“Best food and service we've had” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of River Palace Hotel

River Palace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
dorset, england
“Best food and service we've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

I booked this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights for my husband's surprise 30th birthday present. We wanted somewhere close to all the sites as we didn't have long in Rome and wanted to travel mostly on foot - as many people had reccommended.

TRANSFERS:
I had pre booked transfers to the hotel from the airport which was a great move. The roads are very busy!!! and the journey was more than half an hour - I didn't fancy wasting time finding buses or the right underground .If you have spare pennies I'd book a taxi.

HOTEL:
The hotel itself was fantastic. It was decorated beautifully. The rooms were not huge, but are definately not small. The bathrooms were gorgeous , all marble - very luxurious - just give the hot water a few minutes to come through in the shower.
The reception staff spoke impeccable english although we did try out a bit of our italian on them!
They can recommend trips/ restaurants and their advice is very honest.

ATTRACTIONS:
The hotel was in a fantastic location. It takes a while to find your bearings but follow the map the receptionist gives you and you wont go wrong. We are quite fit I guess, but the walk to every attraction was never more than 30 mins away.
Give yourself enough time to see everything though - the Vatican and sistine chapel ( this is INSIDE the museum) took us all day and we went on a Tuesday which was apparantly a good day to go . On a Wednesday the Pope does his service to the people in the square which is mega busy ( but you can pre book tickets online if you want to go to this )

We did a Rome by night coach trip which took about 2 /3 hours but was well worth it ( about 35 euros each) It gives you a quick look at everything then you can find your way back there the next day. The trevi fountain was gorgeous by night - you have to go .

EATING OUT:
The receptionist recommended us to eat in their own restaurant the first night- which we did - but wondered if it would be any good ( you know what hotel food is like over here sometimes).
Boy were we glad we ate in the hotel - the food was the best we have ever had and we do like going out for dinner.
The waiting staff were amazing , as was the wine they recommended to go with the meal. We ate like kings and for only £100 euros with wine- well spent money if you enjoy a decent meal. If you like all you can eat meal's however, this probably wouldn't be up your street.
You can find some great places for pizza and pasta all over the place - an especially nice one opposite the Pantheon. Stand infront of the Pantheon and it is on your right, 2nd one up. You can eat outside and watch the world go by. It served amazing antipasti and huge pizzas.
A beautiful city and an amazing hotel - wish we had booked 3 nights, still, there's always next time.

• Liked — The staff and evening meal in the restaurant
  • Disliked — i had to go home
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a taxi to your hotel - go for at least 3 nights if you can
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rsbuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Greek first
milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2006

I travel all over Europe for business and picked the River Palace for my recent stay in Rome. I agree with previous reviewers about the small rooms (not so unsual for Italy), but the decor, amenities and features of the rooms are just great. Moreover the cleanliness, the great Hotel's locatation steps from Popolo square and especially the staff kindness, professionalism and effectiveness made my stay a perfect one. They warmly suggested to try at least once their new restaurant. I usually stay away from Hotel restaurants, but they convinced me saying that they had just hired a new Chef and... what a blast!!! The dining room is elegant and quite classic, but they don't require any dress code, which makes the ambiance very friendly. The dishes are presented like art pieces, the food is exquisite and the service is 5 Stars!! The funny part comes when they present you
the bill, it costs less than any other medium/good restaurants that I've tried in Rome. Bottom line: one of the best restaurant I've ever tried in my entire life. (Ask for the chocolate cake with liquid white chocolate inside... it is to die for!!!).
In the restaurant, breakfast is also served and all the pastries are home made and of the same great quality of the dinner. From now on the River Palace will be my new home in Rome, if for any reason I don't find a room there... I'll definetly go there for dinner!!!

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank breds
Wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the river palace for 3 nights and found it to be a really pleasant hotel, just far enough away from the Piazza del Popolo to not get too much of the traffic noise (although staying on the 8th floor might have had something to do with that)

Once the taxi driver had finished circling Rome in an ever decreasing spiral until he found the hotel in the evening, we checked in fairly quickly and decided to eat in the hotel. While the food, drink and service were excellent and beyond criticism I think that 90 euros for a main course, a dessert and a glass of wine each to be a little excessive. 9 euros for a coffee and a lager also seemed on the steep side.

There are so many places to eat around the piazza (and a really nice Pizzeria at the bottom of the street from the hotel) that we didn't need to eat in the hotel restaraunt after that

The rooms are immaculate, although small, but if that becomes a holiday ruining issue, then you're probably focusing on the wrong things and you should get out more... you are in rome after all!

We found that all the sites are within walking distance (Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Venezia, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Forum, Piazza Navona, Castel S. Angelo, Vatican) and also the shopping down the Via Del Corso. Although our feet ached at the end of each day we managed to get around all these places in 2 full days at a relaxed pace. There is the Flaminio metro station near the hotel, but we never needed to use it.

