“Couldn't have been better :)”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #4 of 1,100 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have been better :)”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My young son and I stayed at The Beehive for 5 nights at the end of October. I was a little worried as it was our first holiday as just the two of us, however we very quickly felt quite at home. All the staff were helpful and friendly. Our room was bright and welcoming. We were in a twin bedroom, with shared bathroom. We never had to wait to use a bathroom, and they were always clean.
The area around Termini was fine, despite previously reading otherwise... and was very handy for all types of transport around the city.

There were plenty of restaurants around the area, and also an amazing ice-cream shop (recommended at The Beehive) around a 10 minute walk away :)

We had breakfast most days at the cafe downstairs, which was very handy, and also sat in the courtyard garden outside.

we had an amazing holiday in Rome, and couldn't have made a better choice than staying at Th e Beehive. Looking forward to going back already!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anna s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed both in The Sweets and Clover Guesthouse for my arrival and departure from Rome. The Beehive is a quick, easy 2 minute walk from Termini. Once inside, the controlled chaos of Termini vanishes. Something more than a hostel, not quite a hotel, run efficiently by Americans and Brits with a penchant for organic wellness, but not at all hippy. I can't vouch for the dorms, but my rooms were quiet, clean, comfortable. Clover single bed was a little minimal but did the trick. The Sweets single was perfect, and included maid service.

Staying so close to Termini was incredibly convenient, cutting the hassle of getting to the trains and airport shuttles, plus there's stuff open all the time.

Never made it to the cafe which features organic vegetarian breakfast and occasional dinner. No hot cooking facilities in the Sweets, but yes in Clover.

Great value for convenience, peace of mind, and helpful localized English speakers happy to help you get the most from Rome. Rome can be a bit disorienting and crassly panders to tourists. Beehive rescued me from all that mess.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed at the Beehive for 3 nights in October. This is a quality budget hotel very near to termini station which is really handy for transfers to the airport/trains. The termini area gets a bad press but we had no problems whatsoever nor saw any. Rooms were clean and tidy and the staff were really helpful. Only drawback is that it is just a little bit of a walk from main sights but its easy to get to them on the tube and bus well worth getting the Roma pass if sightseeing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank John M
Hiram, Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Wonderful location, close to the train station and lots of little cafes and restaurants nearby. The rooms were very clean and decorated bright and cheerful. We stayed in a triple and it was comfortable for three people. Unlike other hostels I've stayed in, the beds were really comfortable! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Loved having the restaurant available for breakfast and coffee. Some people are hesitant about shared bathrooms, but we never had to wait to shower or use the toilet. There are three (or four?) bathrooms available. I would highly recommend staying here and I'll definitely stay here again if I go back to Rome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wheretonextplease
Lathrup Village, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We (a couple, 66 and 76) stayed two nights and were surprised how many seniors there were. In fact most of the people we met at breakfast were over 55. I was assured that this is normally not the case and also that the other location has mostly younger folks. The showers down the hall may take a little getting used to if you've always had ensuite, especially the really tiny shower, but they are extremely clean with abundant hot water and very handy with the built-in quality shampoo and bath gel. Our room was really spacious and the beds were quite comfortable. It had a nice sink in the room, a big window and a ceiling fan. Quite pleasant. The downstairs cafe was quite good, and the reception people were always friendly and eager to be helpful. The location is great, so close to the trains and with easy access to all the sites. The Beehive is a pleasant place to stay and a great bargain.

One rather outstanding example of the great people who work at The Beehive--I wish I could remember his name, but the morning we left I could not find my belt anywhere. Finally, I decided I must have packed it so we set off for the train station. While we were buying our tickets, one of the staff came running after us out of breath. They had found my belt in the room and he had run all the way to the train station to give it to me!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JSP2000
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The people were friendly, relaxed and intuitive. They had great suggestions and recommendations. Use their pdf visitors guide. We had a twin room with share bathroom - there was always a bathroom free when we wanted it and always clean. The room was beautiful and especially liked the 50s travel print and window onto the side garden. It was quiet and so well located. Good beds. The area around the Beehive, Termini, was great to explore - good food (of course!), great trees, streets, churches and squares. The Beehive recommends Meid in Nepols - Via Varese, 54, just around the corner (you walk past a good laundry on the way, 7 euro for a bag of washing, they do it for you). Meid in Nepols served amazing stuffed zucchini flowers in October, and everything else was great too - we're vegetarian and lots of choices. Would also recommend riding bikes around Villa Borghese, and The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, or National Gallery of Modern Art, also in Borghese park (not listed in the Beehive's pdf, I don't think?) It's a stunning gallery. The Duchamp show, on til February 2014 is small but worthwhile for admirers. Arriving in Rome by train can be confusing for first timers, as the station is so large and seems to have so many exits and the streets surrounding it seem to have no signs, but stay calm and persistent - you are only a few blocks away and will find your way soon!

Room Tip: Whatever room you can get