“Brilliant”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,166 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Easy 5 min walk from Termini station.

Clean, modern, large, stylishly-decorated room with equally clean and modern shared bathroom.

Friendly staff, free internet, games/reading room and cheap and delicious home-style vegetarian cafe in the basement.

Different in the best way possible. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neverkissacactus

Reviewed March 15, 2008

I stayed with my mom in the "dorm-style" room for 25 Euro per person per night. The staff were wonderful, the hostel was clean. The food from the café was yummy. We were just looking for a place to sleep while in Rome, knowing that we would be spending most of our time in the city. This is one of the cheapest places to stay but it felt like we should have been paying a lot more. The free internet was a huge plus as well. I would come back even if I had the money to spend on a nicer hotel. The location was wonderful as well. We felt completely safe walking to/from the hostel and where we were eating, sometimes coming back late at night. I definately would recommend!

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank me1383
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I traveled alone with my 11 year old daughter from the United States. We stayed at the Beehive for 8 nights and found our stay to be outstanding. The hotel was extremely cozy, warm, and homey. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way. We met wonderful people from all over the world which added to our experience. My daughter made a new friend at the hotel, the same age, and they are still emailing each other after the stay!

We ate at the cafe every night - the food was very good, and again, the warm homey atmosphere was so important when traveling alone with a child. My daughter made friends with the chefs and loved watching them prepare all of her favorite meals!

I would highly recommend the Beehive to anyone traveling to Rome. It is located only a few blocks from the train/bus/metro station, so it makes getting around very easy.

Rave reviews on my part, Linda and Steve have created a wonderful atmosphere at their hotel! Many of the guests I met said the Beehive was the nicest place they had stayed! Some of these people had been traveling throughout Europe for months.

My hat goes off to the Beehive!

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank oreo1
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We had a wonderful experience at the Beehive. The food at the cafe was so good we ate there every single night. The common areas were comfortable, clean and very relaxing. We came home each evening after an exhausting day of site-seeing to drink wine and read in the lounge before dinner. There were always interesting people to chat with, good books in the lending library, free internet to use and the staff was friendly and helpful. I wish we could have stayed forever.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisntyler
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Great little place recommended by Rick Steves. Small, clean, friendly...great little cafe downstairs! Nothing fancy, just what you need to have a great time in Rome. Large, airy rooms, shared bath/shower, free internet in lobby. Don't be put off by the neighborhood...we never felt we were unsafe! Train station is just three blocks away...an easy 5 minute walk. Well recommended!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My stay at the Beehive was fantastic. The staff were friendly and very knowledgeable about Rome and surrounding towns, and the hostel itself was very clean. Plus, for a hostel, there were ample (and clean) washrooms and showers for everybody. Even though Termini can be a grungy place when it's dark, the Beehive was a very safe place. Nice common room, the staff enforce no-smoking rules, free internet, plus a book exchange -- granted the Beehive isn't for party animals, but it was one of the nicest hostels I've stayed at in 30+ countries.

The organic cafe downstairs had excellent meals for reasonable prices. Plus, Ingmar the resident cat was a lovely host. Will definitely be staying here during my next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank 063011h
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My daughter is studying in Florence this term so we went over a week early and stayed at the Beehive during our stay in Roma. The school recommended this place and they were right. The US dollar exchange is very poor at this time and you know it when you get here. The Beehive is run by an American couple and they have done a great job. There are 6 rooms in the "hotel" and they are all on the first floor. One of the rooms is a dorm room. I didn't see any of the apartments. They are elsewhere. One thing to remember in Italy, there are tile floors everywhere so it is noisy at night and in the morning but our approach was to GET USED TO IT! The rooms, hallways and bathrooms were immaculate. All rooms have a sink. There are shared bathrooms and showers. I never had to wait and everyone cleaned up after themselves. Downstairs, there is a lounge area with a computer. The place is also WIFI. There is also a small eating area where they prepare vegetarian meals only but not a problem. I like oatmeal in the morning! They also serve snacks the beverages in the evening for a charge. It's not expensive.

I read the other reviews. For those who complain, remember, you're not at home. As you spend time in Italy, you will see that they do not waste space at all... even in more expensive places. I grew to respect that while I was here.

• Stayed: January 2008