PS if you fly using BA use the online check in - it saves a lot of time and queuing at the airport. For the flight back you can also check in online - Handily there is an internet cafe opposite the River Palace hotel

So, in summation, we both had a really wonderful few days in Rome, we were very lucky with the weather for mid october and I would recommend the river palace as a really nice place to stay for all the important reasons

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TerminalDecline
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

It was our first trip to Rome and we picked The River Palace because it seemed to have good reveiws on this site. We were not to be disappointed. What lovely rooms, we had a junior suite as there were three of us, they were on the small side but the decor was stunning and the bathroom out of this world. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The linen and towels were changed every day and there was a chocolate left on the pillows every evening. The loung and bar area were also stunning in their decor and it was a lovely place to unwind after a days sight seeing and shopping. Very good location, we ate just down the road in a small cafe were the food was fantastic and very reasonable. When we return to Rome we will be returning to The River Palace..

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat in cafe a few doors down the road on the corner.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank walterlazymouse
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in which helped justify the rather high price. Got a free upgrade on arrival to a superior room which was beautiful and spotlessly cleaned each day. The contents of a small marble quarry went into the bathroom which added to the luxury feel. The little box of 2 chocolates waiting on your bed each evening was a nice touch too.
The staff were very helpful and spoke perfect English.
The hotel is located at the North end of the historic city centre and most of the sights are within easy walking distance. Only the sights on the southern end (Colosseum, Forum) may require some assistance but then the metro is at the bottom of the street anyway!

• Liked — Quality
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't walk around looking for an ATM, there's one next door!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jnfrazer
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2006

My new wife and I spent 5 days at the River Palace following our wedding, it having been recommended to us by friends. I booked their Suite Borghese, with a roof terrace, and in the few weeks before our trip emailed them via their website to let them know we were on our honey moon.

I can put my hand on my heart and say that both my wife and I were amazed at our stay. The suite was beautifully decorated and well appointed, the hotel staff were the most courteous I have ever come across and the service they offered was first class. Without asking they had laid on fruit and champagne for our arrival.

I had also booked their transfer service to pick us up from the airport. It cost 60 euros and was worth every penny. I for one would not want to carry my bags around the public transport system of an unfamiliar city, their car was fantastic and made the journey trouble free. It was so good we used it to get back to the airport at the end of our stay.

Their restaurant had just employed a new executive chef, and we dined there the night after the opening. The food was exquisite, and the service, once again was unbeatable.

I had read a few reviews of the hotel on this site prior to leaving, and had become concerned about the issue of small rooms which seems to crop up once in a while. Let me put this issue to bed. The last comparable hotel room I stayed in was at the Barclay Intercontinental in New York. The room in New York was bigger. However, hotel rooms in America are, in my experience generally larger than anywhere else I have been, and the room at the River Palace was certainly big enough for us. It is just something you have to accept, that in Europe, especially in old cities hotels will be smaller than the purpose built monoliths elsewhere.

The Hotel is situated just north of the Piazza Del Popolo, on the main route through the city, 30 minutes walk from the Vatican and about 40 minutes from the coliseum, we went everywhere on foot, and did so at an unhurried pace always aware that our hotel was well situated within easy walking distance of the furthest attractions we wanted to see.

I implore you, if you are going to Rome stay here, if they haven't any rooms available, wait until they have.

• Liked — Quality of service
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the suite.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank chasbigspuds
Nottingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

We have just got back from staying here and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in Rome. The hotel was a very pleasant place to stay and the location was excellent.

All of the main attractions were within walking distance and very easy to get to.The Metro station is located just around the corner from the hotel and is just four stops from "Termini" - the main train station. We would definitely recommend using a "Terravision" coach to get from the airport to Termini and then hopping on the metro as a very quick and cheap means of getting to the hotel! (Return journey cost 17 euros per person in total for both coach and metro, whereas we saw taxis being advertised at 30 euros each way plus 5 euros extra charge per person and that was supposedly a good deal!)

Our room was very quiet (backing on to an internal courtyard) and quite spacious for a standard room in a European city centre hotel. There was a handwritten note from the manager on our arrival inviting us to go to him with any queries and the nightly turndown service with Godiva chocolates and tomorrow's weather forecast was a very nice touch!

Breakfast was typically continental with cereal, toast, fruit, cheese, ham and pastries available plus yoghurts and other extras. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant because Rome is filled with great restaurants and we wanted to explore! The cobbled back streets around the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navona are good areas for eating out.

The only other tip to mention is that access to some churches will be refused unless shoulders and knees are covered (especially at Saint Peters where the Vatican have a 'fashion police' checking you out as you enter the queue!!). This wasn't necessarily a problem as some churches provide scarves for covering up but it's something to bear in mind when planning your wardrobe!

If we were going back to Rome then we wouldn't hesitate to go back to the River Palace Hotel.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be afraid to use the underground (Metro) system.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple