“Great Job Beehive”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,166 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed October 4, 2007

The Beehive is everything a great hostel should be...clean, friendly, helpful, conveniently located and lots of fun! From start to finish, they impressed me and my wife. Their small cafe serves delicious & modestly priced cuisine and their happy hour creates a very social atmosphere. They even helped me surprise my wife with flowers and candy in our room when we arrived! The rooms are immaculately clean and very bright and colorful. The staff is very helpful and made sure we were taken care of. The bathrooms are shared, but very clean and stocked with wonderful organic soap and shampoo. I loved everything about the Beehive and would undoubtedly recommend it to friends and family visiting Rome...just book in advance :).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2007

Great big rooms, gorgeous resident cat, tasty cafe, free internet, exceptionally clean and friendly, 3 mins walk maximum from Termini. Very safe.

Reviewed August 16, 2007

Stayed at The Beehive the last week in June. It's a hostel/hotel with both dormitory facilities and private rooms.

The location:
Located two short blocks away from the main Rome train terminal. No need to take taxi, it's a 5 minute walk, 10 second cab ride. At first I was concerned about the "seediness" of the train station area after reading reviews. However, The Beehive is located on the right side (lower track number) of the train station. The street that it's on is a parking area for local travelers, thus, filled with scooters. I arrived at midnight, and felt totally fine walking down that street. It's the other side of the train track that is quite seedy. The buses all end up at the Rome terminal, and the metro is downstairs from the station.

The decor:
small reservation desk and a small sitting area, 24 hour staffed. The place is decorated with budget but functional Ikea style lamps and furnishing. Recessed lighting throughout the reception area and hallway. The floor is tile. The place is also an art space thus the walls display the work from an artist. The place just looks clean, fresh, with minimalist decorations.
There's a small sitting/garden area at the entrance when you first come through the metal door. There are trees that provided shade at all hours. It's a nice place to sit with a glass of wine. The front desk staff is very helpful. They provide you with a list of recommended restaurants and sights to see, and a map.

The room:
Reserved a double room, which consisted of 2 twin beds pushed together. The room is a very nice size, surprised after reading about how small hotel rooms are in Europe. The room is furnished again, with budget but functional Ikea style lamps and chair. There's a washbasin, towel rack, and a toiletries shelf in the room. There's a phone in the room and local calls are free, making it convenient for you to make reservations if needed. Bathroom facilities are shared but they are the cleanest and in the best shape of all the places we stayed at in our 6-week trip throughout Europe. There are plenty to share, never had to wait. There's no AC in the rooms, but a ceiling fan that worked very well in cooling us down from a day of sightseeing. Our room faced the street/garden thus we had very little sunlight come through our room which helped in keeping the room cool. The hotel is environmentally friendly so they don't give you new towels everyday, but if you ask, I'm sure they'll give you new ones. Your bed is made everyday. The only negative is that the street, while residential, does get noisy with cars and scooter especially in the morning. The room is also fairly close to the reception area thus you can hear people coming and going. I highly recommend earplugs. They do have rooms on the other side that opens up into a courtyard of a residential complex. The noise level might be lower there, but not positive. Also, no TV, and no clock.

The cafe:
Highly highly recommend you eat there. After 2 days of eating cold sandwiches, and paying high prices for salty mediocre pastas, we ate at the hotel whenever we can. The food is freshly cooked, using fresh and organic (when they can) ingredients. I got tired of small, sweet pastries after a few days and had scrambled eggs for breakfast at the hotel. It was GOOD!! They have happy hour everyday, where you get 2 drinks and a small snack for only 4 euros, you can't get that anywhere else.

Lastly, FREE INTERNET!! Yes, they have a Mac downstairs in the dining area for you to use.

I loved this hotel, highly recommend it and would stay there again. Next time I am buying their organic hand-made soap (they give you some in your room), they smell so good.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelbug821
Reviewed July 22, 2007

On a Grand Tour of Europe with my now husband and a good friend of ours in 2001, we were treated to the Beehive experience. After our hostel in Amsterdam, I had pretty much had it with the hostel experience, little did I know that the Beehive was not your average hostel. We were lucky enough to arrive on the anniversary of their opening and were greeted with champagne. Though we stayed in the dormitory section of the hostel, the cheapest, we met some lovely people and spent our first evening in Rome wandering around with them. The clientèle is made up of young travelers who appreciate the finer things in life, and the clean and orderly Beehive offers an oasis of calm and loveliness not usually associated with hostels.

Since our last visit, I understand that they have branched out and now offer private rooms for $75 USD per night-still a steal in pricey Rome. They are within walking distance of many attractions--the Trevi Fountain among them, and the owners are lovely. I highly recommend the Beehive to any traveler who is budget savvy but appreciates quality.

• Stayed: May 2003, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My Husband and I stayed at the Acacia Shared Apartment for 3 nights during our Honeymoon touring Italy. It was not nearly enough time. We had an Apartment (At A Fabulous Price) Prime location to get to all the Major Sights, Transportation, Foods, and Pleasures that Rome has to offer. I stayed with the Beehive in 1999 the second month that it was open while backpacking Europe after my college graduation. I was thrilled when planning our honeymoon to see that not only were they still in business, but that they had expanded. I cannot wait to return and bring our friends. Once you Beehive....you can't resist another visit to Rome. The Best Service, A Clean and Safe place to stay, FREE Internet access, I could go on all day! Go and see for yourself, just remember to toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain.

Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank botanical_fan
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My husband and I only stayed one night at The Beehive, passing through Rome. We arrived from the airport late (after midnight) and the reception was waiting on us! We checked in and were set up in a lovely room in between 2 bathrooms, super convenient. The location was convenient, room was clean, the bed comfortable and the water pressure great.

This was one of the best places we stayed and would definitely stay at The Beehive again. Not only was it a wonderful place, but they provide you with a little book with recommendations of what to do, see and eat around Rome!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wife4Matt
Reviewed May 30, 2007

I have to say of all the hostels in Europe this was my fav.!!!!!!!

First great location, just a couple blocks from the train station, but it is totally safe and the hostel has great security with a big door that you have to be buzzed in.

Love the dorm nice and big, no air cond, but ceiling fan keeps everyone cool. The beds are comfy and even have your own bed light. The bathrooms are ample and always clean, I can't stress how clean this place was all the time.

Nice cafe in the the basement with lounge, games, and free internet. There is always a beautiful garden with nice shading to de-stress after a busy day of sightseeing.

The hostel gives you a great map and guide to the city full of great tips.

I really can't say enough good things!

Also I really don't like cats but Igmar who secretly runs the place stole my heart I wanted to take him back to Canada with me.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo