“Great on all counts!”
Review of River Palace Hotel

River Palace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and couldn't have been happier. The hotel was in a great location--a few blocks up from the Spanish Steps, right near the Piazza del Popolo. There is a subway stop on the corner, and when we needed to get somewhere quickly, we hopped on that for 1 Euro each way. The lobby was nice and there was a neat, trendy bar on the ground floor. The hotel was clean and quiet and the service great. The night we checked in, we asked what the incredible smell was, and they told us it was the kitchen baking the pastries for breakfast in the morning. The breakfast was incredible, as they promised, fresh baked pastries, eggs, meats, cereal, yogurt, and on and on. The room was nicely appointed with a marble bathroom. My only concern is that the room was small, so my advice is, that if you can afford it, book one of the larger rooms if space is a concern for you.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,476)

Reviewed March 8, 2009

We have just returned from our second trip to Rome. We chose the River Palace because of the great reports on this site and once again we were not disappointed. We took the train from the airport to termini and then the metro, 2 stops to Flaminio. Exit the metro right at the end of Via Flaminia, and a few minutes later arrived at the hotel. Check in staff were very pleasant and although our room wasn’t ready (we arrived around 12:30) we left our luggage and went off to explore.
The location of this hotel is superb, steps from the metro station and also walkable to most of the sites in Rome. We opted to take the metro to the Colloseum and Vatican and walked back. Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona are all within easy reach.
Our Deluxe room was standard European city size, but with lots of little extras. Fluffy robes, slippers, nice smellies and an evening turn down service with little chocolates & the next days weather forecast. Bathroom was lovely, with large towels and good mirrors. Only negative that I can think of, is that the bathroom socket was the only one that we could fit our European adaptor into, it didn’t seem to like the other sockets in the room. Room also had a safe and adequate storage space. LCD tv with a few english news channels.
The staff in the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was varied: Fresh coffee (Cappuccino to order), teas, several juices, fresh pastries, fabulous cookies, real fresh fruit, cereals, meats & cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and DIY toast. Everything you need to set you up for a days sightseeing.
This hotel is fab and we would definately recommend it to our friends.

1  Thank TravelBoo2
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Right off Piazza del Popolo, this hotel is a hidden gem. It is situated in a good location for walking access to the Vatican and all major sites. Friendly staff and efficient rooms that are elegantly appointed. Great breakfast buffet. Happy hour for guests at half-price. We had a wonderful stay.

1  Thank Robert333
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I'll keep this brief- myself and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in February. From start to finish the staff at the hotel could not have been more helpful. Compliements go to Renato who works in the bar who was more than happy to amek any cocktail you would care to imagine! The chaps on reception were good enough to make restaurant bookings on our behalf and i really cant fault them at all.

The location of the hotel is such that it is on the northern edge of the city centre, but easily within 15-25 minutes walking distance of the majority of the tourist attactions. It takes about 2 minutes to walk to the hotel from the Metro station and is easy to navigate to, we transfered by train from the airport to the main terminal station then onto the underground, and got there in about 45 minutes.

This is a gem of a hotel and if we ever go back, which I hope we do, we will most certainly be staying at the River Palace.

Reviewed February 27, 2009

I was concerned that the room would be very small after reading these reviews, although I knew that typically hotel rooms in major cities are on the small size; it just makes sense because property is at a premium.
We were upgraded to a 'deluxe' room for no extra charge, so not sure how the other rooms compare. This room wasn't huge but was perfectly adequate. Again, it's a big city so we weren't expecting, nor did we need, a huge room. The room, and the hotel, is beautifully decorated and very 'Italian'. Bathroom was lovely, everything very clean. The dark window shades cut out all the light in the room, which is great for sleeping-in and getting over jet-lag. Service was excellent and staffl very friendly and happy to help out tourists.
Location was perfect; we walked almost everywhere, although there is a metro and bus close by. It's a great spot though, to walk day and night. Hotel lounge/bar is nice to sit and have a coffee or drink after a long day.
Only complaint was that at night, people got off the elevator and talked very loudly so we were often woken up with that noise. It would be nice if the hotel could somehow do something to stop that.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
GMPalace, General Manager at River Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2009

Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I'm sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Our front office is open 24 hours per day to serve all our guest. Should you complaint for our hotel or your stay in Rome, please let us know. We might be able to solve your problem.
It is a matter of fact that our classic rooms are on the small side (14 sqm). If you complaint for the size of the classic room, we might provide superior or deluxe rooms. These rooms are larger and with a better view. These rooms are available with a little extra (superior € 30, deluxe € 50).
Just let us know!

Reviewed February 25, 2009

I went to stay at River Palace Hotel with the bf expecting a decent sized room but what we got was the smallest room I've ever been in. There is hardy any room in the bathroom to move around in and 3 flies greeted us in the bedroom and the bathroom. The television shut off randomly and the hotel staff was no help as they couldn't understand the English we were speaking to them. After spending a few hours getting rid of the flies we asked for a pot of hot water which we were told would cost us 8 Euro. I guess we had been spoiled by our previous stay at the Victoria Palace in Paris, France that had provided us with hot water to make tea with every single night. I'll have to write their review next which can only be met with praise.

Continuing on the carpet in the hotel room looked like it has never been cleaned and the light in our wardrobe would not shut off. My bf had to stick the other end of a hanger in from the side of the wardrobe to turn the light off. I have not had the breakfast yet but I would definitely not come back here for a future stay in Rome.

Reviewed February 21, 2009

I have travelled extensively for business and pleasure and am very critical on what a hotel offers, customer service levels, location etc. From initially making the booking back in July 2008, countless emails asking questions about room facilities, weather etc to our recent stay, I can not fault this hotel in terms of location, quality, room size, extra touches etc. The staff are unique as they are very very friendly, will joke with you, ask if you have had a nice day, go out of their way to say good morning and goodbye but somehow are also totally professional at all times.
The rooms are beautifully decorated, lots of extras such as chocolates at night, bathrobes, slippers, mini bar, lovely toiletries etc. The hotel is well maintained and appears quiet homely, lots of places if you just want to sit and relax, read a paper etc. Breakfast is lovely, coffee, fresh fruit, the usual continenatal breakfast with fresh toast, bacon eggs etc-more than enough to set you up for the day sightseeing. You are not rushed at all and the waiting staff are very accommodating.
Location is great, we walked everywhere-we were exhausted but it was a lovely way to see the city. Food prices are about 10-15 euros for pizza and a glass of wine but you will be satisfied with this for lunch and at night on the opposite side of the piazza de popolo (2 mins from the hotel) there are some lovely places to try. Hi Res restaurant for a very special occassion and Canova for a lovely, good quality reasonable pasta or pizza dinner with a nice wine. I prebooked Presto tours for our tour of the Vatican-worth every single penny. Ryan was fantastic and I think if we ad done the tour alone it would have been a sheer waste of money as we would have just wandered around the museaums randomly. At the colloseaum you will be approached by tyour guides, they all seam friendly, no pressure and we chose one who saud her boss did the tour and was English speaking, he did speak English but had such a strong accent (Italian I think) I really struggled to hear what he was saying. They then included a free tour of Palatine HIll-this was so boring! the place was amazing -full of history etc but the guy who did this tour talked as though he had swallowed a history text book- if it wasn't so cold, muddy and windy up on the site we would have fallen asleep! All in all, if you cant get a tour for this with Presto tours, do it yoursfelf and get an audio tour for about 4 euros.
Rome was amazing and if I was to visit again, I wouldn't stay anywhere other than the River Palace Hotel (many thanks to Diana and all the staff there) and I would do all the yours through Presto (many thanks Ryan). Hope this helps...enjoy!

1  Thank abc123Staffs