“Great Stay”

Ranked #451 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Sausalito, California
“Great Stay”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

It was a little hard to find at first because it doesn't look like your typical hotel but it just added to the charm. Our room was a Jr Suite which was very large. Bed was comfy and there is a very comfy chair to lounge in in the corner of the room. Some of the extra space could've been used for a full length closet. Our room was 2 levels- the bedroom was 3 steps up from the hallway- which I loved! It made it feel more like a small apartment. Bathroom was tiny and there isn't much room at all for any toiletries. Also note (for the women) that no conditioner is provided. Robes and slippers were provided which is always a bonus.

Wi-fi in the hotel is excellent. Very important since I work when traveling. Breakfast wasn't that great. Toast, some pastries, cereal and some meat and cheese. All of the employees we encountered were super friendly and helpful.

Location of the hotel is perfect! You can walk everywhere- Colosseum, Vatican, Parthenon, Piazza Navona, the shopping area, etc. We never took public transportation.

The one downside to our room was the window opened up into an open atrium where the employees of the hotel hung out to talk and smoke cigarettes. We could clearly hear them talking in the morning and late at night even with windows closed. But everything else at the hotel was great so it was hardly a blip in our stay!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Jr Suite for the extra room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Main advantage of this hotel is it's central and at the same time quiet location on small Via dell Orso near Piazza Navona. Street is small but nearby are couple of decent restaurants. And of course, lot of Rome attractions 5-10 min walk.
Hotel itself is type of "boutique", located in tastefully renovated historical building. Because of narrow building rooms are on small side. Design of hotel and rooms quite original, however sometimes design dominates over function: for example steps to get into bathtub (located in room) could be to difficult to manage for elder people; practically no place for toiletries.
On ground level they have restaurant, where breakfast is served. I felt that choice of meal served too limited for price. As well service not very attentive: more attention to internal staff discussions than to customers. But maybe it's just cultural difference.
Free wi-fi functioned very well.

Belfast
Reviewed May 6, 2014

A small boutique hotel close to all the sights by foot which was exactly what we wanted. The superior rooms are small with some design over function issues, for instance little if no storage space. However we were only staying for two night so not too much of a problem. The staff are lovely and very helpful and for a short break and with a small suitcase I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the side or at the back of the hotel. The location is away from the main square bu...
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Relais Orso is in a perfect location to explore Rome, we could walk to the Vatican and the Colosseum. Many restaurants nearby. It seemed to have been renovated recently and was in very good shape. Our room was small, but adequate and clean. It was early April and the hotel air conditioning was not turned on yet(not unusual), so we left the window open, which let in outside noise. Free breakfast and free wifi. Points off for a broken elevator on the weekend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry O
Seattle
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We spent three and a half weeks in Italy, ending our stay at Relais Orso in Rome. We had stayed in a different property at the beginning of our trip and I regret not rebooking there.On a good note, the design of the hotel and rooms is chic and modern. We were impressed with our junior suite, it seemed well appointed and spacious enough.Unfortunately the flaws outweighed the good. The elevator was broken, resulting in a lot of bag shlepping up and down steep staircases. It happens. We dealt with it. The rooms also face the street, which is very popular. Even on a Thursday people were shouting, breaking bottles and partying until 4am -- don't plan on sleeping much. When we woke, we found there was no hot water. Zero. After calling the lobby a very nice serviceman came to the room, apologizing for the inconvenience, explaining the switch had been turned off for the water tank. ????? The breakfast is lowest common denominator, so I'd recommend skipping it and getting something amazing from one of the nearby patisseries.If you want a cool, chic location and modern vibe and don't care as much about sleep or polished service you might like this location. For 208 Euros/night I expected more, especially after reading the Trip Advisor reviews. Lesson learned.

1 Thank MarcSeattle
İstanbul
Reviewed April 4, 2014

At the end of the March, we stayed there for three night. I think there is no better place in Rome for a hotel as location. Its perfect. Next to all attractive places. And rooms has charming interior design. I loved our Junior suit, name is Stanley Kubrick. Stuff is very friendly. Only problem was breakfast. Maybe it would be more right that there's no breakfast.

Room Tip: you must choose junior suit or suits
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hashmo
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I would actually give the hotel a 4.5 rating if I could, but I couldn't short-change them because they definitely deserved that extra 1/2 star. My boyfriend and I stayed here mid March for 2 nights. Our room was a little cramped, but it was really clean, modern, and well-appointed. They provided all the necesary toiletries and amenities. The hotel staff were eager to point us to all the attractions and held onto our bags when we first arrived (around 9:30 am). They quickly got our room ready for us and when we returned an hour later to drop off our coats, our room was ready. This hotel really couldn't be in a better location. We walked everywhere from the Vatican to the Bath of Carcalla, the Collosseum, and even the Termini train station (that was a little further than I wanted to walk). The Piazza Navona is about a 5 minute walk and is a great place to sit and relax and people watch.

My only complaints about the hotel have to do with the space and the lighting. I don't think the hotel maximized their use of the small space. The bathroom has a large toilet and bidet side by side, but I think the space could have been better utilized if they had an all-in-one Toto style unit. The counter space for getting ready was also nonexistent. I had to keep my make-up packed up in my bag and go in and out of the bathroom in order to get ready. I also had to go in and out if my boyfriend needed to come into the bathroom because it was way too tight for two. The lighting in the bathroom also made getting ready difficult. I think I might have looked a bit like I was in drag after doing my makeup there the first morning. The lights in the room also go on and off on their own accord. I don't know what that was about.

All in all, I would recommend staying here and would likely stay here again. The location can't be beat, the price was reasonable, and all my needs were met by this hotel.

Room Tip: It might be worth it to upgrade to the suite for the extra space
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple