“Five star service!”
Review of City Guest House

City Guest House
Ranked #2,812 of 3,711 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel was really a great bargain. The price was reasonable even with the extra cost for a private bath. The metro station is only a couple of blocks away which makes it very easy to get around town. The neighborhood looks a bit rough when you come in as there is a lot of graffiti. However I quickly realized that all of Rome looks like this, and the hotel is in a somewhat residential area. The free breakfast was substantial and delicious. The staff was amazing! They spoke English and German and were more than helpful. They will make reservations at restaurants, give you directions or whatever you need. The only down side was the smell of sewer gas at times, but I think again this is an all of Rome issue as all the restrooms stink. Overall it is a 2 star hotel by American standards, but the staff was 5 star!

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for City Guest House

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our room was on the 5th floor and so we had a lovely terrace. The room was pretty spacious and clean, and the beds are quite firm (I like the support). I was concerned about noise reading other reviews however we didnt notice it at all, the alarm clock woke us at 9am despite our room being on the same floor as the breakfast/lounge area! The bathroom wasnt large but it was big enough for the two of us in and out, the shower cubicle wouldnt suit a larger person though. The breakfast is basic continental but for the price you can eat your fill so cant complain. There is also an ice machine and vending machine on the 4th floor. The staff were lovely and spoke perfect English. Metro station is a few mins away and the metros run until 11:30pm in the week and 1:30pm on the weekend so its convenient. Metro is 1.50euro single or 6 euro day pass.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Extremely friendly and really helpfull staff. They speak fluently english and are of great help in how to go to the city, book taxi etc.
Rooms were simple and the badroom somewhat old, but everything was spacious and clean.

In a few minutes you can walk to the metrostation and have a fast acces (20 minutes) to the centre of rome.

The breakfest is oke.

Good value for the money

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Thank you for my recent stay, 13th-17th september. I didn't have an opportunity to thank you in my rush to get to my next hotel. I found the room a lovely size and clean but most of all the reception staff who I found very helpful, informative and endearing. In my opinion the reception went above and beyond.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We came to Rome with my girlfriend, and stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. We chose this hotel because of it`s price and beautiful photos seen in main hotel site. But, it was not the same place that we saw on the pictures. The location of the hotel is far from a center of Rome (5 minutes to metro station and ~25 minutes to center). Breakfast was good, but room was a little scary (old bathroom, the walls in the room were scratched, we find the full box of cigarette stubs on the room balcony, it was very disgusting). The reception service was good. I think you can find a better hotel to stay for this price. For solution, not recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glebuw
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I came aware of this hotel by browsing on the internet looking for a cheapish hotel near to Ciampino airport and when I saw that it was very near to the metro station and the reviews were pretty good I decided to book it for four nights.
It was very easy to find, after we left the airport we got on a bus (one euro 20 cents-pay the driver) just outside to take us to Anagnina which is where the metro line starts. Tickets for the metro were available from a machine which was simple to use and cost one euro 50 cents per journey. Five stops later and after about ten minutes we arrived at Numidio Quadrato where we got off and a couple of minutes later we were at the hotel. (I had looked on Google Earth to find the route).
We arrived at around 10am and were let in our room as it was ready. The room was very clean and spacious, everything that you needed. The beds were however a tad hard. We had a fifth floor room with balcony on the same floor as the breakfast room which was rather noisy at 7am when the food was being prepared.
Breakfast was ok-cereals, cake, croissants, jams, meats cheese, yoghurts and a toaster. A drinks machine which was good. However we only had one morning when there was a breakfast tea bag on offer-the other days it was Earl Grey which in an aquired taste.
The reception staff were superb! They answered every one of our queries. First class.
The surrounding area was for the locals-the drinks in the bars were cheap although not the classiest of places but we like this. We like to see how the locals live.
The restaurant next door to the hotel was brilliant and very reasonable but make sure you book as the doors open at 8pm and then it is heaving. We saw many people getting turned away. The waiters did their very best to help with the menu as it was in Italian and I am ashamed to say my Italian is non existant. There was plenty of choice and over the four days I had pasta, fillet steak and pizza all which were great.
The Metro ride to Termini took about 20 mins and we often had to stand. We never waited more than a couple of minutes for a train.
If you dont mind staying a little way out of the centre this hotel is ideal if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: If you like a lay in dont have a room on the fifth floor due to being near the breakfast room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple