“Cute place, too bad about the plumbing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Relais Orso

Relais Orso
Ranked #450 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cute place, too bad about the plumbing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed one night there on our way out of Italy. The place was smartly decorated; the service was friendly, and the location was quite central. Unfortunately, our internal air conditioner's condenser started leaking, and the best the hotel could do was get a mechanic in the morning. It's something they should be a little better attuned to. Also, the cleanliness wasn't great - there was grime on the remote and hair in the shower.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRelaisOrso, Direttore generale at Relais Orso, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for the review and the useful feedback you have provided.
We apologize if you did not find the cleanliness appropriate; we run double checks every day in order to assure everything is perfectly clean. We have already taken actions in order to understand what happened during your stay and ensure this will not occur again in the future.

Our best regards,
Il Relais Orso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I will start by saying that I am really disappointed with this hotel. We paid a premium price for very little. There are other cheaper options in the area.

The only plus I can give it for my holiday is the location although for the unwary note that the website boasts a few steps from the major attractions the reality is less than 30 minutes walk to the major attractions as they couldn't be close to everything. Suffice to say I thought location was good and possibly the only reason for its over the top price.

As for the rest.
We paid for a costlier room (a junior suite) to avoid some issues of other posts but to no increase in quality.

The shower barely worked (the water dribbled out only one side).
The remainder of the bathroom is very small and I had to stand on an angle to use the mirror which is so badly lit may as well not be there.
The towel rack was broken.
There is also mould growing around all the edges so I did not want to lean on anything and there were soap stain marks from the previous guests. The toilet while modern looking is also completely uncomfortable.

Smoke drifts in from any angle it can. Just horrible.

The iPad and speakers in the room (while a nice idea) did not work.

The wifi did not work. We asked it to be fixed but staff provided no assistance and I ended up resetting the wifi myself after many hours of playing around.

The lighting is awful as well (not helped by the many blown lightbulbs). While it looks "modern" it is not practical at all and just leaves the room feeling dark. This didn't help my better half who had to kneel on the bed in front of the only mirror in the room above the bed in dim light to get ready.

Last but not least was the sound insulation. There is none. At all.
The supposed beautiful courtyard (which the view of from above is all service ducts, lift shafts, scaffolding and brickwork which to be honest you expect apart from scaffolding) is just a nest for the hotel staff to shout and smoke from. We were 3 floors above and the staff below may as well have been sharing with us which at 11pm is not ideal. Worst of all was the demolition work. Now while this wouldn't happen all the time I am sure, it really ruined our stay. We hoped for a slight sleep in on our last day but the hammering and drilling was so loud that this was impossible. If a hotel knows this type of work is happening they are obliged to let people know and offer a discount. All the other problems might have been lived with but lack of sleep and an empty wallet for staying here has just annoyed me too much.

Suffice to say we wouldn't choose this "boutique" hotel again and if we did not think quality was anywhere else we would pay half the cost and hope to avoid sleep deprivation somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking some time to review our hotel.
We are sorry that your stay with us has not been as you expected. However, we would like to inform you that, because of your feedback, we have replaced the speakers for the iPad and fixed the problems in the toilet.
We had some issues with the internet provider and had Wi-Fi signal not working well for a week. We have now resolved the problem and the Wi-Fi connection is properly working.
We apologize this occurred while you were staying with us.

Best regards,

Il Relais Orso
Taguig City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The best part about this hotel is proximity to Piazza Navona and Castel Sant'angelo. The rooms were a bit tight and the aircon wasn't really cold enough for some warmer days and nights. We picked up a few nights for our last trip leg through jetsetter.com.

• Stayed May 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

What a great location! I didn't know what to expect as our taxi took turn after turn after turn and went down what can only be called an alley. He stopped and announced we had arrived. I was worried because I didn't see a sign or any reason to think we were at our hotel. What a cool little hotel! The entryway is tiny and hidden but so adorable. We checked in and took off walking not knowing where we were or where we were going. Two right turns, each less than a quarter of a block and we were on Piazza Novona. Just like that! The next time we left the hotel we took two turns and were on the Tiber. Seriously. You would expect it to be a loud hotel but you couldn't hear any street noise whatsoever. There were doing some construction so each morning we awoke to workers whistling. Not jackhammering, whistling. We were able to walk to all the classic Roman sites from our hotel but it was still super private. We tooth the train to the Amalfi Coast for a few days and Relais was sold out for our last night before we flew home. We stayed in another part of Rome (by the Embassy) and it was not a great experience. The hotel we stayed in was okay but the street was really loud and dirty. Relais Orso is a great hotel with great staff, great location, and very clean and modern. We had the Junior Suite and our friends rented the Deluxe. The Junior Suite definitely had more room but the Deluxe was nice too. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is the construction, I'm sure it will be over soon. LOVED Relais Orso, I would recommend it to anyone who goes to Rome.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is a good bit larger if you need the space. The Deluxe is good if you don't mi...
1 Thank Donna B
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Relais Orso is a very nice hotel. We used it for our long weekend in Rome. Kind of surprising thing about Rome is that it's kind of small. If you stay in good location (like we did), it's close to almost anywhere. From Relais, it's about 20 minute walk to Vatican to the west, or 15 minute walk to Spanish stairs to the east. about 3 minute walk to Piazza Navona to the south. Very convenient. Hotel itself is and attempt to use old building for modern facility. However, that has its limits. So while we had bathtub in the middle of our room, there was basically no space to store our luggage and clothes (rooms are kind of tiny). But apart from the size of the room, there is hardly anything we missed there. Obviously, we did not spend much time on the room, but even when we did, the bed was very comfortable ;-) And about 50 meters from the hotel is a great family restaurant L'Orso 80, that is a must to visit...

