“Nothing special, but nothing terrible”

Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna
Ranked #1,089 of 3,743 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Rooms were very clean. Breakfast area was very crowded, and there weren't many people staying at hotel. Breakfast items were very basic compared to other locations we visited during our Italy trip.

At night, when you visit the in-suite bathroom, I found it very impractical, as there was no night-light, and you had to turn on the light outside the bathroom, then step up a large step, to get in to the bathroom. A night light would have been very helpful. Our party had 2 rooms, and this was a challenge with both rooms. Also, there were no English speaking stations on the TV. When you're in your room, TV can be a nice way to wind down.

The location was not easy to find, but that may be Rome. We were there 4 days, and never found it easy to navigate back to our hotel.

The staff was pleasant, but I don't think this was an exceptional property and would look to find an alternate place to stay next time.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank Leslie R

A TripAdvisor Member
Queensland Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2005

After reading glowing reviews on Tripadvisor we booked and stayed for 4 nights in October at Il Piccolo di piazza di Spagna in Rome and were very disappointed. The first night was spent in a tiny room with a pokey bathroom, hard bed and very noisy. Next morning we were moved to another, larger room with a balcony only to find after settling in that it only had a hand held shower over a bath, without any screen - very difficult to shower without flooding the room. Decided not to ask for another move and spent 3 very uncomfortable nights in another rock hard bed. No street noise but voices and plumbing noises very clear through the walls from adjoining rooms. Very inadequate breakfast served in an alcove which seated maximum of 6 people at a time. The staff were helpful when asked. The location was good but after walking many kilometres sightseeing, the most important thing is a good shower and comfortable bed and this hotel just didn't measure up - did not deserve 3 star rating and I would not recommend it or stay there again

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 30, 2005

My wife and I used this hotel for a recent long weekend in Rome.

We booked it on the recommendation of Tripadvisor and were disappointed. Whilst the location is excellent, the hotel facilities are poor.

When we booked (ages ago!) We asked for a room with a balcony and instead we had a very small room that was in need of some maintenance. It was also extremely noisy if we had the window open and uncomfortably warm if we didn't.

Breakfast was OK but nothing special and served in a very cramped area of hallway.

The cost was €200 per night which I consider was excessive for what we got, I was expecting something much better. I would not use this hotel again.

1  Thank IandKV
Reviewed September 14, 2005

My wife and I spent eight nights in this hotel at the end of August/beginning of September. I wasn't expecting perfection, in fact if anything a few flaws, given the relative cheap price for our stay. However I have to say that I can't imagine a friendlier, cleaner, charming and romantic little Roman hotel.
On arriving the receptionist, Davide, took our bags up the quaint caged elevator to our room. Our room, 'Giotto', had a corner balcony overlooking the monestary next door. The room was small but comfortable, the decor charming and authentic. The room was spotless and was kept so throughout our stay by the maid who cleaned it every morning.
We found the staff friendly and helpful and always ready to give us advice or assistance with local information.
As for the location - a two minute walk to the Spanish Steps, less than five to the Trevi Fountain.
We fully intend to return to Rome and will definetly be booking our stay at the Hotel Piccolo.
We were on our honeymoon and after a couple of days my new wife told me that she thought the room was "perfect". I couldn't have asked for more, really.

5  Thank nostril
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I arrived to the hotel on the evening of Saturday, September 4, 2005, and their was no room available despite the reservation had been confirmed and paid in advance 40 days before.

The hotel receptionist offered to move us to a hotel 20 metres down the road, which I found to be a Bed & Breakfast of far inferior quality. I asked for at least a same category of hotel in the area and they sent us to the Hotel Forte, where after checking in they gave us the key for an appartment five blocks away, where we had to go walking carrying the lugagge ourselves, through Rome at night after a whole day of travel. When we got there the building had no elevator and the appt. was in the third floor. Nobody was there to help with the lugagge.

I called the hotel clerk and demanded a refund or a strong discount and he offered me to pay only 50 euros back from HIS OWN POCKET, so that the issue was hidden under the carpet, of course. I refused to accept this, and looked for another hotel nearby.

This was a complete lack of respect and I'm going to request a total refund, otherwise I will initiate legal actions.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank Benoit
A TripAdvisor Member
Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2005

I chose this hotel based on comments about to Il Piccolo on Trip Advisor. My Girlfirend and I stayed for two weeks and we were certainly not dissapointed. In the two weeks, we could not find one single complaint. The Rooms were spotless, The breakfast was good, The location was absolutely excellent - only 2 minutes walk from the Spanish Steps and finally the staff are extremely friendly and go out of their way to help guests.

Example;

One day during our stay, I asked a male staff member at reception about how I would get to Sperlonga on a day trip. He offered to research the internet on my behalf to find out but I told him not to bother as I did not want to put him to such trouble. He rang my half an hour later and told me exactly how to get there. He had gone to the trouble to surfing the net to find out the necessary information on my behalf. I was most impressed with this level of customer service and my girlfriend and I headed off and enjoyed a great day in Spearlonga.

Anyway I could not reccomend this hotel any more. 5 out of 5.

G Hurley

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Great hotel,location exellent 5 minutes to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.We stayed in the Michelangelo room which has it's own terrace.It was nice to sit out on and have breakfast,and lovely on an evening with a bottle of vino.The room was basic,but very clean.The staff were friendly and helpful.The only fault was the jacuzzi in the bathroom did not work.We did report this but nothing was done.Would definately reccomend this hotel.We had a fantastic time in Rome!

3  Thank The_Review_Queen