“Nice but not a 4 star”

Ranked #469 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Cyprus
“Nice but not a 4 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights beginning of May. It was our first time in Rome and it was special as we were celebrating our 2 yr anniversary. Even though this hotel was kind of expensive it looked really chic so we decided to treat ourselves. ...It wasn't worth it at all. If I have spent half of what i have paid I would have been satisfied with what i got...but with those prices it just doen't do it for me. The room's size is ok but is in immediate need of renovation! I heard another couple complaining that their shower wasn't working properly. The walls in the shower room were cracked. Nothing special about it at all, just a simple 3-star-hotel room.The view was an office building across the street. Note that the price did not include breakfast (!) and after reading some of the reviews here i didnt even want to try it for 20 euro per person. I can't say anything about the food and the spa as I haven't tried any of them.

The pros of this hotel are the location which was excellent as you can walk almost everywhere and the service. Everyone was very friendly and very willing to help.

I would't recommend a friend to stay at this hotel as it is definitely not worth what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

My partner and I stopped at the Boscolo hotel for 3 nights in Rome.
As soon as we arrived you could tell it was a 5 star hotel. There were concierge to open the doors for you and carry your case inside, and as soon as you got to the reception desk the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive.
The room was lovely and clean and maids came round every morning to change your sheets and towels. Although we didnt eat at the hotel due to the cost, the menu was diverse. There was a lovely spa with a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi to end a full day of sight seeing, and they were always stacked plentyful with fresh towels and dressing gowns!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nataliabiggs
miami, usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

Stayed at Aleph Boscolo with my family on Easter 2010. This hotel is perfectly located in the center of Rome, close to all the main attractions and shops. Enjoyed the decoration and environment. Our room was very clean and spacious, the staff is very kind and helpful, specially Enzo D'Amico, he advised me about good restaurants, gave me good shopping tips, and responded promptly to all my inquiries. The spa and giant roman bath is a must. I will return to this hotel in the near future and definitely recommend it to everyone. If you need further information please contact me at gilda283@aol.com.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gildaxo
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

We have just returned from an amazing weekend in Rome staying at this Heaven and Hell themed hotel in the swanky part of town. The samurai wariors who greet you stand at the entrance of the hotel lobby which is kitted out in demonic reds and blacks but the staff are like little angels. They were the friendliest, most helpful and most charming hosts and their pride in their hotel shone through. They couldn't wait to show us round and point out the little idiosyncracies of the design and tell us a bit of the history of the building. The spa is a dream and just what you neeed after a hard day site seeing. Our room was small but perfectly formed with a view over the backgammon courtyard complete with giant dice - I did say it was a bit different!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank FairyNuffManchester
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Aleph to celebrate our one year anniversary. When we arrived at around 6:00 pm, there was no one to help us with our luggage. We got to the front desk, however, and the staff was friendly and welcoming.
That same night, when we returned from dinner, we ordered drinks at the lobby bar, only to be told that the bar had been rented out to a group and we could not be in the area.
We would have to take our drinks elsewhere. (A whiskey and a beer cost nearly $50.00 USD)
When we asked the bartender if he would mind taking a picture of us he found it necessary to remind us that we could not be in the area and did not take the picture.
The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. Location was excellent! Steps away from the Barberini Metro Station, minutes from the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Plenty of shops and restaurants in the area.
My husband and I stay at 5 star hotels all the time and this hotel does not match the description. There are so many hotels to choose from, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria721
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

A big disappointment! We got a discounted stay at the Aleph, and to be honest I would have been furious if I had paid full price. Even with the free night, its still over priced.

The rooms were small, but well furnished, breakfast was included in my rate but VERY limited, the business centre was not available (the manager let me use his PC to check my flights), the bar was closed for a function, and toilets had a curtain sellotaped to the walls as the door was broken.... There was no security viewer in the door either.

On the upside, the location is great – near Berberini metro station (handy for Termini and then the airport), local bus stops, taxis nearby etc some good bars/restaurants nearby and the Spanish Steps about 10 min walk away.

With limited time in Rome, we didnt use the spa (when we did go to look at it, it was closed - but the spa prices are scary!)

The staff were also friendly and helpful, expect the doorman who couldn’t accept I can carry my own bags and then never bothered opening the door for us again, and the bar staff – it took 2 of them to get me some ice.

Dont get me wrong, this was a comfortable place to stay, but I stay away a lot for both work and leisure, and this was about a 3 – 4 star standard.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

Contrary to some of the other reviews, we had a fabulous stay at the Aleph for 2 nights on our 2.5 week Italian odyssey.

Pros
- Location is fantastic....metres from Piazza Barberini and 5 min walk to Spanish Steps area
- Very funky albeit slightly scary lobby area. As many have noted, there is a heaven / hell theme
- Had a decent sized room with very modern funky bathroom including our own jacuzzi. Furnishings were modern, but not ultra modern...looks maybe 10 years old
- Spa / sauna / pool area was also very funky, although the gym is very small and the water in the jacuzzi was too cold
- Had fantastic service including an Asian hotel style welcome with a sitdown briefing

Cons
- got a small discount off expedia, but was still exxy. May have expected something a little better for the price?
- Breakfast was ok, not worth the cost though (I think it was 20 Euros?)

Other things to note:
Well worth heading to Travestere for food....the restaurant Carlo Menta was very good and very cheap. We also did a Vatican tour arranged through the concierge for around 59 Euros per person...well worth it to have someone explain things and have a hassle free experience...we had a fantastic guide called Carlotta.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple