“A Kiwi in Rome.”
Review of Hotel Pacific

Hotel Pacific
Ranked #726 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 12, 2012

For many years I have led groups to Rome and stayed at the Hotel Pacific.The staff were always welcoming, rooms comfortable, air conditioning quiet and efficient and the meals particularly on the visit last month excellent, such a variety of choices. Its location would have to be one of the best in Rome with an easy walk to St Peters, the Sistine Chapel, churches, and many tourist sites and shops.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Margaret R

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Pacific on at least 3 occasions but the last time was the best. We were a large group of 50 people of mixed ages (and expectations). We were efficiently allocated rooms, everyone was happy and the staff were very helpful.The meals were my big surprise as they were delicious, plentiful and perfect for travellers. We often miss our fresh vegetables and fruit when travelling but these were more than adequately met. I recommend this delightful hotel to any reasonable person who wants good service and proximity to some of Rome's major attractions. Staff were very accommodating and I believe I received value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marie W
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and the location is perfect for access to the Vatican and there is great shopping and wonderful markets and bars/restaurants all within walking distance. The facilities in the hotel are all I need to find, i.e. bar, restaurant etc. rooms vary in size and have all the amenities expected from a 3 star hotel. The staff are welcoming and friendly and have regularly gone the "extra mile" to accommodate my requirements. I have dined with groups and also individually and have found the food to be most enjoyable. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel for price and location and great staff! RH

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank R H
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights during May 12 in the hotel. Good location, close to metro and 20 minutes walking to St. Peter's square. Clean rooms, but the shower is too small even for a child. It could get really noisy during the night. Breakfast is not worth mentioning. But it is OK for the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not facing the road
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I really do not like the idea of writing a review but feel so strongly about this that I had to do so, I stayed for 3 nights on two occasions and had 3 rooms. Each one stunk. I have never had such poor dinner meals in my life and I had seven years in boarding school. With two exceptions the staff were offhanded and disinterested. I have never sent a meal back in my life but did so at this joint. The young trainee I think guy was great as was the boss, the girl and guy on the desk rude and the guy in the bar could not have given a hoot. I was in hospitality and suggest most of the staff did not want to be there or did not like the job. Avoid this place and stay in others of far better quality for the same price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Peter O
pacific59, Responsabile reception at Hotel Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear Sir,
I do not usually reply to reviews, however I feel in this case I have to make an exception, just to set the record straight.

First and foremost, we didn't receive the smallest complain during the four days of your stay, about anything, not by anyone of the 40 people of your party, nor by yourself.
If you were not satisfied with the rooms, I suggest you could have told us while here, giving us the chance to check the problem with you and solve it in the most satisfying way for both.

The restaurant Manager confirms that no food has been sent back to the kitchen and, again, no complain was made.

As for the staff being rude an uncooperative, sorry but I have to strongly disagree, on the contrary, we all did our best, given the situation.

We helped you plan you daily activities, put a private meeting room to your use ( for free) for your group to have Mass in quietly, away from the hotel's crowd. We tried to assist you when one of your group got lost for a couple of hours, if to no avail, because you'd rather contact your Embassy ( which confirmed what we suggested, by the way).
We tried to answer your questions and I say "tried" because you often walked away cutting us mid-sentence or hanging up the phone on our faces.

Overall, we were under the impression that this was your first time as a group leader if not even your first time travelling abroad.
This is all well and understandable, we are used to different kind of travellers and different way of travelling, we are used to panicky people, unexperienced and abusive ones even. It's part of our job to deal with this, but I feel that, for the sake of the hard work we all put into this establishment, it is just fair to show the other side of the medal.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed there for a friends wedding and just one night, so location was more important than mixed reviews on Tripadvisor - I wish we had listened to the poor reviews.
The hotel is right next to a rather noisy street and a petrol station (we had a room with a view exactly to that). If not enough the room was to put it mildly "dated", the bathroom literally dismantled itself in the process of using it (toilet came loose, shower door came off). Staff tried to be helpful if to no avail, ordering a cab an hour before the wedding which should have arrived in 5min ended up with us nearly missing the ceremony. Breakfast (included) can only be described as mediocre (even Cuban state owned hotels offer more variety, quality and choice). And all that for a not so cheap rate to start with which can not be justified by its location (the only plus).
Overall, must be the worst place we have ever stayed in (luckily not for very long).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Hotel Pacific was in a perfect area of the city for our needs. We stayed there prior to flying to Madrid for World Youth Day in August, 2011. With 80 pilgrims, the hotel staff could have understandably been less than helpful with our group. In fact,m the opposite was true. The staff was engaging with our teens and young adults and very helpful when it came to setting times for dinner, etc. Past reviews I had read of this hotel indicated a "less than clean atmosphere," however we did not experience that at all. The rooms were clean and everything worked well. Many of the rooms have large balconies as well. The WiFi in the hotel was lacking, even with the codes that we received at the front desk. Really the only place the WiFi worked was in the lobby area. The staff in the dining area (contrary to other reviews) were wonderful to us. The self-serve breakfast was always a bit of a problem because we were usually out the door by 7am and that's when breakfast began. However, the staff was willing to open early for us and worked with our schedule well.

Room Tip: Although the balconies overlook a fairly busy street, ask for one anyway. Typically Roman hotel roo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business