“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #198 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I did not know what to expect from this Hotel because of the good price - however Delux Room was a nice size, very clean and comfortable. Staff very friendly and hopeful. The water left in your room in not free. Breakfast very also very good (No hot food). The location was really good - try Resturant Mama Angela's on Via Palestro for fantastic food a very good price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KavLaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at Montecarlo 17 - 25 January, 2013 to celebrate my birthday (for a whole week and a day, lucky me!!!) while enjoying Rome. I am glad I had such a good idea. I like travelling on my own, especially if I have a nice place to return to every evening to feel safe and...pampered.
Location: near Termini, good connections to all the great sites in Rome. Very safe too, close to embassies.
Accommodation : lovely double room (looks even better than in the pictures shown on the website), clean, comfortable, quiet and practical: has a little fridge (I like to have some fruit or yoghurt, now and then; there are at least 2 market stores in the area, Conad and Sygma.)
Breakfast: quite basic, which is all right with me as long as I have a good espresso doppio every morning.

Service: great! The room was always clean, no one ever disturbed me when I was sleeping in or taking time to get ready for my daily tours of Rome.
I have special thanks for the reception staff: Franco, Michael and Serghei. They always listened and always responded with kindness and thoughtfulness. Among my special thanks, I'd like to emphasize my very, very special ones for Signor Franco: he really made me feel welcome not only at the hotel, but in Rome and in Italy at the same time. Mille grazie!
Breakfast service: very good.
God willing, I'll return to Hotel Montecarlo in Rome soon.

Room Tip: I had a look at another double and a single and they look just lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lisboa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

It's a really nice place to stay for a few days. The breakfast room is a bit hot, but I don't have other complains about the hotel. About the breakfast itself I found it good.
Lots of restaurantes nearby! Metro is close too.
The people from the hotel were helpfull and nice too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel is 7 minutes from Termini station.
"+"
Location
Exceptional service at recieption desk
Good wifi in room
Interior
Clean room and good bathroom

"-"
Breakfast was very simple

Anyways, the hotel was great, real value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hong kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My 5th stay in this hotel and I will definitely return again. Good location, safe area, most friendly and helpful concierges who speak fluent eng. Franco is super, always warm and friendly and diligent, makes you feel like home. We stayed in a twin room, single bed and shower booth is a bit small, but compare with the trashy 3 star toilet size room which I paid 95 pounds for near paddington station in London , this is heaven! Breakfast not bad too for this kind of price, though I wish for fresh fruit and a toaster or oven to warm the bread. Excellent coffee and hot chocolate. The only shortcoming is its understaff, the poor concierges have to take care of check in and out, help with luggages, answer questions from a hundred guests for tour information, and fly to the bar to make drinks at the same time. Often I gave up asking info at the reception counter coz the waiting was too long. I have stayed in many hotels from 3-5 stars around the world, this is the only 3 star that provides such efficient service with sincerity and smiles. Maybe their price is a bit high in high season, but price in low season is unbeatable. Wifi in all rooms and connection is fine, if not super fast. If I have to pick on them, the room floor could be less dusty if properly vacuumed everyday.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel has been recently renewed, location is good for city visit and the neighborhood is very calm and quiet.
The room was a bit small, to host a small kid bed, but not too bad.
Breakfast was average good, with both sweet (cereals, pastries, cakes, bread and jams) and salted (cheese, salame and prosciutto). Fruit available was only canned, that is a pity.
The hotel was clean and the staff was very kind.
Few negative points:
- internet connectivity was incredibly slow, almost unusable.
- jacuzzi in the room was not working, but to be honest we did not complained with the hotel, as we were not so interested
- breakfast room is a bit tiny, maybe too small compared to the size of the hotel.

Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This Hotel, sadly, did not come anywhere near our expectations.

We paid 800euros for 4 nights, for a 4 person room, which was only fit for 2 persons. there were 2 single beds squeezed into the room, very cosy, to say the least!?! The bathroom's are very, very small & the door does not open properly as the toilet blocks the way, so please be caferful if you have children, as they open door on toes, or the door can come back on them.

The room was poorly decorated, with cobwebs & signs of dampness on all corners, & on the middle of ceiling.

The breakfast was dreadful. There was nothing warm to have, even the coffee was cold. The closest we got to something warm was the cheese&coldmeat, due to being served on warm platters?!? They ran out, daily, of bread-rolls, croissants were scarce & sometimes there was only 2 brought out at a time... on a good day!?! Coffee was served on request, twice we came down to 4 empty tables, all of which, were used covers, not made up, so we sat amongst other peoples crumbs!?!

The wi-fi - you must have a password & username, which the receptionist gave to our child on arrival. We then discovered, only 1 persons can use this at a time, & that we must pay a further 15euros to reveive wi-fi for any of the rest of our family to use this??

The mineral water in mini-bar is chargeable, on top of the 200euros paid\night, so please take this into account.

We have stayed in Travel Lodges of a much higher standard. There is a Best Western Hotel 2 doors down, think next time, we would prefer to stay there...or perhaps.....A TENT!

Sorry, we can't recommend this hotel to anyone, however, Rome is a fantastic City, please just don't stop-by Hotel Montecarlo!

2 Thank john_m187791
daniac, Direttore at Montecarlo Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Mr John,
I'm really sorry you didn't appreciate your stay at Hotel Montecarlo.
Of course we could offer you a better service but let me say that your review seems to be too hard.
I don't know which room you had, but it's sure that it's a room we daily give to our guest and nobody claimed so hard for that.(Please see other revews).
Probably you went too far in your claim becouse of something you thought it was your right to have.Sometime it happens.
Wifi is free of charge but we give only one password per room just to ensure a good quality service to all the guests.In addition we have few limited extra connections to give on request with extra charge..
If we should give a password for every guest we would have 100% claims on our wifi service.
However please accept our apology but....A TENT...
I think you should have more respect for other people work.