“Macabre and educational”

Book In Advance
More Info
$118.23*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour Through the Most Iconic Places of...
Ranked #221 of 1,867 things to do in Rome
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I last visited 10 years ago and so much has changed. There is now a museum which is set out brilliantly. My 8 year old found the exhibits interesting and loved the crypt with all the bones. There were 5 of us ranging from 8 to 75 and there was something to appeal to all - well worth the entrance fee. I would not recommend to anyone with very young children or those of a delicate disposition!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My title says it all. The sense of elation at just finding the crypt is rewarding, but the senses are spellbound upon entry. Do not miss this slightly gruesome but superbly engaging experience

Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of the more interesting sites we saw in Rome. They charge 6 euros for the museum (which you have to walk through to go to the crypt), but we thought it was well worth it. We got the audio guide as well. It does not contain any extra information about the ossuary itself, but if you're interested in learning about the Cappucian order it is very informative. The museum is worth investigating, though we saw a lot of people run through it just to get to the crypt.

The crypt is a unique experience. I was lucky to go through it with a doctor so she was able to identify exactly what we were looking at. I have never been more tempted to break a photography rule, but I felt like it would have been extremely disrespectful in this case so I got a couple postcards instead.

Keep in mind this is a religious site so dress accordingly.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is one of those hard to write reviews. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone, but it was one of those I just had to see it for myself places. They have combined the entry fee for the museum and the crypt, so you now have to pay 6 euros to see the crypt. You must be dressed appropriately to enter, no bare knees or shoulders. The museum is a few rooms of religious relics and some articles that were the personal property of the monks. It took about 5 minutes to walk through. If you are a person who looks at everything it might take 30 min. The crypt is surprisingly above ground and down a hallway. The hallway has five "rooms"(think 15' x15' large alcoves) that are filled with decorative works of "art" created from the bones of the monks. Unfortunately, you can not take pictures, even though you will no doubt want photographic evidence of this outing. There are postcards in the gift shop, but they are not of the best quality.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is such a unique experience, never miss it, though you may not like it. Never see such a thing in my life. Since it is a frightening place, do not take your kids to underground cemetery.