Room Tip: Smaller rooms (superior or deluxe) have near to no space for storing your bags or clothes, and are k...
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Relais Orso is in an excellent location, especially if you want to visit Vatican City, which is a short walk away. It's a tiny hotel with fairly small rooms; we booked a junior suite, which included breakfast, and it was about the size of a standard American hotel room. However, our room at the Relais Orso had sort of a loft quality to it. Upon entering the room, the *tiny* bathroom is immediately to the right; then you have to walk up a few steps to get to where the bed is. Our room had three windows, which let in sunlight but had a view of the elevator shaft.

A little gimmicky...

Relais Orso is a new hotel and, as such, still has a few glitches to iron out. Consequently, I noticed that the hotel offers some rather gimmicky perks to its clients. Those who are brave and have booked a junior suite or above may borrow the "Twizy", which is a tiny, battery operated "car" that seats two people, one up front and one in the back. We didn't use the Twizy, though we did see it parked outside during our entire stay. You can use it to get around Rome if you're comfortable trying to drive in Rome... which I can assure you that I'm not.

Our room also came with an iPad. I already had an iPad with me and though the room came with free WiFi, I could never get a signal with either my iPad or the hotel's. My phone did get the signal, which made it possible for me to keep up with things at home. Reading the reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor, I see the poor WiFi access is a common complaint. It would have been better if I could have used my iPad or even the hotel's, rather than my phone.

The bathroom

The bathroom in our suite was outfitted with a shower that had a rainfall head, a square toilet and matching square bidet, and a square podium type sink. The bathroom is very small and the shower doesn't get the best water pressure, which makes the rainfall shower kind of pointless. I imagine that if the hotel did get better water pressure, the water would go all over the place. The shower stall is tiny. The toiletries were okay, though there wasn't any conditioner included. Surprisingly enough, the bathroom had a "dental kit", which included a toothbrush and a tiny tube of paste, but no dental floss.

One thing I didn't like about the room was that I had to climb up and down stairs to get to the bathroom. In the middle of that night, that was a bit of a pain, not to mention potentially dangerous. The bidet took up valuable floor space in the bathroom, but came in handy on the last morning because we'd run out of toilet paper.

Construction...

Unfortunately, the Relais Orso is currently a bit of a construction site. We were there from Thursday to Saturday and there was constant banging and drilling that went on from about 7:30am until the early evening. While it wasn't a huge problem for us because we wanted to see Rome and were out in the city most of the time, it might be for someone who wants to stay in and relax during the daytime.

Breakfast

Our Jetsetter rate included breakfast in the small restaurant next to the hotel. I really liked the breakfast, which included breads, pastries, meats, and cheeses, juices, and coffee that tasted very chocolatey. Those who want coffee drinks can ask an attendant for one.

Staff

The staff is basically nice, though I did witness a couple of staff members being chewed out by a guest and when the guest was out of earshot, they started going off in Italian about her and made no effort to be discreet. Since I don't speak Italian, though, and the incident didn't affect me directly, I can still say the staff was pleasant... or at least they were to me.

Overall

I think once the construction stops and the WiFi gets fixed, the Relais Orso will be a much better hotel than it currently is. I probably wouldn't choose to stay there again, even though it is in a very good location. There are other hotels nearby that I would want to try. Besides, I really didn't like the very modern styling of the place. Painted on the wall of our room, there were song lyrics about how we are all fragile and broken... It seemed weird and a little pretentious for that to be on the wall of a hotel room. Nevertheless, our stay wasn't a disaster and we got a decent price on Jetsetter. If you like modern decor and don't mind construction, the Relais Orso isn't a bad place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel and did not encounter any of the issues mentioned by other reviewers. We even managed to get wifi when we needed it without any bother.

The location is perfect and we walked everywhere in Rome in under 15 minutes. While it is a 2 minute walk to Piazza Navona, there are plenty of great bars and places to eat all over the area.

The room is very modern and we thought a good size for a hotel in Europe. The bathroom is particularly spacious and easy for two people to get ready at the same time! Our room faced onto the street, but we heard absolutely no street noise at all and we are light sleepers. We were in Rome in mid March during a rainy, cold period, so we didn't experience any issues with the air conditioning and the heating in our room seemed to work well

The staff, including those in restaurant (operated separately) were just lovely. We thought they went out of their way to help us (e.g. on hearing we were heading to the Spanish Steps they gave us directions for a short cut).

We can't wait to go back to Rome again and will definitely stay in the Relais Orso again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple