Champagne Palace
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Max Hotel(Rome)
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
-Location, location, location, centrally located where restaurants (RECOMMENDED: ALFREDO, a 2 mins walk away), souvenir stores and luggage shops (for those who needs additional luggage for their shopping! I got a huge one for €10, bargained it from €12 *no trolley, trolleyed ones were about €25-€50 depending on quality)
-Paid an average of €72.40/night (inclusive of city tax that we were asked to pay upon check in of €3/pax/night).
-Chambermaids was friendly and nice. They can't speak English but they speak French so we communicated in French!
I had requested for double topsheets to the receptionist as I did not want to use their bedspread (they are usually not frequently washed and dumped on the carpeted floor-where people walk on with dirty shoes when not in use) and they didn't understand me, went down the next day and the receptionist come concierge asked me if everything was fine and I told him I didn't get my extra sheet and after much explanation, he asked me to show him exactly what I wanted in order to avoid further misunderstanding.
Problem solved on the spot!
-We did not feel unsafe.
-Clean towels and toiletries provided daily.
Free wifi: ONLY ON THE GROUND FLOOR

Cons:
-Dated rooms and fittings!
-We could hear noises from our door of people who was outside our door. Their phone rings and conversations were very audible.
-Our room was inclusive of breakfast but only my bf had once a quick one of croissant and o/j, he said the view wasn't that great (I had told him that I read a review saying the breakfast room has a great view) and that the breakfast is VERY MINIMALLY SIMPLE.
It's €15 per pax. I don't usually go or hotel breakfasts, unless it's included. For the price that they usually charge, you can have far better breakfasts outside!
-Our room (#303) was right in front of the street and you could hear the sirens from the ambulance and police cars almost every half and hour. Somehow, their siren is of this annoying tune. Should I be back, I will request for one away from the street.
-Reception area where we sat to use the wifi smelled funky as it approaches the evening. No wonder the housekeeping lady was spraying so much air freshener in the day!
Maybe they should invest in an automated air freshener? Just a thought.
-There were a lot of...immigrants hanging around this area (they were spitting a lot), though I was with my boyfriend, so probably this helped.

Observations:

-Rooms are fairly small, suitable for those who intend to stay to explore the city. (we stayed for 7 nights and we spent a fair bit of time in the room).

*Free wifi: ONLY ON THE GROUND FLOOR (Reception area). I guess this forces people to actually connect one to one, face to face as opposed to having 2 (or more) individuals in a room each one busy on their phones.

Tips:
-Bring your own slippers/bedroom slippers (I think 4* hotels don't provide them).
-Request for room away from the street (and elevator) if you're sensitive to noise.
-Taxi to and fro the center is cheap! (Spanish Steps for example is about €8).
We made a mistake of hailing a cab who just passed by us and he told us it was about €13! We asked him why because normally we take them for €8! His meter was dodgily facing himself and we didn't even see when he started the meter and when we arrived, it showed €14+!
ONLY TAKE TAXIS THAT USES THE METER! Safest to take taxis from the taxi stand.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have just been staying here. The room was not big but quite adequate in my opinion. The breakfast was included in the price, its range being somewhat limited but the amounts quite adequate. The location is excellent, being near to Rome's main railway station as well as trams and buses which makes accessing all the sights pretty straightforward. Note the city hotel tax!

The staff of this hotel were consistently helpful and pleasant, the front desk staff being particularly good at giving advice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Very nice staff. Very friendly. Hotel rooms little small . Bathrooms even smaller! Very tired hotel needs a bit of tlc. Breakfast continental good on 7 th floor overlooking some of the city. Many tv ariels though. We had rain over night and when entering breakfast room. Towels on floor and electric machines not working due to ceiling leaking. Drips every where. Ok place for base. Central location near termini. And transport.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is excellent for catching up on the BBC world news, getting your head down then out early in the morning for sight seeing. The rooms are small but very comfy, clean and adequate. If you are spending a lot of time in them then no they are not adquate. But then who wants to spend time in a hotel room when you have Rome to see. Watch out for the City Tax which we were charged at reception. 3 Euros each per night. Didn't know about that. Breakfast staff two people really need to put a smile on their faces. Very miserable. Breakfast basic but again adequate but the hotel is well situated for getting around. 15 mins walk to Collusium and 5 mins walk to Metro/bus station. Very efficient bus service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel was in no way a 4 star hotel as descibed by the main websites. I have stayed in 3 star hotels which were much better. Our room was shabby with scuff marks on the walls. The tv was prehistoric- a 14 inch portable with snowy local channels. There was only one nightstand on one side of the double bed so I had to put my things on the floor. The bathroom was substandard.with limescale all over the sink unit. The shower was hard to get into as the bidet was in front of the door. I phoned for an extra pillow and was told to go down to reception for it as he was on his own ( at 10.30 in the evening!). Breakfast was not up to 4 star standard. The bread was stale on sunday mroning and we had to queue for a table.
positives? The location was great and it wasn't too noisy and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple