“Absolutely wonderful”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Colonna
Description: Sofia is our pet dog and mascot,…. a friendly and loving Jack Russell who accompanies us in our adventures. This is why we decided to give our most precious project her name! An intimate, family-run restaurant with very few rules of thumb: a menu which respects the seasons, using the finest of Italian produce, always fresh every day; traditional Italian recipes together with other dishes specially created by our chef, and inspired by the flavours and colours of Mediterranean cuisine; our desire that your lunch or dinner take place in intimate surroundings and make you “feel at home”.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This may indeed be the most perfect place in Rome for a lovely dinner. The recommended starter was a simple pasta with simple ingredients that simply exploded with flavor. Everything fresh, delicious, prepared with care, and so good it brought tears to my eyes. Oh, to live in Rome, if only to come here again and again.

There are newer reviews for Sofia

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Sofia is really a nice surprise in the centre of Rome where it's not easy to find a place which isn't wildly expensive, cheap or touristy. We shared a starter, the millefoglie with artichokes and tomato coulisse which was very good. We then went for the "tonarelli cacio e pepe", also noteworthy. We shared a second dish - the pork fillet served with potato purée which was really large enough for two and very well cooked - and a side dish, the "cicoria ripassata in padella" , also very good.
My husband had the tiramisù for dessert, one of his favourite's, and said it was uncommonly good. We then wrapped up with some excellent espresso coffee. It's really not easy to go from starter to dessert coffee without being let down and this is exactly what happened to us and as I said before, in the centre of Rome, it's really not that easy.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Very nice visit here - owners were kind and helpful, spoke very good english, Sofia is the cutest dog in the world ! Starters were so well prepared and visually striking, food flavors are outstanding. Worth a visit !

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Based on TA reviews specifically found this little gem tucked away & was not disappointed. We were in the area and we wanted a good lunch. It has a clean unassumming front and lovely white interior, more like an up-market restaurant. Staff were very friendly, informative & spoke very good english which was really helpful as we're both not good at speaking italian. Menu is small, but food was great. Local produce & not your typical pasta & pizza choices. We had a bottle of water & bottle of the house white wine which was really good. What we appreciated the most was the waiter asking first if we wanted water/bread/foccacia on the table which are extras. The foccacia was lovely. We had that, a main each, dessert each and coffee each to end. No faults, wonderful food & service. Our meal came to about £50 which was very reasonable given the quality and payment was simple. We assummed they'd have a service charge included but were very suprised they don't automatically do this (another plus), so when we realised we went back in to add our tip. Can't recommend enough.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was my second night in Rome, the finishing touch to a long day in which I had traveled to the faraway country of, well, the Vatican, and seen the beautiful Michelangelo paintings as well as odd, nude statues. What did I need? FOOD!!! My father sceduled a reservation to Sofia and I wore a suit and italian tie (Don't worry, you don't need to dress that well, but I still felt as italian as ever). We were seated in the front, a large table where Sofia the dog would walk around (better mannered than american k9). We were served by a woman named Irena, who was one of the owners along with her husband, whose name I forgot. They had interesting things to say but I would frequently covet thy neighbor's wife (Don't worry, I'm sure whoever made the ten commandments would feel the same way). We were served roman pasta of some sort and it was SO good, but I am a slow pasta eater and when Irena saw it she gasped, "Oh, you don't like it!!!" and I felt bad. I had delicious chicken for dinner, and I brutally devoured such chicken. The creme brulee for dessert was awesome. It wasn't the BEST food I had in Italy, but when I thought of the boring 8th grade classrooms in the USA I had spent the previous year in, I realized that, despite Momaday's poetry, THIS (Sofia of Roma) is where creation has begun.

Been to Sofia? Share your experiences!