“No Service Here.”

Ranked #2,494 of 3,621 Rome B&B and Inns
Fort Worth
“No Service Here.”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The bed was good and the price was ok, but there is no service. The single staff person on duty (three staff shared 24 hrs on a rotation) was so anti-service, it came across rude. We got up early for several tours, and to catch our flight home. The comment from front desk: "No breakfast until 7:30". "But how about some hot water to make instant coffee?". "NO! Nothing before 7:30." I mean I'm standing there looking at the kettle on the stove, I could have done it myself....It was like torture. Check-in time is stated to be 11:00am....but since they weren't ready, we were told (thru the intercom as we stood on the street with all our bags) to come back at 12:00! No wireless internet, but they said we could check e-mails with their computer...I found out that means only when the staff is not playing computer games, and even if you do get on, they kick you off after 5 minutes. They claim a breakfast each day.....it is American coffee (no espresso or cappuccino), one small glass of juice, and a pre-packaged croissant. It was very minimal, not sufficient for multiple days. I would not recommend this hotel/condo to any American, unless all you expected was a bed. They could be so much better with a little hospitable attitude. The place was, however, very clean.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of service orientation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
Alexandria
Reviewed June 11, 2007

The location is the absolute best -- close to everything and restaurants nearby. They say they are on 2nd floor but when you go in you have to drag suitcases up with long marble stairs to a very tiny elevator . It takes you up to second floor but it seemed like many, many floors and then you have to drag your suitcases down some more flights of stairs. The B&B appeared to be in an apartment building, possibly offices. The photos are misleading - the foyer & rooms are very tiny. . One innkeeper spoke fairly good English and the other could hardly understand or speak any English. After checking into our tiny room, we discovered that the fan wouldn't work, AC wouldn't work and TV (English channel) would not work. They did not discount our stay for these things. The innkeepers could not solve the problems. Our room faced the street so there was lots of noise into the night if we had our windows open. There was lots of mold on the bathroom ceiling and wall. Our daughter had a single room the size of a closet and the mold on her bathroom wall was extremely bad. The good things were they arranged pickup at the airport and to the cruise ship. They had a computer we could use free of charge for checking email. Aside from the problems, they were very personable and truly tried to help.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Non-working, AC, fan and TV, mold on wall
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

London
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I stayed at the Soggiorno Comfort for one week in late February 2007 and I must say, compared to some of the other reviews I have read, I was pleasantly surprised.
The B&B is only 10 - 15 minutes walk away from the main Rome railway station, Termini. However the sign for the B&B is only a small gold plaque on the outside of the building, so it's not easily spotted from afar, as long as you have the directions and the building number, you will be fine. You need to 'buzz in' to the building and the B&B will be found on the second floor. (I believe the rest of the building to be residential). There is a lift, but you need to walk up half a flight of stairs to get to the lift and then either another half a flight up or down some stairs to the reception of the B&B as the lift is in between floors, so this probably isn't an ideal place to stay for those with mobility problems.
The B&B was beautifully, but basically decorated, no fancy mod-cons or fancy furniture. The rooms could be described as small, but there is enough room to store your things as well as live comfortably in the room. The room was clean and our towels were replaced every day. The room also has satellite T.V - some channels are fuzzy - but who wants to stay in and watch T.V anyway as there's so much to do in Rome?!
I found the three members of staff that were on shifts whilst I was there, really friendly and helpful. They were great for advice on the city and general queries. The staff give you a map of the city on your arrival and point out the sights to see and where they are. The reception is also open 24 hours a day, so if you want to stay out late or go out early there is always someone there to let you in.
Breakfast, like the B&B, is basic. You can have your breakfast any time between 07:30 am to 09:00 am and Breakfast is brought to your room. Breakfast consists of a Hot Drink, Juice, a Croissant and a small packet of 'Toastini's' and some butter and fruit compots. This was perfectly adequate to get you through the morning, until Brunch.
I would say overall this B&B was good value for money - we payed 525.00 Euros for a 7 night stay. It is excellently situated - it's pretty much in the middle of all the sights, albeit in a quiet street which eliminated a lot of the hustle and bustle of the more main streets, and we found that none of the sights were further than 20 minutes walk away. I would say it is ideal for couples, or small groups who just want somewhere convenient to stay, and are more likely to spend their time out and about and not those who want an atmospheric and romantic hotel as part of their trip to Rome.
I would definately return.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank ellabelly1
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2006

I couldn’t agree more with previous comments from New York and Susan's from Atlanta. Our expectations were high and we were pretty disappointed upon entering our room #1.

It was our first visit to Rome (loved the city!) and I wish we stayed elsewhere because cleanness, comfort and good service were our priorities. This B&B does not really do a good job in those areas. We paid 130,00 EUR per night. I recommend that you read your confirmation letter carefully, ours apparently stated that we had to pay cash for our stay upon check-out, which was problematic to come up with that much cash in one day, although they agreed to charge some of it to our credit card.

