“Spectacular Stay at the Beehive”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,133 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed December 25, 2006

I stayed at the Beehive for 12 days in December - the last stop of a three month adventure in Italy. I stayed in the dorm room and if you are on a budget, this is the place for you!

The dorm room: The bed was actually very comfortable and the all have reading lamps. The atmosphere of the entire place is friendly and welcoming and they attract great clientele. I stayed all 12 days in the 8 bed mixed dorm room and met a lot of people passing through and everyone was considerate (no turning the lights on and off at night and if people were late they were very quiet coming in). It did get a little stuffy at night but once we figured out how to turn on the ceiling fan, it was fine.

The bathrooms: All of the shared showers have dispensers with shampoo and shower gel for you (in addition to the handmade soaps you are given on your pillow). The bathrooms are super clean and if you can get the hang of Italian showers, the temperature and water pressure are great.

The staff: The staff at the Beehive are some of the most friendly, helpful people I've met in customer service. They all speak fluent English and know the area well. They are the reason that I had such a great time. If I needed anything or had a question they were able to help right away and never got impatient or annoyed with me.

The cafe: The cafe downstairs is a great meeting place to hang out with the other guests. The food is very tasty - I ate dinner and had breakfast quite a few times there. Both chefs make the food from scratch, like if you wanted pesto on your pasta, they made it fresh right in front of you! The dinner menu included pasta, salads, soups, bruschetta and other Italian treats. They also offered happy hour at 6:30pm where you got 2 drinks (wine, coffee etc) and a snack for only 4 euros.

The amenities: How nice is it to have FREE internet. Internet cafes in Italy are pretty sketchy so to be able to check your e mail in the comfort of the Beehive is a major plus. The also have a courtesy phone where you can call within Italy for FREE and you can also buy international phone cards at the front desk to call home. There is a nice lounge where you can read books or magazines (mostly English publications), sign the guest book or just hang out. The walls are decorated with personal pictures from the owners' collections so it feels very warm and homey.

I made the reservation at the Beehive after reading the reviews here and was a little bit apprehensive because I wasn't sure if it was too good to be true. Not only did the Beehive meet all the wonderful things said here, but they exceeded my expectations in every way! You arrive as a guest but I think you leave feeling like a friend.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank karebear1981
There are newer reviews for The Beehive

Reviewed November 19, 2006

The Beehive was recommended to us by my Father-in-law. I liked many things about the Beehive, it was clean, well decorated, great healthy food, they recycle and free internet.

The two issues that I had were, 1) the water pressure was not good, the water was either too hot or too cold. 2) the private room that we were staying in was right next to reception. This meant that everytime someone rang the doorbell to get in, we woke up. There are two rooms, one of each side of reception. One is the dorm room and the other is room #6.

I am sure that you can request a room away from the reception desk when you book.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bellah15
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Beehive is almost perfect in everything. The only complaint is that water pressure is extremely poor and the water temperature is either too cold or too hot. If they can fix this problem, it will score 100% for sure.

• Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank Monkeyboy
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We found this place through a friend's recommendation and found it to be a clean, safe haven from the hectic streets of Rome. I really liked the promotion of healthy eating and recycling too. We stayed 1 night in a dorm and 2 nights in a private room and found both were brilliant. The other residents were so quiet I was surprised to wake up to empty beds around me!
The resident cat called Ingar is very friendly - and as a consequence probably fat!
This place is a no-brainer, choose it !!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stef29
Reviewed September 14, 2006

Stayed in one of the apartments. The apartment was nice but no toilet paper, the internet access didn't work and it was in a very bad area!!! The apartments are on the other side of the tracks from the hostel so to get toilet paper or anythign else you have to walk many blocks to the hostel. To register, you leave the terminal, go to the hostel, pay, go back through the terminal and fiund the apartments. Okay, not so bad if you have a couple of hours to waste after a long trip to get there and want to rest..... But the kicker is that when we went to sleep we were eaten alive by bed bugs!!! Let me tell you, it's not like a little bite, they suck your blood and we were itching for a week! Nice. Really enjoyable. I contacted the owenr of the hostel and he said they have had trouble in the past with bedbugs but they had taken care of it and we must have been mistaken. Yeah, I'm mistaken about having bug bites all over me. I cancelled the rest of our stay and had to fight for our money back because they refused to take our cancellation because of lack of notification over 24 hours. Sorry, I wasn't notified that I would be the meal for their bugs. I finally got my money back because I used my credit card and I requested a chargeback. Yeah, they fought and kicked and complained to my bank but in the end they lost. Stay away!

