“Superb hotel- location, location, location.”
Review of Residenza Paolo VI

Residenza Paolo VI
Ranked #134 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We recently enjoyed 3 nights in a Junior Suite overlooking St Peters Square- what's the time- let me look at St Peters clock. A superb, comfortable, quiet and well located hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable and the staff helpful. A delicious breakfast was served in the breakfast room with a wide choice and we also enjoyed a light dinner on the patio. Don't look beyond this delightful hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mcittc

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here and found it to be wonderful. The staff was wonderful!!!! The views from the rooftop balcony/bar are wonderful and you can throw a stone to St. Peter's square and the bascillica ... We saw the pope twice and once was on Sunday morning from the roof of the hotel!

Also, if you walk down the street behind the hotel there are wonderful places to eat. La Vittoria!!! Delicious and affordable... If you make friends with the waiter....the price goes down everyday. The house red wine is excellent !,,,

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a king room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NanolaMarie
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Spent three nights at this hotel with my sister in a superior twin room in the newly part. Very nice room, not huge, but enough. Lovely bathroom. Lousy wifi connection in room even though I had paid, had to sit in the corridor. Great staff, very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. Literally across the road from St.Peters square, so if it is the Vatican you are after this is the place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GerryMCM
Reviewed September 21, 2013

After a long day of traveling, this hotel was the perfect place to start our Roman holiday! The staff was warm and welcoming, the rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable and the location is right across the street from St. Peter's Square. We literally walked 20 feet from our room onto the hotel's terrace and were able to see across the Square and listen to the Sunday Papal address. The breakfast is very good and there are also many restaurants nearby for lunch and dinner. They arranged transportation from the airport for us which was very convenient. And there's a lift, which isn't always the case in Italian hotels! Truly a lovely hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Teri B
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recommend this hotel without hesitation. The rooms were immaculately clean and well furnished. St. Peter's Square and the Vatican are literally steps away, yet the rooms are quiet and removed. The staff is personable, knowledgable, friendly, and very helpful. They gave us great advice and suggestions and arranged reliable cab service when needed. The breakfast is delicious and served in a beautiful dining room. We enjoyed dinner twice on the intimate upper terrace which overlooks the Dome of St. Peter's and the upper statuary of the square. Although the dinner menu is limited, the food was delicious and service was personable, and again, was a quiet respite away from the hot city bustle. The sense of peace and serenity throughout the facility is palpable. The monastic feel is wonderfully blended with a sophisticated yet casual comfort. While it is across the river and removed from the hub bub of the other central Rome attractions such as the Coliseum and Forum, they are not far and are easy to get to. Our room was one of the smaller ones and was without space to sit and visit however, the terrace provided us with a lovely alternative.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EWa332
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The title of my review says it all really. This isn't a bad hotel I just don't think it was nearly as good as a lot of other people have made out in other reviews. I stayed here with my wife in August for three nights. We had booked a double room. I've stayed in plenty of hotels where two mattresses have been pushed together and made up using double bed sized sheets and blankets to make a double bed, but this was the first time I've seen two individually made up single beds pushed together to make a double. Maybe its just me but that doesn't count as a double. The rooms aren't the largest in the world. With two large cases we were constantly having to jump over them to get around, but leaving them closed up and in front of the door, there was room enough to get around alright. I couldn't fault the room for cleanliness. The air conditioning though caused us a few problems. We could either have it on or off, but when we tried to change settings it would keep coming on and off every minute which made sleeping a bit difficult.
Staff in the hotel were a bit hit and miss. Some were excellent, helpful and friendly, while some others weren't. For instance when I asked at reception was there wifi, I was told yes but at a charge. At that point the receptionist went back to whatever she was doing with me left hanging there mid conversation, without her registering that I was actually willing to pay for the wifi.
While the hotel is kept very clean, the cleaners perhaps need to be reigned in a bit. Banging a vacuum cleaner along the corridor against the skirting boards at 7:30 on a Sunday morning isn't exactly a welcome wake up call.
After reading other reviews, I was looking forward to seeing the terrace facing on to St. Peters square. But for me this was disappointing as there is only a small section of it that you can actually access. Most of what's in the photos on the hotels website is behind a railing. My wife and I went up for a drink one evening but it took 25 minutes before our drinks arrived. I timed them based on the clock on St. Peters which should be taken a s a positive. Even though I was disappointed by the terrace, it's still impressive to sit there that close to the Vatican.
The best thing about this hotel is definitely its location. You really are so close to the Vatican. About a two minute walk from the hotel, also is a stop for the 64 bus. This bus travels through the heart of Rome and leaves you within walking distance of pretty much everything.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank steve1903
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here in August. I cannot say enough good things about it. The staff is helpful and friendly. The breakfast is simply wonderful. The rooms are clean, tidy, and comfortable. Oh and the location- the best part! Steps from St. Peter's square. It really can't get much better than this place. Probably my favorite place I stayed after being in ten countries this summer. STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2013