Alessandro Downtown Hostel
Orbitz.com
$363
$264
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstermini stationcommon roombunk bedsfree breakfastkey cardvending machineyour luggagecommon areasclean roomshot waterby footlocation is greatair conditioningvatican citylockwifidorm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Really great location right down the block from the main train station so getting around was really easy. Not in a good area for going out though. There was AC in the rooms but it would randomly turn off so the rooms got pretty hot at points during the night which was frustrating because they advertise working AC. The rooms were pretty big so it felt like you had your own space and every bed has a locker though not all the lockers can fit a whole backpack-it was sort of first come first serve for those lockers. The staff was really nice and helpfull. The bathrooms were really gross-always really dirty with water, mud and hair all over the floor. And in the shower there's no place to hang your towel or clothes where they won't get wet so you end up drying off with a wet towel and then walking around with just a towel on to get to your clothes. Wifi was available but you have to get a new log in every few hours which got old pretty fast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kyra H
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Alessandro Downtown is right next to the Termini station which makes it easy if you're arriving in the City and it's also convenient when you are wanting to use the Metro to travel around Rome quickly.

Reception staff booked me in and gave me a map. Not much advice given on Rome in general and nothing was said about the facilities. I was on the 5th floor and it was a pain to go up and down every time i entered and left the building but they have a lift which happens to be big enough to fit at least 2 people or 1 if they're carrying their suitcases/backpacks. Not good.

The beds are unsafe and flimsy. Luckily for me i was sleeping on the bottom but the top bunk beds were just unsafe. The railings weren't even nailed on! The beds felt cheap and the fact that the AC only ran on a time limit scheduled by the Hostel it made it very difficult to get a good nights sleep in the hot weather.

The bathroom had no lock and anyone could have walked in while you were doing your business (AWKWARD!!!)

As other users have pointed out the lockers are especially awkward to use. You have to push in and then turn clockwise to lock it and push in and then turn anti clock-wise to unlock it. The 'handle' then has to be pulled out for your padlock to go in. Make sure your padlock isn't big and the metal hinge is quite long otherwise you'll find that you're padlock might not fit and you'll have to leave your belongings out in the open.

Luckily on the 5th floor there was a corridor restroom with about 5 cubics of toilets and showers combined. Hot water worked fine but in some of the cubics the lights would automatically switch off and i had to stand there in the dark, washing myself. It was only until i wailed my arms like an idiot did the lights detect a presence and finally turn on.

All in all i'd recommend you find another hostel or place to stay. I really loved Rome but the hostel just wasn't up to it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

First of all I must say I was surprised by this hostel and found it a lot better than some of the other reviews make out. It's really close to Termini station - less than a 5 minute walk - and is easy to find. You have to buzz at the door to get in but most of the time you were let in straight away. The staff were really friendly and helpful and check in was quick. All the staff at the check in desk at least spoke English. I stayed there for 4 nights total and because I booked a bit late I had to change rooms a couple of times. Beds were comfortable and you couldn't hear any noise from other rooms. I stayed in a 6 bed room with ensuite first which had a good sized shower and an area to hang your clothes and get changed. It was closed off by a shower curtain so others could used the toilet or basin when you were in the shower. I was also in an 8 bed dorm with shared bathroom. The shared bathroom had adequate showers and basin/mirrors so you never had to wait and the showers were quite large. The bathrooms were kept fairly clean and the one great thing is that all bathrooms (shared and ensuite) had hairdryers - something I have never seen in a hostel before. The hostel had common rooms but they were fairly basic, just a place to eat. The only drawbacks of the hostel (although these weren't really a big issue) is there were not enough power points in the room and the lockers were a bit hard to get a lock on and off. The hostel also had free Wi-Fi and computers to use for the Internet but the internet was extremely slow and you had to ask for a new log in each time. The one thing I found odd though is there was a kitchen but like the other reviews say you can't use the stove as it's locked up and there's no cutlery to be found - this is basically just a place for them to serve the breakfast - so don't expect to be able to prepared meals here. But they did have a good size fridge to store food. Overall I was really happy with this hostel and it's a good cheap option in Rome.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Brisbanetraveller91
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Me and three friend stayed here for three nights the rooms were very spacious and the showers and toilets I found to be clean. The common rooms were a little small but lucky enough we had too much to do that we didn't need to use the common room. There was a luggage room to store luggage before check ina and after before heck out and a wash room which I have not seen in any other hostel on my travels. The breakfast for three euro was ok some toast fruit and cereal since im not much of a cereal person I prefer to get my breakfast out. The pasta night that they have on certain days of the week was amazing yummy pasta for free and you could get seconds too and it was a great way to meet other people staying in the hostel. The pub crawl organised was good but was only three pubs it was a really good night out bar the fact got lost on the way back. The staff were really helpful and it wasn't too far form main attractions like Spanish steps and collessum it was round the corner from train station and you can get the metro from train station to Vatican. If I were to go to rome again would defo stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

So this was my first time in a hostel, I must say I did not enjoy it. For starters the location is convenient to Termini for trains to Fiumicino airport and the neighbourhood good with plenty of shops/hotels. On arrival at about 22:00hrs we went to reception and checked in and were told a room number but not shown anything else with regards to facilities or services! Room that I booked was different to the one given to us and was relatively small with small bathroom that had no lock!! Beds were uncomfortable and I would question the security/safety of belongings, there is CCTV but we were told to leave our luggage, containing clothes & documentation under the bed or in the lockers with our own padlock. The lockers were flimsly and there was no way I was leaving my belongings under the bed with complete strangers to have access to! I slept one night and it was a terrible & hot nights sleep. In the end I cut my losses and checked out in the morning and booked into a B&B just down the road (Giorgio hotel) for only a little extra money and it was excellent. To sum up the rooms in the hostel need to be bigger, safer and more comfortable and staff should explain the layout and services on offer, having said that I will not be stopping in a hostel again and would reccomend anyone to pay a little extra for a B&B or hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012