“Hotel Madison...low end of average. ”
Review of Hotel Madison

Hotel Madison
Ranked #704 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We traveled with a large group...80+ people. The nicest thing about this hotel was the spacious bathroom. This hotel was like a maze... it was at most an adventure trying to find your room each time. There is a labyrinth of corridors, twists and turns to find your room. I questioned the elevators several times, not sure they could accommodate the mass of people or the constance use. Several times I have to hoof it 5 flights to get to my floor, which was faster then waiting on the elevator. The common areas were small, outdated and smelled musty. I didn't care for the area, however it was easy to find if you got turned around. I didn't appreciate this hotel advertising for WiFi then want you to pay 5 euros for 3 hrs use.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Madison

Reviewed June 15, 2013

What I like the most about this hotel is its location. It is literally right IN FRONT of Termini, the train station... which has access to the subway (that leads to major tourist sites - Vatican, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.) and the trains that lead to the other cities (Venice, Florence, etc). Even though it is close to the station and the surrounding area is quite busy, we slept very well in our hotel room. I don't remember being disturbed at all.

The receptionists that we encountered were welcoming and friendly. They took time to explain to us some of the day tours that were available while we were at Rome. My husband and I really enjoyed the day trip to Assisi! The tour bus literally picked us up from our hotel, which was perfect. The hotel is also only a block away from the hop on/hop off tour bus stop!

Breakfast was good...it had a decent amount of variety. I suggest coming early, as the place gets pretty packed and it may be hard to find seats in the dining area.
Our hotel room was neat and had enough space... house keeping did a good job cleaning our room daily.

My only complaint about this hotel was the WIFI. We stayed for about 4 days...and there was no wifi available at all. We were told by the receptionist in the beginning that the wifi was broken...but even after the few days we were there, it was never fixed. Definitely was a bummer. But anyways, we had to go to the cafe next door, buy some ice cream or capuccino to use the wifi.

So, it is a decent place to stay at! I would recommend it for convenience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neyamee
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel was amazingly convenient for a group. Lovely to just cross the street to Termini. Don't expect luxury around the train station. It's clean and the breakfast was quite decent for the price. There was much confusion about the wifi for our group. First of all, of course, no hotel should still be charging for wifi, so it's obviously a money-maker and seemingly one on the side for some of the staff. Just don't use it; it's VERY expensive. One of our group was charged $25. Go next door, buy a coffee, and get it free.

1  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a very good hotel, although it is quite busy: in the center of Rome. The service was good, the breakfast room was good. There are a few problems, however. The reception area is not very big, although I traveled with 45+ other people, with suitcases: It is a bit of a congested space. The lifts, there aren't enough of, and they aren't very big, it was hard to get 4 teenagers in, with suitcases. Also, the lift is a bit shaky, it makes me not at all comfortable (but, it's the same with all lifts, but this was worse). It is very much a maze then trying to get to you're room, but it is easier to remember the route to get there, and if you get lost, follow the signs to the exit. The room quality was very good. Although, some of the rooms had a good view, and some didn't. My room, for example showed what I would explain as a back alley, where all the trash cans, etc. go, from the back of the building.

Overall, a good hotel, not the best though.

Room Tip: Find one near to the hunderd, eg. 501, 602, etc. not one that is far away like 643 (which is the one...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have stayed here before and its a good choice for Rome in my opinion. I must just say I read the review below by 'Tati F' and it is very unfair - maybe as a regular traveller to Rome I am more in the know but the government city tax IS a compulsory tax to all tourists who stay in a hotel in Rome. Its a legal requirement as far as I know so I am not surprised the staff were upset it wasnt paid. And yes its not the quietest hotel in the world, but it in in the centre of Rome, so I think its harsh to expect it to be quiet like a country retreat.

The hotel is in a good central location, and the staff were friendly both times I've stayed here. I had a good chat with Ben on reception who reccommded a great pizzeria around the corner from the hotel, where the pizza's were delicious. The room was adequte. Its a good value for money option. I would reccommend it and would stay again.

1  Thank dansa3151
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, when I checked out they wanted to charge governament taxes that are not obligated for turists, the italian man, an old man that was in the reception started talkinh very agressive and said that he would call the police, and opened the door and said GO, LEAVE THIS PLACE, and very bad words. the hotel is poor, the people are agressive, dont go if you are alone, its dangerous, and the room doors dont close, its the worst hotel Ive stayed in.
Italian people are very agressive and stupid, so please stay in a safe place, because we are visitors and must be carefull, they are not kind at all. PLEASE AVOID, DONT PASS TO WHAT I PASSED IN THIS HOTEL, I FEEL IN THE OBLIGATION TO TELL PEOPLE. ROOMS ARE NOT QUITE AT ALL, IT IS IN FRONT OF A TRAIN STATION, PEOPLE ARE RUDE

Room Tip: rooms dont have a/c and smell badly
1  Thank Tati F
Reviewed May 9, 2013

sure, I get a special rate nonetheless the Hotel was very good located, opposite Termini Station, the bedroom and the bathroom where absolutely clean. The service was friendly and helpful. The bell boy service helpful due to my several luggage y had to carry to the train.
the breakfast very good and rich.

the only big minus was that they could not offer Wi Fi either a free one at the first floor or against payment.

for a short stay this hotel is recommendable

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo