“Location, Location!”

Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection
Ranked #88 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Location, Location!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here with my mum for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, the best thing about this hotel is that it was literally within walking distance (if you don't mind a bit of walking) to just about everything you needed to see. There is also a Metro right outside which means you can really enjoy all of the sights of Rome (we took a Metro to the Vatican).

The hotel itself is very posh. I am not one to stay in 5 star places - as long as it's clean and there's a comfy bed I am usually happy. But this was a treat from my mum and an extravagant one it was too! The roof top pool was a highlight as well as the air conditioning! It was really hot in August as you can imagine! The room itself was cleaned everyday, very spacious and the bed was fine (huge!). The bathroom was also very luxurious and it was good to have the option of a bath or shower. Didn't have any complaints - especially as there was WIFI, a safe and a TV!

However, I can imagine that if you are used to 5 star luxury then this may not hit the mark as there were a few things that I thought could be better (such as an iron and a few extra channels on the TV. Some areas are also a little run down and could do with a bit of maintenance),but I am not picky so this didn't bother me.

One of the only things that did bother me throughout the entire stay was the expense of the hotel (8 Euros for an Americano? Really?). I knew that this was the case after reading reviews beforehand so I was prepared... it just felt a little unwelcoming when at the moment of check-in there was so much talk about paying extra for this and that and 'Oh would you like to upgrade your room for 'only' 70 euros a night?'. After my mum had forked out enough already for our room, I thought this was a little distasteful. But hey, it didn't ruin our holiday - I just think that the staff could do with being a little more genuine and friendly - not money happy!

A few tips -

1) there is a lovely place on Via Nazionale that you can have breakfast fairly cheap - it's about 3/4 streets down on the right (sorry can't remember the name!).

2) If you are going to do the Colosseum my advice to skip the queue would be to go to the Roman Forum entrance (which is at the end of Via Cavour) and buy a ticket for 12 Euros. This gives you access to the Forum, Palentine Hill and the Colosseum. When you exit the Forum on the other side you can then head straight for the Colosseum and enter without having to queue. Honestly, this saved us about 1-2 hours. I would suggest doing this early though as crowds do build very quickly.

3) Be careful at Termini Station, on the Metro and around main attractions. Pickpockets are everywhere! I have been to places that are known for this like Barcelona, Paris and I live in Central London but I can honestly say that Rome was the worst I have seen it! They are quite obvious but they do try to get you when you are vulnerable (like at Termini when I was buying my tickets for the Leonardo Express with a suitcase in tow, a guy was standing behind me very close and got very angry when I cancelled my purchase and went to a guarded ticket area!). Obviously common sense is the key - a zipped up bag and being aware of your surroundings should be fine. There is also a good police presence around Rome so I did feel fairly safe.

4) Remember to leave yourself 3 euros per person per night for your city tax.

Overall, I loved Rome and I am glad I stayed at this hotel! Hope you fall in love with the city too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank missbettyems

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst on a short break in Rome. We chose the hotel from its great recommendations on TA and the fact it has a rooftop pool. The hotel itself is is lovely, its very grand, very clean, the rooms are spacious and the beds are huge! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone if they can get a good deal.

The downsides if I am being fussy

The breakfast is terrible and certainly not what you would expect in a 5 star luxury hotel for €35 a head. I (unfortunately) have to stay in hotels approx 15-20 nights a month across Europe with work and I have to say I have had better breakfasts in more budget type hotels. Whilst the spread and tables are dressed up to look fancy the substance and quality isn't there. The hot options from the menu are very poorly prepared and low quality produce. We only ate there once and dined out at the various cafes nearby for the rest of the stay at a fraction of the cost.

Again being fussy, no kettle or coffee machine.

The rooftop is cramped and the pool is freezing

The food and drinks on the rooftop are extortionate - €25 for a Caesar Salad, €10 for a small beer

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bolty100
Reviewed August 14, 2013

First time in Rome. We were told about the Exedra by friends of ours.
Stunning hotel, incredible staff, great location, lovely roof top 'lounging pool'.

Slight downsides, if i had to pick, the bed was a bit hard and the gym equipment limited but everything else made up for this. Highly recommend it.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband, one year old daughter, and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a 12 day Italy vacation. While we had considered staying at other luxury hotels near the Spanish steps, we were very happy we chose the Boscolo Exedra. The deluxe room was absolutely huge which allowed our toddler to keep busy walking around. The room and hotel were very clean and the concierge was most helpful in selecting restaurants. While the hotel is not located in a touristy area and while there are not a lot of restaurants nearby, cabs are very easy in the city and the metro station is right on the corner of the hotel. We were surprised at how close all of the tourist sites are in relation to each other and if we did not have a one year old we would have walked almost everywhere. There is a small pool and lounge area on the hotel roof which was nice for a quick dip to cool off. Great hotel - you cannot go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in August. The hotel lobby is very beautiful in a classic way and the staff were friendly and helpful. We booked a standard room which was spacious and well furnished with a beautiful high ceiling. During the stay there was a heatwave in Italy and the temperature during the day reached the high 30's. The hotel provided a cool sanctuary in between sight seeing and we used the pool daily. The hotel and pool are both very clean and beautiful and the staff were friendly and approachable at all times. We also used the car service to take us back to the airport, this was good value - only 7 euro's more than getting a regular taxi. The food and drinks are quite expensive but there are some excellent restaurants within a short walking distance (we can highly recommend Babbo's). The hotel is in a fantastic location with most of the main attractions within walking distance - even in august heat. Be careful on the metro as we got pick pocketed.

1 Thank Nocturnal_star
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time to me in Roma I chose this hotel as per the recommendation of the member of Tripadvisor, thanks to all member it was exciting and enjoyable two knight where you feel you are living in palace where the high roof and big window and very species room, thanks to all hotel staff how made my experience non forgettable.
I fully recommend this hotel to any one visiting Rome.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank WBaghdadi
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay in this hotel, we paid extra and had a deluxe room which was very spacious and beautifully furnished, although the beds were extremely hard, the breakfast was delicious served in a very peaceful restaurant the selection of eggs,bacon,sausage,omelette,breads,cheeses,hams and croissants were all fresh and tasty. The rooftop pool and Sun loungers were a very welcome sight after a full day sightseeing in 37 degrees heat.

2 Thank tracey s