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank Eatthepizza
LindaatTheBeehive, Owner at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2006

Regrettably, this is the first we have heard mention of the problems this person allegedly had with one of our apartments, and since we find many of the claims to be inconsistent with our records, we would like to address them point by point.

1. The procedures for checking in to the apartments as well as their location are made very clear on our website, through initial correspondence, as well as in our confirmation letters. Our reception is 5 minutes walk from the central train station and the apartment farthest from us is a 15 minute walk. Therefore, the entire process does not take several hours. If the guest was not aware of this it was not due to a lack of information provided by us.

2. The apartments, while not staffed by reception, does have a cleaner who comes daily to restock the essentials (toilet paper included) as well as to clean and tidy the apartment. There is also a phone in the apartment where it is free to call our main reception for information or if there are any problems (with a sign near the phone indicating this). So had this been an issue, it would have been unnecessary to walk back to our hotel.

3. Internet access sometimes does go down. When this happens and if we are informed, we notify our computer technician who comes within the day to repair any problems. In the meantime, we let the guest know that they are welcome to come by the main facility to use the internet. Internet access is free both at the apartments and at the main facility.

4. Bedbugs are not the result of a lack of cleanliness, but come on the luggage of travelers whom are traveling from place to place and are the bane of any hotel owner's existence. Once in April 2005 we did have a problem with bedbugs in one of the rooms of our apartments, and we took quick and efficient means of eradicating the problem as well as moving the guests to a different location and washing their things at our expense. Our cleaning staff is always on guard for evidence in case a guest has been exposed to them elsewhere. We are confident that there have been no reoccurrences since that time.

5. My husband and I were in the U.S. the entire month of August. While we were contacted by staff for other issues, we were not contacted about bedbugs, neither by our staff nor by the guests themselves. All of our reception staff are women, so the claim that these guests spoke to a male who they thought was the owner is not possible.

6. We have no credit card disputes from the month of August when these guests said they stayed with us. Moreover, we only accept credit card payments for stays at the main Beehive and not in our apartments, which is also clear in our confirmation letters. The only way a credit card is charged for apartment stays are for a late cancellation, a late check-out, or a no show of a reservation. In addition to not having any disputes, we also have no record of a late cancellation charge, nor could they have paid for their stay with a credit card in the first place.

Whatever the situation and if indeed any of these events ever took place, we regret this person had an unsatisfactory experience and if we had been made aware of any problems would have been more than eager to have resolved them.

Sincerely, Linda Martinez-Brenner & Steve Brenner, owners of The Beehive

Reviewed July 25, 2006

We stayed at The Beehive at the end of June, 2006. Upon arriving in Rome and walking through The Beehvie's sketchy neighborhood, we were not expecting much (and were actually considering changing our reservation) but thankfully, the hotel/hostel is everything described on TripAdvisor and The Beehive's website, and MORE. The thick garden wall and security door provide safety in a truly questionable neighborhood, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the whole feel of the place is trendy and fun! We stayed in the dorm room, which I was hesitant about at first, but everyone was polite and quiet, and it ended up being a great way to save money. The highlight of The Beehive was certainly Francesca's cafe' downstairs. The food was tasty and healthy, and Francesca facilitated helpful and informative conversation among the guests. We made some new friends and got lots of travel tips. Don't miss her cafe', even if you don't stay at The Beehive. Yum! Our only concern was the lack of air conditioning. It's HOT in Rome, and this did make things a little unbearable at times, BUT, don't miss The Beehive for this one little hang up. Check it out- you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
16  Thank alison417
Reviewed June 22, 2006

I really enjoyed my stay at the Beehive. It was so clean and relaxing--quite an oasis in the chaos of Rome. The cat, Ingmar, was a great homey touch. In fact, the details like hand made soaps, English magazines, and the atmosphere were fantastic. Usually I'm kind of nervous about not having a shower in the room, but no problems here. There were plenty of pristine bathrooms.
The kitchen downstairs is great--all vegetarian food. The Beehive is very environmentally friendly (without making guests feel deprived). The staff is absolutely wonderful. We were helped tremendously with some train arrangements by Steve (the owner), and talked with Francesca in the kitchen while our pasta was cooking about Italian culture.
This is probably my favorite hotel ever (and I've stayed in bunches)--return visits are a must!

• Stayed: June 2006