I stayed here with my mum for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, the best thing about this hotel is that it was literally within walking distance (if you don't mind a bit of walking) to just about everything you needed to see. There is also a Metro right outside which means you can really enjoy all of the sights of Rome (we took a Metro to the Vatican).
The hotel itself is very posh. I am not one to stay in 5 star places - as long as it's clean and there's a comfy bed I am usually happy. But this was a treat from my mum and an extravagant one it was too! The roof top pool was a highlight as well as the air conditioning! It was really hot in August as you can imagine! The room itself was cleaned everyday, very spacious and the bed was fine (huge!). The bathroom was also very luxurious and it was good to have the option of a bath or shower. Didn't have any complaints - especially as there was WIFI, a safe and a TV!
However, I can imagine that if you are used to 5 star luxury then this may not hit the mark as there were a few things that I thought could be better (such as an iron and a few extra channels on the TV. Some areas are also a little run down and could do with a bit of maintenance),but I am not picky so this didn't bother me.
One of the only things that did bother me throughout the entire stay was the expense of the hotel (8 Euros for an Americano? Really?). I knew that this was the case after reading reviews beforehand so I was prepared... it just felt a little unwelcoming when at the moment of check-in there was so much talk about paying extra for this and that and 'Oh would you like to upgrade your room for 'only' 70 euros a night?'. After my mum had forked out enough already for our room, I thought this was a little distasteful. But hey, it didn't ruin our holiday - I just think that the staff could do with being a little more genuine and friendly - not money happy!
A few tips -
1) there is a lovely place on Via Nazionale that you can have breakfast fairly cheap - it's about 3/4 streets down on the right (sorry can't remember the name!).
2) If you are going to do the Colosseum my advice to skip the queue would be to go to the Roman Forum entrance (which is at the end of Via Cavour) and buy a ticket for 12 Euros. This gives you access to the Forum, Palentine Hill and the Colosseum. When you exit the Forum on the other side you can then head straight for the Colosseum and enter without having to queue. Honestly, this saved us about 1-2 hours. I would suggest doing this early though as crowds do build very quickly.
3) Be careful at Termini Station, on the Metro and around main attractions. Pickpockets are everywhere! I have been to places that are known for this like Barcelona, Paris and I live in Central London but I can honestly say that Rome was the worst I have seen it! They are quite obvious but they do try to get you when you are vulnerable (like at Termini when I was buying my tickets for the Leonardo Express with a suitcase in tow, a guy was standing behind me very close and got very angry when I cancelled my purchase and went to a guarded ticket area!). Obviously common sense is the key - a zipped up bag and being aware of your surroundings should be fine. There is also a good police presence around Rome so I did feel fairly safe.
4) Remember to leave yourself 3 euros per person per night for your city tax.
Overall, I loved Rome and I am glad I stayed at this hotel! Hope you fall in love with the city too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blending modern sophistication with a traditional 19th-century palace design, the Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection, is a truly breathtaking sight to behold and unparalleled stay to experience. Sitting gracefully in the renowned Piazza della Repubblica,stunning Paris landmarks such as the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum are only a short trip away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boscolo Exedra Hotel Rome
- Boscolo Exedra Rome
- Exedra Hotel Rome