“A quiet refuge in Rome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa di Santa Brigida

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Casa di Santa Brigida
Ranked #575 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Guelph, Canada
“A quiet refuge in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent a wonderful two weeks here in June 2012. We hadn't planned on having dinner at the Casa, but did so on the first night as we were too tired to go out. Based on that first meal we decided to pay the additional fee and have dinner there every day - the sisters make their own bread and cheese, and the Piazza Farnese is near a large outdoor market so every day there were excellent vegetables and fruits. They bring serving dishes to the table which makes it much easier to control the amount you eat when on holidays and their choice of wine is good. Breakfast each day is bread, cheese, fruits, prosciutto, cereals, juice, yoghurt and excellent coffee.

The rooms have double-glazed windows and air-conditiong. Our room faced the Piazza Farnese and was very quiet except for an outdoor concert in the square sponsored by the next door French embassy one day, and a political demonstration the other.

Our room was very well maintained - very clean and everything worked. The Sisters were friendly and helpful, and they speak among them many languages. We made the mistake of booking through Monstery Stays, an American business which we thought was affilitated with the convent, but isn't. Monastery Stays added 25 euros to the cost of the room each day - this is their fee. Save money by booking directly at the Casa at piazzafarnese@brigidine.org and you will find that the sisters will respond in the language you write to them in. Many of the nuns we encountered spoke English, and before we arrived they corresponded with us by email in English.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Greg H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Sisters of Santa Brigida provide a pristine and beautiful place next to Palazzo Farnese, just down from Campo di Fiori. Expect immaculate rooms, antique furniture and polished marble floors. Enjoy the upper terrace, hot shower and generous breakfast. Do not expect the services of a concierge or deluge of maps of what to do. This is a different sort of experience. The taxi to the airport was only E37, arranged by one of the sisters -- and it was limo-style mercedes. Buon viaggio.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FSHphd
Newburyport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

As a female in my late 20s safety and location was my priority. Here is a rundown of my experience:
• Location: Walking distance to every major site in the city. I am a walker (love to get out and walk) and Rome is a walking city. So as long as you bring your comfortable shoes you will have no problem seeing all of the sites from this location including hopping over the river to the Trastevere for dinner. I never had to take a cab (again, keep in mind, I’m happy walking miles a day, others can take a bus or a taxi if they don’t like walking). Being in the Piazza Farnese and a quick walk from Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona walking back “home” was always a pleasure! Watch out for rooms facing the road as the Piazza is very noisy at night and you will hear it until 2-3 AM.
• Safety: The convent was very secure. The French Consulate is located in the Piazza, which was always guarded by security. Even if the consulate was not there, the square felt very safe, but it was nice to have the guards as an added bonus.
• Staff: The staff was very friendly, but not all of the nuns can speak English nor are all very familiar with the tourist sites and how to get there. They tried their best to help. The best help I got from them was borrowing a Travel Guide to Rome for the week. I also used this site a lot: http://www.roninrome.com/ for sightseeing advice. The nuns did give us tickets to see the Papal blessing on Wednesday, which we really appreciated - when in Rome its a great experience even if you are not Catholic.
• Cost: I paid 120 Euro for a single. Once my friend came to town we ended up cancelling our hotel reservation to stay in the convent. The cost for a double was 200 Euro. A little higher than I thought it would be, but we thought the value was there.
• Facilities: the rooms are small, but EXTREMELY clean. The convent is beautiful. The breakfast was simple, but filling (the coffee was great!).

I would stay here again when in Rome.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank KATHERINE Z
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

It has been some time since I was here but I still remember the welcoming feeling that my then new husband and I felt when we stayed here for our honeymoon. So glad to see the sisters still are still providing such gracious hospitality. It is the perfect location in the heart of the city. Near Campo de Fiori and within walking distance of the Vatican. A perfect place to relax at the end of a busy travel day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marycorrigan
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in February. The location can not be beat, steps off Campo de Fiori but worlds away in terms of noise and crowds. The roof deck has a spectacular view of city, I highly recommend going up there. All the sisters were very helpful and it seemed like they all spoke English. The convent was recommended to us by a friend who frequents Rome and we read about it in Rick Steves. I should note that none of the rooms have a bed for two, at best its two singles pushed together. The centralized location without being part of the tourist crowd was by far the best part of Casa di Santa Brigida.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank 3WeeksAYear
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was recommended to me by a cousin who lives in Rome. I was expecting a simple place, nothing special, but safe for a solo traveler. I was surprised in many ways. The common areas in this convent are really beautiful, even the areas around the elevators are simple but so well done. My room was large and comfortable with antique furniture and a great view of the piazza. ( which did allow for some noise at night) The roof deck is incredible. I have never stayed ANYWHERE that was so clean. Honestly, I think you could eat off of the floors. The roof deck is beautiful. The breakfast was just okay, but adequate.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Travelover1214
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

You are safe here. It was a memorable experience staying at Santa Brigita in a good location. The garden top was beautiful and a must see, but I did have to make arrangments in advance to go there at dawn. Sister corrected my Italian, which I appreciated and made me smile - just like my Catholic School days.

I went to Mass in the beautiful chapel. Lovely place.

We were not in the convent most of the time, but you do feel a bit confined; (like you are in a convent)! I guess that's to be expected. It is exciting when you think that you are staying in a building from the 13 century where St. Bridget lived.

Plan ahead to book a room, see St. Bridget's room, go on the beautiful rooftop, go to Mass with the nuns if you are so inclined.

Room Tip: Plan in advance