“Dream Roman Wedding”

Ranked #2,568 of 3,644 Rome B&B and Inns
Sheffield
“Dream Roman Wedding”
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We got married in Rome and stayed at relais banchi vecchi for 4 nights. It was an amazing B & B and made our wedding a dream come true. The rooms are huge and have loads of character, with large wooden beams on the ceiling, parquet flooring, marble bathroom and lovely dark furniture. It had everything you could need, a small kitchenette, satellite TV and air conditioning. Melina, the owner was very friendly and so were the staff that brought breakfast up to our rooms. We loved having breakfast in bed, you normally pay extra in a hotel! The location was perfect and it was very secure. We got a great deal as we stayed in August and we would definately come back and stay here again. To sum up, it is the best B & B we have ever stayed in!!

• Liked — The character and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank BethandRich

Solo
Kent
Reviewed June 24, 2007

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding anniversary for 2 nights in June and found the room and location absolutely perfect. Wooden beams, marble bath, comfy bed and right in the middle of all of the tourist attractions. Excellent service from the lovely staff. Also gave us a key for the back door on the last day (after checkout) so that we could keep our luggage in the foyet. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a reasonably priced, well looked after room in a sight seeing location.

• Liked — Well looked after, good location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisiana
Reviewed June 22, 2007

This B&B has a lot to offer but also a very serious drawback. There is no staff there on the premises after noon and there is no phone for guests to use to contact the owner when a problem occurs. The air conditoner in our friends' room didn't work properly and our bathroom light didn't work. Our satellite tv never worked for the four nights we stayed there. On our second day our friends were assured that the owner would be in her office (which is locked and has the only phone) at 5 p.m. as they were expecting to receive a phone call . That same evening, after shampooing my hair I discovered there was no hairdryer. (The rooms are advertised as being equipped with hairdryers.) We had to keep going downstairs to check and see if the owner had come in and she finally showed up about 7 p.m. She assured me that of course there are hairdryers but you had to ask her for one. I was wondering how she expected the guests to guess this as she didn't bother to provide that information on check-in. In fact there are no written instructions anywhere regarding operating the tv or the air conditioner, or how to contact her in an emergency.

The breakfast is served in the rooms but there is really no place to sit and eat it comfortably. We complained that the coffee was cold when it arrived and had to finally send it back to get hot coffee.

In spite of these problems, the property is lovely, the rooms large and the bathrooms large and very nicely furnished (although the hot water never gets hot and the pressure is nil). It wouldn't take much to correct the problems and it would be a really attractive place to stay. We're not asking for hotel service, but telephone access for guests is a necessity. Italians are famous for relying on their cell phones but foreign travelers (especially from the U.S.) don't generally have use of them abroad.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank labelladonna
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2007

Hi my husband took me here for my birthday in Nov 06, and it was lovely. The room was large with wooden beams accross the ceiling and a huge double bed. It cld get a bit noisy with the windows open with traffic noise, tho not a busy road. It was great having our breakfast brought up to us in the morning which isnt huge but fresh coffee and croissants. The bathroom is superb and very clean. The best part is its so near everything. Ok there isnt someone there all the time but we dont want fussed over and like to do our own thing anyway, the main thing is someone is there to meet you and bring your brekky up and see you off. Superb! Just a warning re taxi from bus station whoppping overcharge which my husband didnt pay and paid the suggested fare that the lady at the Relais adv was normal. Driver not HP but knew he was in wrong and drove off not too chuffed. Agree the fair before you get in cab.

• Liked — It was so central and clean
  • Disliked — Road outside can be noisy with mopeds in the morning
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelstorrie
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2007

For the price it was an excellent value. Fantastic location (tho a bit tough to find, thank God I had read on this forum that it was down a tiny alley and the door is practially unmarked except for a tiny gold plaque.) My apartment agency booked this for me for one night before my apartment rental was to begin, so I had not researched it personally.
Newton was wonderful, he greeted me by name and showed me upstairs. Elevator, yay! The room was a good size, ditto the spotless bath. I was jetlagged and disoriented while I was there but really was happy with the overall accommodations. I would not like to spend a week there as I prefer an apartment to a hotel room but this place was perfect for my one-night need. As stated above, this is not really a hotel and you are mostly on your own.

On Day #2 I moved about 2 blocks away to a very large apartment on Via dei Capellari which I loved also.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank LesterB
London
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I was a tour guide in Rome for 3 years and I lived right around the corner from this place. I picked up dozens of my clients from here and they each gave glowing reviews. I also booked in several of my private clients and my mother and the mother of my husband. I always dealt directly with the owner, who is lovely, but who is not always available. I think for a lot of clients coming from the states this may seem strange, and the fact that you pay up front, no receipt and no person there waiting on you hand and foot can be a bit odd? However, I've seen the inside of 100's of hotels in Rome and stayed in some of the "nicest". I have to say that this place is tops for location and it can't be beat at this price for it's charm and neatness. You want a scam, just try booking at the Minerva or the Helvetia or even the Hassler, Rome has very different standards of quality than many of you may be used to.

Stayed January 2005
6 Thank GSmarchal
Texas
Reviewed November 30, 2006

While this looks like a nice place to stay (it was), we booked three nights before we went to Florence and then three nights after our return. When we returned, we discovered they had "over booked". They offered us accomodations at another property but it was a terrible place to stay even though they gave us a "discount".

Don't stay here. These people are dishonest. I actually spoke to the owner about it and she said, "The airlines overbook all the time," as if this justified leaving us having to accept their second tier substitution since we didn't have other reservations. We left the noisy place they put us in for our last three days and went to the airport Hilton!

Stayed October 2004