“Great wine tasting”

Rimessa Roscioli
Ranked #2 of 568 Nightlife in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Culture | Tradition | Wine | Food | Not only do we offer our group dinner of 8 Italian wines, hand-picked by Roscioli's top sommelier, accompanied by generous food pairings from our world-famous Roscioli kitchen, we offer high-end tastings of Champagne, Burgundy, Bordeaux (check our Tuscany vs. Piedmont tasting). All wines and foods are sourced from extraordinary small local producers, representing several regions of Italy. The Rimessa is enjoyed by people who know little about wines to wine experts and masters. Want a shorter tasting or not to be in the group? Book our Tasting Bar, where you can customize a tasting of 3+ from 25 euros, all with a small pairing of Roscioli's artisan cheeses and meats, and explained by one of our sommeliers. Or, book a private tasting with Alessandro Pepe for a world-class tasting experience. Wine available to purchase or ship around the world.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great wine tasting”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had heard a number of good things about Roscioli both from the web and a Roman friend, but when my wife told me she had booked us a spot at their English language wine tasting I was a bit skeptical. Sounded like a good way to bilk tourists into buying wine, and I am accustomed to "swirl and spit" style wine tastings which I am not a fan of. This was neither. We showed up at Roscioli's main space on via dei Giubbonari (right off Campo de Fiori) and told them we were there for the wine tasting. We waited just about a minute and in came Sandro who escorted us around the corner to another space that basically looked like a small warehouse with two large wooden tables in the middle and settings for four people. Sandro explained that there were initially ten booked for that evening but six had canceled, and as time wore on it became clear that the other party of two were going to be no shows as well. I pity them because what followed was 2 hours of eating, drinking and learning with a man who clearly has a vast knowledge of and passion for wine and food, yet who is unafraid and perfectly happy to come down to the level of someone as amateurish as I am. Wines from across Italy were featured, each paired with cheeses and meats that are meant to enhance the flavor of the wine, or in some cases to be enhanced by the wine. Highlights include the spice-laden Schiopettino wine, which was new to me, and culatello pork that was simply amazing and the affable Sandro himself, who could very easily have canceled the tasting having been stood up by no less than 8 people, but gave us a wonderful evening instead. Your night is capped off with a Roman pasta dish (alla gricia in our case) brought over from the main restaurant. In the end we did buy wine (which is very reasonably priced) but not because we felt pressured to, because we wanted to after learning about them and enjoying them so much. This is a must-do in Rome if you have any interest in food and wine.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A must do in Rome!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is one of the highlights of my trip to Rome! The wine was phenomenal (come to prepared to buy) and the food was just as good! I wanted to learn more about Italian wines and I accomplished this after the wine & food tasting. We tasted several reds and white wines from all over Italy. The atmosphere is very comfortable and perfectly European. If you love wine then you will LOVE this.

High Bridge, New Jersey
“Allesandro - You Rock!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is NOT a mere wine tasting! This is an event! We learned, we laughed, we drank, we ate, we shared; all guided by the charismatic and knowledgeable Allesandro His passion for his craft draws you in like a new lover! The assorted cheeses and wines were carefully presented and paired wines in support of the Allesandro's "lessons". My friend and I knew no one else in the room (12 in all). But the company was great. THe setting was intimate and unassuming. After all it was in the wine storage building. This experience is a must if you are in Rome.Dont pay attention to the couple of hours the adverstising says you will spend- you will linger longer especially if you engage Allesandro in wine talk. I say Make the Time. You won't regret it.
Allesandro you should be on the Food Network.

South Bend , IN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“"Sideways" Tour if Italy in a storage room”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Thank you Alessandro, we had a wonderful time . You can find great food and wine nearly everywhere in Rome, but this experience was so much more than a meal. Alessandro taught us how to taste and appreciate the differences between the 12 different wines we enjoyed. The fresh Mozzarella and Buratta were out of this world. Do not hesitate to spend a long evening at Roscioli, I would do it again tomorrow.

“Fantastic !”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We were 10 people on our first night in Italy before a cruise. We had read some of the reviews on Alessandro's wine tasting and thought we'd give it a try. The evening was fantastic! We enjoyed many new wines and everyone enjoyed themselves thoroughly. Alessandro led us through the tasting over several hours and lots of wine. We would highly recommend this event to others.

We will be back!