“Morbidly fascinating”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Crypt of the Capuchins was recommended to us by friends and family, and we weren't disappointed. For 6 euros you get entrance to a small but highly informative museum containing information about the Capuchin friars, and a chance to look at the relics and items from the history of the order. Then once you've walked through the museum you enter the crypt, decorated with the bones of long dead friars. Some of the skulls still appear to have old skin attached to them, and maybe I've watched too many horror films, but I wouldn't like to be in there in the still of the night...

Photography is not allowed within the crypt, and you should dress as if entering a church (no bare shoulders etc).

As has been stated previously, the crypt itself is quite sobering, a reminder that this awaits us all (not having our remains used as decoration, naturally, but death and decay). A fascinating interlude on our Roman trip. I would highly recommend this.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This tucked away place was a little tricky to find but got there in the end. The first part, museum part, is really interesting and has some really fascinating relics. The crypt part is quite a sobering place, and has a serenity to it, to think that all those bones were real people once. The mummified bodies are a bit gruesome.
Remember it is a religious site and as such the dress code is strict.
Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Having been to the Bone church in Prague we thought we would pay a visit to this one in Rome. I must say comparing the two that I found this one to be a bit creepy and quite disturbing, not serene and moving like the one in Prague.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I suppose I've always been drawn to the 'macabre'. The crypt to me was just amazing, beautiful. Life and death is a very thin line and the crypt will bring that all to a new light. Morte bella... :)

1  Thank MissGypsyGirl
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After seeing all the wonderful Church interiors in Rome this was quite a shock, but it was one of the most memorable places we saw. The entrance fee is 6Euro but it was explained to us that this all went to charity. You have to dress as though you are entering a church (so no bare shoulders). The preceeding museum is very interesting with some impressive art works and relics. And then you enter the chapels decorated with thousands of bones, like a 3D human wallpaper. Some complete skeletons are dressed up as monks, others used as light fixtures, arches etc.
I don't think I would take any sensitive young children though!

1  Thank DianeR705

Been to Museum and Crypt of Capuchins? Share your experiences!