Our room was smaller then average size, not very cozy or super clean, bed was not very comfortable just a thin mattress. Bathroom was also very basic, in a need of some upgrade or at least removal of mildew. Service was very impersonal, two college kids (I assume) running the place just simply didn’t care.

On the positive note: AC worked great, it was pretty quite during the night, this B&B is close to many attractions and train station, free coffee and toast in the morning were nice, it was nice to be able to use internet although the use was limited.

So if you are looking for something basic in a good location, this could work for you. We would prefer to stay elsewhere next time.

2 Thank MariaSF2006
NY NY
Reviewed June 1, 2006

Stayed here one week in May. Booked this based on other reviews, but our expectations were higher than they should have been, so I am just writing to forewarn anyone that indeed, as the prior review said, I would only recommend it as a place to sleep, and if it is your first visit in Rome I suggest paying an extra 50-100 a night for a hotel or better pension--you will be glad you did. We could have definitely saved in other areas and it would have made for a better visit.
Problems: the room was small, low on charm and the service was bare-bones, even for a pension (and we are not used to luxury by any means). The lack of cleanliness was most disturbing. After five nights our sheets & towels had not been changed despite our request and we wound up having to ask for sheets at midnight when we returned--and changing the bed ourselves. The sink, bidet and shelves were not cleaned once during our visit so we had to clean them ourselves. A huge patch of mold was growing behind the toilet. Also we found silverfish one morning, which promptly hid behind the nightstand -- I decided to not investigate further, but it was pretty gross. The bed blanket had a huge stain--looked like coffee, I hope it was--and the bedspread also was stained with small dark spots of indetrminate origin, and badly frayed. No mattress pad under the sheets--very unpleasant to find out when we changed the sheets. If you decide to come, bring your own towels and sheets.
No one seemed at all concerned if we were pleased with the service or room at any time during our stay, though everyone was pleasant enough (again very limited English from many of them).
Positives: pretty quiet--until about the fourth night when the bass from a nearby nightclub started. Bring earplugs in case that happens to you and that will take care of it. No hallway noise. AC in the room works well. The free Internet is on their house computer and use seems dependent on whether or not they are using it for work or not--we asked to use it one morning for a minute and were told we would have to wait until that night since they were using it for work (this while the woman was behind the counter and no one at the computer).
Location: close to Termini and about 25 minutes walk to Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, etc. About 20 from the Colesium. One block off of Via Nazionale which makes taking the bus places very convenient. The street itself was pretty quiet.
All in all only good if you can put aside the issues of cleanliness, friendliness, and charm. Personally we were very disappointed and would not return at even half the price (we paid $135 a night). I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, but I would not one someone sensitive to these issues to have the same experience we had.

2 Thank wicki10023
Warminster
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights - 5/13 to 5/15. It was exactly what we thought it would be - small, family run B&B, clean and comfortable with moderate (for Rome) prices. The rooms are not large, but were quite adequate for our needs since we were rarely in them. The bed in room 4 was actually the best mattress I had throughout my entire 2 week trip through Italy.

The bathroom was quite roomy, with a really decent sized shower. My only complaint would be some mold on the bottom of the shower door. This really did not concern me as everywhere I placed my feet was scrupulously clean. Water pressure in the shower wasn't terrific, but I have been reading that this is common in Rome. They do have a thinner, linen type of towel, which I actually liked quite a bit. They do a perfectly wonderful job of drying you off and they dry quickly themselves.

The room was clean, quiet and comfortable, and the family who ran the B&B were lovely and accomodating. The owner, Rita, gave us a recommendation for a local restaurant specializing in Sardinian cuisine which was wonderful. The owner, Matteo, treated us like royalty because Rita had sent us, even providing us with free after-dinner liquors.

Finally, the location is terrific. Lots of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. Trajan's Column, Market, the Roman Forum and the Coloseum are only a 10 minute walk. You are only 1 block off the Via Nazionale which provides all kinds of bus options. My advice - get a bus route transit map as soon as you get to Rome. You will solve all kinds of problems.

All in all, we felt the Soggiorno Comfort was a great value and would stay there again.

1 Thank OlderTraveler
Atlanta
Reviewed May 19, 2006

A bare-bones good bargain for the seasoned traveler on a budget. How you rate it depends on what you want in a hotel. This isn't really a hotel - just a hallway with 6 rented rooms.
PROS:
inside historic district
7 blocks from Termini
AC works great
Very, very quiet
free internet (limited time)
Inexpensive
tall windows
TV and phone in room
tile floors
safe in room
CONS:
17 steps up to elevator, then 8 steps down to 3rd floor
no bellman or help with bags
teenage staff not informed about tourist sites (hours, charges)
they speak extremely limited English
10x14 room is a tight squeeze
looks like college dorm room
clean bathroom
ugly view (but fresh air)
threadbare sheets
thin cotton towels
soap but not shampoo
shower head comes off from hose, must hold
no common area in which to mingle with other guests
coffee, juice and croissant brought to room for breakfast but no place to put it
takes a genius to figure out 2-remote TV operation

Great cheap place for sleeping but would be depressing for first-time visitors to Rome.

Susan