“The Sanctuary That Made Our Rome and Europe Trip Much Easier”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #4 of 1,100 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Portland, Oregon
“The Sanctuary That Made Our Rome and Europe Trip Much Easier”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am a travel writer and made my first trip to Rome to meet my college-age daughter who had been traveling in Turkey. Rome is known to be intimidating and right from the start I read all the great reviews about the Beehive and how Steve and Linda of course speak perfect English and so we chose that as our place to meet and connect. Because they were booked the nights we wanted we never stayed there, but Steve and I became such instant on-line friends that he and his also-nice receptionists let us use the Beehive for much of our logistics. When it was hot and chaotic in Rome the Beehive was by far the nicest sanctuary we found during the week we were there. We met many of the guests and found the most interesting travelers we met in Rome were staying there. Then when our situation suddenly changed in Florence Steve again went out of his way to immediately find us the perfect place in Florence through their cross-pollination service. I spent an hour reading all the glowing reviews in their guestbooks, and together with their 347 excellents here (now 348), they've had the most glowing reviews of anyplace we've found in Rome or elsewhere. All in all there is no place in Rome and no innkeepers I've found who I would recommend more highly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a delightful stay in one of the Beehives' rooms in their complex just a block or so from the Termini. Although I booked late and was solo, I had their last and smallest room, it was wonderful! The room as well as the bathrooms were clean and neat. The bed and mattress were fine. I also enjoyed a couple of delicious meals in their restaurant at their main location just a short walk away. I can't say enough about the very helpful staff member who spent a great deal of time with me getting my new phone fully operational. Thanks! All in all, what great location for exploring Rome. I can't wait to return and have recommended several friends stay their also.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank William R
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was unable to stay at the property as it was booked for the dates I was going to be in Rome. However knowing I wasn't going to be able to stay there, they still sent me their guides to Rome and the link to their informational videos. Additionally they provided me with great recommendations on other parts of Italy that made our stay in those places all the better. I hope to be able to stay at the Beehive on our next trip but wanted to say thanks for helping to make our trip to Italy so wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi S
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first solo trip and first time in Rome. I discovered The Beehive through Rick Steve's website and I'm so glad I did. It was perfect and far better than I expected. First off, the location is ideal for exploring Rome. Just a few blocks from Termini, Metro, and buses. The hotel/hostel is located in the midst of restaurants and quick walk to grocery store. As a woman traveling through Italy solo, I couldn't have felt more secure. The "Sweets" were lovely, my room was spotless and nicely decorated. The air conditioning worked great! The cafe was excellent, breakfast was delicious. I can not say enough about Aimee's cooking or the incredible Sri Lankan food in my first night. I met amazing people from around the world, many who are regulars every year. Thank you Beehive for making my first experience in Italy so wonderful. I'm already making plans to return! Angelica

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank zwppart2
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Beehive was my first hostel experience in Europe & has really sent the benchmark already. Single beds, great organic/vegeterian/vegan food, clean rooms and bathrooms which have soap and shampoo & friendly staff. Huge credit to the staff member originally from Indonesia (I'm super sorry just had a mental blank of her name) was SUPER helpful; offering to call around to other hostels in the area when they were booked out to reserve a dorm for me & accompanying me to the museum down the road.

Will definitely be back when in Rome next (I've thrown coins into the Trevi fountain so it's happening!

Room Tip: I was incredibly fortunate to get a dorm without bunkbeds. From the photos it looks like there are b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My sister and I stayed here twice, at the start and the end of our trip in Italy. The location near Roma Termini is very convenient. One suggestion:- on our last evening in Rome before flying home, we decided just to self-cater and have a meal in the courtyard at Beehive. We bought some food and wine and then went to ask Beehive staff for the loan of glasses and cutlery. When we went to the cafe to get these items, the lady pointed out that there was a special Sri Lankan dinner prepared. Had we known, we would have had this dinner instead of self-catering. There were no signs anywhere to indicate that dinner was on that evening. The staff did not mention it. It was not on one of the nights when dinner was on, according to the information provided in the room. It would have been useful to have known about this dinner. As it turned out, we shared a plate in the cafe after we had our small meal in the courtyard garden. There just needed to be some information provided. But apart from this, the Beehive is pretty good. As with many hostels/hotels, there is too much wardrobe & drawer space. Hooks and shelving would be better. Wifi available in the room. The soap is nice!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cleobolus
Agadir, Taroudannt, Morocco
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I really lucked out when, last minute, I stumbled upon your website while searching for a hostel two days before I needed it. Beautiful, pristine, homey, one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at in any country. If I'm lucky enough to visit Rome again, they will definitely have my returned business.

The Beehive is a lovely property, extremely clean, and spacious and homey. Easy access to Termini station, secure entry, a cafe/restaurant on the facility for those days when you just don't want to go out, private sitting areas outside that's full of beautiful greenery, free wifi and a computer for those who travel without one. I came alone, but this would be a place I would come with my family (including young children), a significant other, or friends.

What a beautiful place!