“Excellent customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 1,067 Specialty Lodging in Rome
San Diego, California
“Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was unable to stay at the property as it was booked for the dates I was going to be in Rome. However knowing I wasn't going to be able to stay there, they still sent me their guides to Rome and the link to their informational videos. Additionally they provided me with great recommendations on other parts of Italy that made our stay in those places all the better. I hope to be able to stay at the Beehive on our next trip but wanted to say thanks for helping to make our trip to Italy so wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first solo trip and first time in Rome. I discovered The Beehive through Rick Steve's website and I'm so glad I did. It was perfect and far better than I expected. First off, the location is ideal for exploring Rome. Just a few blocks from Termini, Metro, and buses. The hotel/hostel is located in the midst of restaurants and quick walk to grocery store. As a woman traveling through Italy solo, I couldn't have felt more secure. The "Sweets" were lovely, my room was spotless and nicely decorated. The air conditioning worked great! The cafe was excellent, breakfast was delicious. I can not say enough about Aimee's cooking or the incredible Sri Lankan food in my first night. I met amazing people from around the world, many who are regulars every year. Thank you Beehive for making my first experience in Italy so wonderful. I'm already making plans to return! Angelica

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank zwppart2
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Beehive was my first hostel experience in Europe & has really sent the benchmark already. Single beds, great organic/vegeterian/vegan food, clean rooms and bathrooms which have soap and shampoo & friendly staff. Huge credit to the staff member originally from Indonesia (I'm super sorry just had a mental blank of her name) was SUPER helpful; offering to call around to other hostels in the area when they were booked out to reserve a dorm for me & accompanying me to the museum down the road.

Will definitely be back when in Rome next (I've thrown coins into the Trevi fountain so it's happening!

Room Tip: I was incredibly fortunate to get a dorm without bunkbeds. From the photos it looks like there are b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My sister and I stayed here twice, at the start and the end of our trip in Italy. The location near Roma Termini is very convenient. One suggestion:- on our last evening in Rome before flying home, we decided just to self-cater and have a meal in the courtyard at Beehive. We bought some food and wine and then went to ask Beehive staff for the loan of glasses and cutlery. When we went to the cafe to get these items, the lady pointed out that there was a special Sri Lankan dinner prepared. Had we known, we would have had this dinner instead of self-catering. There were no signs anywhere to indicate that dinner was on that evening. The staff did not mention it. It was not on one of the nights when dinner was on, according to the information provided in the room. It would have been useful to have known about this dinner. As it turned out, we shared a plate in the cafe after we had our small meal in the courtyard garden. There just needed to be some information provided. But apart from this, the Beehive is pretty good. As with many hostels/hotels, there is too much wardrobe & drawer space. Hooks and shelving would be better. Wifi available in the room. The soap is nice!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cleobolus
Agadir, Taroudannt, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I really lucked out when, last minute, I stumbled upon your website while searching for a hostel two days before I needed it. Beautiful, pristine, homey, one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at in any country. If I'm lucky enough to visit Rome again, they will definitely have my returned business.

The Beehive is a lovely property, extremely clean, and spacious and homey. Easy access to Termini station, secure entry, a cafe/restaurant on the facility for those days when you just don't want to go out, private sitting areas outside that's full of beautiful greenery, free wifi and a computer for those who travel without one. I came alone, but this would be a place I would come with my family (including young children), a significant other, or friends.

What a beautiful place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jessica F
Hot Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been staying at the Beehive for more than10-15 years and I have never had a real problem. My visit this year was just as great. I had lost my alarm clock in Naples and really needed one. Steve went out and found me an alarm clock to use. He didn't promise to wake me up but he did anyway. The food has always been great. If I have a complaint, it would be that I cannot stay as long as I want. PS: We still miss the cat Ingemar! May he play forever in cat heaven! Chas. and Hilary

Room Tip: Call as soon as you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Thanks to Rick Steve's amazing travel books I heard about this hotel/hostel through his Rome edition. Because I was booking my room while I was still in America, I was a little nervous that there would be a communication error, but that did not happen! The owners are a nice American couple who nicely suggested the best type of room for me to stay in with my boyfriend and I. They have hostel rooms, hotel rooms, suites and a guest type room that shares a kitchen and 2 bathrooms with a couple other guest rooms. We stayed in that one and was sooo pleased! Unbeknownst to us, our room had a balcony! Because the guest rooms are just a block or two away from the actual Beehive, we were given a map and directions to find it. It was like our own little treasure map! For the two nights we stayed there, we ate out once and made dinner in the charming kitchen that was provided. It was a fantastic stay and I don't really have any bad things to say about it. Love the Beehive in Rome!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple