“Exellent hotel.”

Exe Hotel Della Torre Argentina
Ranked #331 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights in rome for my wife's birthday. Came to this hotel because of the reviews here. The hotel was better then what we expected! Not only it was realy in the center of rome, but also the hospetality was perfect. An exellent hotel for the price.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yossiwalfisch

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The rooms were good size, bathrooms were modern, very clean and there was a room temperature control. The staff was courteous as well. To top it all, the location was excellent, within walking distance of the Colloseum, the Vatican etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vishal G
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The traveller approaching Rome for the first time may get the impression that the city is expensive - and hotels likewise - my experience from Venice did not make me more of an optimist! I was therefore pleasantly surprised when I by chance found Della Torre Argentina sentrally positioned by all the 'musts' of the ancient city - and right by the place that Julius Caesar was rumoured to have been assassinated! History around every corner..

A solid building from another epoch, tastefully restored, small but very well appointed rooms - my bathroom was of a quality more associated with 4 * hotels. The staff were helpfull and stayed in the background - but had good English if that was needed - no 'matter of fact' in Rome.
The Big Plus was the breakfast 'room' - a beautifully restored cellar with everything from fresh fruit and cake (delicious lemon cake, 'taken' as lunch as well!) to the more normal European egg & bacon . A coup at under $100: Highly reccommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed over the new year period in this well located 3 star hotel which is within walking distance of all the major attractions in rome. The hotel is within a 10-20 minute walk from most of the sights including the pantheon, trevi fountain, colosseum and the Vatican.

When I arrived my room had been double booked for the first night so I was whisked away to an affiliate hotel. Not the greatest start but the staff were excellent in how they handled it and importantly had a solution ready prior to my arrival. When I did finally stay here I found the room to be small but comfortable and clean. I was staying in a room at the back of the hotel and therefore did not have any issues with outside noise. The room has a safe, free wifi, decent sized bathroom and even a trouser press (not seen one in a hotel room before). The hotel and the room is a little dated and tired but I wasn't in rome to spend too much time in the hotel. The walls are a bit thin so noise from next door can be heard but I have encountered the same issue in every hotel in Italy.

I had power problems in my room whereby the power and lighting continued to switch on and off until eventually it just shut off. Made for an annoying 24 hours whilst the problem was fixed but the staff were excellent and did what they could to help. I note the issue was specific to my room only and was fixed.

The hotel is on a major street and there is bus stops literally at the front door which made for challenging entry and exit from the building at times. I would probably request a room not facing the main street to minimise the noise from the traffic.

If it weren't for the booking and power issues I would have given this 4 stars as it was a good base for me to explore rome at an affordable price and the staff were some of the best I have dealt with. There is plenty of restaurants and cafés in the area to chose from.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We were at the hotel for 5 days at the end of december.
Very nice hotel, bus in front of the door and metro at 15 minutes walking distance.
Very well placed, proper room and good breakfast.

The worse part was our departure! Arriving to the front desk we are announced that we have to pay the breakfast.
We present our booking confirmation stating that the breakfast is included and the answer is that they already had that problem and that WE should call the site help desk to solve that problem.
We reply that is not OUR problem and so we are not supposed to take care of it.
And the amazing reply we had is "You have signed the cards at the breakfast room. You sign without asking why?"
Finally the other receptionist accepted to take care of it and we could finally finish our check out.
Really deceiving departure on a 1st of january.
Marc&Vera

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vera S
Reviewed December 23, 2013

As we got this hotel for a very cheap price (55€ for 2/night), and it is ideally located spot in the center of Rome (5 minutes walk to Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, 10 minutes to Fontana dei Trevi, Piazza del Popolo, 20 minutes to Villa Borghese or the Vatican), I really didn't expect much else.

Our stay at Hotel Della Torre Argentina, however, was a very pleasant surprise to all regards. Our room was spacious and clean, with a very high ceiling and a large bathroom. The first night we had a tad noisy room on the street, the third night a very quiet room. The staff is very friendly, talkative, cooperative, always smiling. Breakfast is optional (9€), which is a plus, as in a city like Rome it is more fun to have breakfast in a bar or café. On the one day we had breakfast in the hotel, the spread was large, diverse and delicious.

The interior of the hotel is slightly worn-out and old-fashioned (1950-60s), this in my way only adds to the charm of the place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is not my first review of Torre Argentina, having been a regular over the past 15 years when travelling to Rome for business and, occasionally, for leisure.
The hotel has recently changed hands and I wish to comment on that.
It has now been renamed EXE-Torre Argentina; all room information is written in Spanish first and I wonder if the hotel is now part of the homonymous chain, which has properties in Madrid and Barcelona.
I saw new staff, young and very efficient but lacking the navigated flair of the old one. The reservation manager (or the person I was redirected to for a phone booking), was definitely short if not snappy, fluent in Italian but with a foreign accent.
Breakfast, honestly priced at € 6, has enormously improved, both in quality and selection; rooms seem to have been slightly refreshed.
On the other hand, toiletries are not what they used to be, with the smart and earth-friendly glass dispensers gone in favour of diminutive pots of low quality, all-in-one shampoo (‘Champù’ in Spanish) and very small soap bars: all is made in China and none will see you properly through one shower, let alone one on arrival and another one the next morning; comb, toothbrush and paste, are no longer available. Same for complimentary pen and notepad.
Still a good place to stay but perhaps just another independently owned establishment relinquishing its features for a wider and standardised market.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business