“When in Rome...”

Grand Hotel de la Minerve
Ranked #183 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had great pleasure and a memorable experience staying here. First off, location is amazing. Walked out the front door every day, took a different path out of the Piazza and just enjoyed all the different nooks and crannies not mentioned or overlooked in any guide book. Staff were always helpful and pleasant, suggested we buy tickets to St. Peter’s once we got there through a broker. Worked marvelously! We got in within 20 minutes and avoided the long arduous line (about 3 hrs at the least). Our room was very spacious, immaculate and comfortable with a 20 ft high ceiling. The room faced a courtyard and in the distance, we could see cupulas and other iconic landmarks. The rooftop bar is a must; you can’t stay here and not go there at least once for a drink. Our only disappointment was the very expensive breakfast. It’s nothing out of the ordinary for the price. As they say, When in Rome, head out for a cappuccino and pastry, call it a Roman breakfast.

Room Tip: A room that face the Hotel's courtyard in the back, Think ours was 504 or 503, traveled in May c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pepecrusader70
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed in this hotel five years ago and returned again because of the location. Everything is walkable and there is absolutely no need to take public transportation. This hotel is a former palace and you can see traces of it's former life in the lobby and staircases. The public areas of the hotel are beautiful.

I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. Another family we were traveling with requested a new room after already checking in and they were happy to accommodate and move them. The staff were also very patient and helpful with maps and directions. They allowed me to use their computer to print boarding passes and tour tickets too.

The rooms are a bit dated but not bad. I liked the fact that our room had wood like floors, which in my opinion, seems cleaner than carpeting. Another nice feature was that the bathroom had a window that opened. I love the extra daylight we gained. The beds were comfortable.

The breakfast buffet was overpriced so we ate elsewhere. We thoroughly enjoyed the rooftop bar and it's gorgeous skyline at night.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for 3 night is July. The rooms are very spacious and the beds were comfortable. I also thought the breakfast was very good. When I asked them to make a reservation at a local restaurant (I had the name I had found on trip advisor), they tried to do this for me but the restaurant was closed. They offered to book in another restaurant close to the hotel. I found the food very average. I would recommend picking restaurants based on Trip Advisor reviews as opposed to following the hotel recommendations. Other than this, I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is in a great, central location, within walking distance to just about everything.
The rooms are large.
The staff was not helpful. They were whiney and defensive. When I asked concierge to call a restaurant he said, "no, they are closed." Not even, "may I suggest someplace else, would you like me to call anyway?".
When I asked to change dollars for euros, the girl behind desk rolled her eyes! She said, "it's sunday the banks are closed." What? I was asking for $100, not a lot.
We wanted to sit at their rooftop bar with a cup of coffee. The woman said, "no, sorry, closed". The men at the restaurant also upstairs told us of course we could sit and have coffee. the woman started whining something to the men. We left, as we were afraid she would actually spit in the coffee!
We were out of hotel from 8:30 in the morning until 4:00 in the afternoon and the room was never made up.
The breakfast was nice in that they had a lot of gluten free products, but the floor was so sticky, I was nervous about eating anything in the place.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel could not be bettered in its location. You literally fall out of the door on to all the best historic sites within minutes. That is obviously what you pay for. The hotel itself is certainly not five star as I know it and if it was situated elsewhere I am certain it could not command such high prices.
I could not fault the staff who were helpful and friendly. The room was small and especially the bathroom which was so small that two of us could not really be comfortably in the room together. The furnishings were tired and a bit of a mish mash. I wasn't sure what style the hotel was trying to achieve as there were pieces of furniture from different periods and styles in the room. The grout in the bathroom was mouldy in some places and the fittings obviously quite old.
The roof terrace was a lovely addition and the weather made it a pleasure to sit out but more could have been made of it.
Breakfast was adequate but it was obvious that if you didn't get down for breakfast early enough you only got what was left. One morning we went for breakfast at about 9.10am and breakfast was to finish at 10.30am but it was very busy and most of the plates with cheese etc were empty. These were not replenished.
I accept that the building itself is a beautiful old 17th century building and that there will be limitations on what can be done and what is allowed but my view of 5 star luxury is certainly very different from what this hotel offered. I would say that if location is important then this hotel cannot be beaten but the flip side is that do not expect luxury-a comfortable hotel but no pampering!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel was almost perfect for our stay in Rome. Nice rooms of above average size. Excellent, absolutely ideal location. Very helpful staff. The hotel also made no-hassle arrangements for the parking of our car. We had adjoining (but not interconnecting) rooms for our kids which worked out fine. So, why four stars? The breakfast was absolutely terrible. Eggs were terrible. There was no coffee for 10-15 minutes. When we did get coffee it was served with milk that had curds in it. It was really horrible and we were very thankful to not get sick. I would definitely stay here again, but I wouldn't eat here.

2  Thank DMHfromLA
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend in July, the hotel is very central in the historic part of the city, everything is walkable distance and it's on a lovely square. By far the best part of the hotel is the rooftop bar and restaurant - it's fantastic! We stayed in a standard room which was very nice and practical. Overall great stay although not cheap!

• Stayed: July 2014