. The entrance, staircase and old-fashioned lift made us feel that we were really in Italy and not just in hotel land. It's two minutes walk from the Station so no money wasted on taxis and whatever you read in other reviews the three of us felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel each evening about 10. The receptionist at the hotel recommended a fantastic local restaurant where we were made so welcome and where we ate for under £10 each.

• Liked — It was so convenient for all the sights
  • Disliked — Room was too hot at night
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank vicw
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

This hotel was great. Now, don't think you're going to be staying in the Ritz but it is perfect for the busy tourist because the location is great...one block from the Termini. This was the best decision I made by booking a hotel so close to the main point of transportation in the city. The building is a traditional looking Italian building, wide double doors to walk in. You take the elevator to the 3rd floor where the main reception desk is. Every single person I talked to at the front desk was SO nice, helpful, friendly and welcoming. There is always someone there, 24 hours a day. My room was great because it had plenty of space, a window, closet, bathroom. The bathroom was cleaned every day, the sheets changed and made everyday. I really felt safe at this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Please don't read those other reviews that are bad because they are ridiculous, this hotel is the perfect place to stay for a trip to Rome!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends