“Beware Of Booking Manager”

and 1 more site!
Relais Banchi Vecchi
Ranked #2,609 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2006

THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMS. After emaling them directly off thier websites (due to all of your great reviews) The booking manager for this property informed us it was booked up but soldu us on another property they had just taken over named San Cosimato .. When we did agree to the new property and gave them our cc info, they disappeared. I had to call seem in Italy several times and was never able to speak to who I booked with over email. The other people working for them advised me they made an error and had no rooms. NO NOTIFICATION OR NOTHING FROM ANYONE WORKING THERE EITHER BY EMAIL OR PHONE TO EVEN ADVICE ME OF THEIR MISTAKE. Now we are two days away from leaving and have nowhere to stay. I am so upset with this place and I would 100% not recommend it. Perhaps they do have great reviews but if they mess up your reseravation then you have nothing to rave about. As a travel agent myself, I cannot belive how disorganized they are to have made this mistake and the LACK of service is shocking. Do not trust these people or believe anything they say as you will never be able to relax wondering that if you arrive in Rome will you have a place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank TravelAgent911

Reviewed June 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed here from May 28-June 1. I booked this pensione based on all the reviews here at TA. Milena (owner) and Newton's (housekeeper) warm hospitality was greatly appreciated!

The pensione is located on a tiny street (it looked like a back alley to us) called via dei Pavone which is right off one of the city's major streets -- Corso Vitorio Emanuele II, therefore, that makes it easy to find your bearing when you explore the city. Once you step out of the pensione to Corso V. E., you will find the bus stop, a small but very good pizza shop (for a cheap/quick lunch), and a supermarket (for bottled water, or even wine to take back to our room!). And the must-sees such as St Peter's, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, and Pantheon were all within 15 min-walk away!

The room was beautifully decorated just like the photos on their website. Other nice room amenities include satellite TV, small fridge, remote air-conditioner, hot plate, small sink and basic cutlery. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the marble bathroom was spacious and kept immaculate, (it even had a very nice smelling soap, and scented candle!) The only draw back of the room was that it didn’t have a telephone nor a safe - luckily we managed to do without them during our 5-day stay.

Breakfast was brought to our room every morning by Newton at 8:30am (you book the time with Milena when check in)! It was your basic continental breakfast: croissant, capuccino, orange juice and melba toast.

Just a tip if you're arriving by taxi: make sure you have a good street map that you can show the drive where exactly Via dei Pavone is. We didn't have one, and the driver just dropped us off a lane away from Via dei Pavone, we didn’t know then, so we had to walk up and down Via Banchi Vecchi a few times before finding the place.

We loved everything about Relais Banchi Vecchi, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank inbetweendays
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Booked this B&B after reading the reviews on this site. I was not disappointed. The location is ideal for getting out and seeing all the sights. It is only a 10 minute stroll to reach the Piazza Navona and surrounding streets which have lovely places to eat.
Once you step out of the little alleyway where the entrance is you can see the Castel St. Angelo directly ahead of you. FAB !! The rooms are immaculate and Newton the handyman is so friendly, nothing is too much trouble. As with anywhere in the heart of Rome you are going to be woken up by the sound of motorcycles, but who wants to lie in bed in this city? Will definately stay here on our next visit to Rome. Note : It can be abit tricky to locate the front entrance for the first time, so check with the taxi driver before he goes off.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank LINTZ
Reviewed January 26, 2006

My wife and I were wrapping up our honeymoon last spring. We had a flight out of Rome the morning of April 4th, and we trained it from Venice back to Rome the afternoon of April 3rd. We called Milena and alerted to her our late arrival, and she told us that she'd tape the key to the door! So friendly and trusting - very unexpected! We arrived there by taxi from Termini (10 euros?), and found the key and a note telling us welcom and which room we were in. The rooms are beautiful! Exposed wooden beams, terrific tiled floors, and huge bed. Though not the newest Sealy Posture Pedic mattress, it was fine for us. the room was immaculate as was the marbled bathroom. Loved the blackout shutters as well. In the AM, our ride to the airport was early, so we had to rush to check out. Newton was working the office downstairs and we paid him on departure - 144 euros. Location was pretty good if my memory serves me correctly. We only had 1 night there, and looking back, we should have stayed there when we first got to Rome. If and when we go back, we'll try and stay here for all our time in Rome!

• Stayed: April 2005
1  Thank gkbass
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Well worth trying - we arrived having been collected by a car organised by Milena. Slightly nervous on arrival but after experiencing the circular lift and Milena's hospitality started to relax!! The room (No 2) - yes it is very dark and the bed very uncomfortable and the street incredibly noisy - especially on Saturday night when half of Rome seemed to be partying outside our window!!! Needless to say an excellent location, delicious room delivered breakfast and wonderful to be able to make coffee and hot chocolate on the little stove top!! The area is absolutely perfect and so pretty with wonderful shops within a 2 minute walk - bought most of my Christmas presents just in the area alone!! Experienced some wonderful meals, also within walking distance and having been an avid fan of Paris which we visit at least three times a year (partly because of the convenience of Eurostar from London) I am now totally hooked on Rome and cant wait to return. Whilst a little more luxury would be great I think, at the end of the day the BV would be our choice again if not just because of the price and perfect location.

• Stayed: December 2005
Reviewed December 2, 2005

Rome was the first stop on our trip to Italy this past October. We were nervous about finding the B&B, however, after leaving the airport, we were able to find a shuttle into the city by where you would take the train into the city (worth every euro...only 20 euro/pp). Our driver was able to locate the B&B, and even walked us up to the door. I was a little hesitant from the short walk from the main street down the cobblestone alley to the front door, but the B&B was simply wonderful! We were greeted by Milena, who was very helpful with giving us some ideas on where to eat and where to go. It was good to have seen her the first day, because that was the only time we did see her. She showed us up to our room....via an elevator - very uncommon in Italy. Granted, the elevator could barely fit my husband, myself, and our suitecases...but it saved us from lugging them up the stairs. You'll like that feature if you tend to overpack like me.

The room was very clean, looked exactly like the pictures on the B&B's website, and faced Via Banchi Vecchi. There was a lot of street noise from all of the mopeds driving by during the day, but at night it was very quiet. We liked its close proximity to the Vatican City, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo di Fiori. We liked Trastevere, and would have gone there more, but it's about a 40 minute walk from the B&B.

The first morning that we used our breakfast coupons, we were a little confused as to which coffee bar we were supposed to go to, since there was no name on the coupon Milena gave us. However, after one wrong stop we made our way to the right one... There are only a couple coffee/breakfast stops that it could have been. You just tell the guy at the cash register that you want to use the coupons, have a seat, and they bring you the latte and pastries. We left a couple Euros as a tip, but no one else seemed to be doing that.

The only thing that didn't work in our room was our little mini fridge. We had some water in there that never did get below room temp.

There's also a restaurant directly across from the B&B, but there's no sign with its name, no hours, and no menu...but it was busy every night, and smelled delicious. Overall this B&B is a bargain in price for both quality and location to the top Roman tourist stops.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank mmbarb
Reviewed November 25, 2005

I was a little nervous about staying at a Bed and Breakfast on my first trip to Rome, but everything was great. Only problem was street noise from some construction, but that wasnt the hotels fault. Really nice rooms, super clean and big with a great bathroom and comfortable beds (and the pillows were fine). I agree with the other review about the bath temperature. It seems like the tub itself zaps all the heat out of the water. Excellent value. Location is great. Quick walk to campo and Navona areas as well as trastevere, vatican etc. Buses are very easy and right around the corner. I stayed at another cheap hotel and it was nowhere near as nice.

• Stayed: November 2005