River Palace Hotel
Good 3.5/5
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
2,576 results
All reviewshalf price drinkspiazza del popolospanish stepsfree bar snacksflaminio metro stationdeluxe roomwithin walking distancepastriesrooms are smallturn down serviceevery eveningclassic roomtrevi fountainan upgradelovely hotelhotel barfirst floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here for three nights. I had booked a standard small room but upon check in they showed me a large room which I upgraded to for a modest additional charge. The rooms are not overly large, that's typical for Europe. Everything was clean, beds comfortable, separate walk-in type shower pods, the wifi and TV worked well, the TV satellite programming may have had more channels than I've seen in any hotel.

My room was on the first floor facing the street, there was a little bit of noise from the street car outside, not bad though. There was also a little more noise than expected from guests walking around in the halls but again this wasn't a major problem.

I thought the breakfast buffet was very good, a nice selection of eggs, meats, fruit, and pastries. For a small-ish hotel it's really done quite well.

Location is very good, a 2 minute walk to the Flaminio metro stop at Piazza Del Popolo, 10 or 15 minutes walk to the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain, maybe 25 minutes walk or a quick Metro ride to the Vatican. Very good access to Termini station, you can exit the hotel and be at Termini in ten minutes using the Metro.

My only complaint is that I arrived at about 10:30 a.m. due to an early arriving flight and the staff simply told me to come back at 2 p.m. at check in time rather than making an effort to find a room sooner or offering to call or text me when a room was ready, etc. But other than that everything about this place was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We carefully chose this hotel because it looked typically Italian and seemed in a good location, a little bit away from the main attractions of Rome. The hotel was as good as we had hoped, with welcoming staff and lovely decor throughout. We were shown our room and an upgrade but decided that as we would be out sightseeing all day, the upgraded wasn't needed. The breakfasts were really good with lots of choice served by helpful, friendly staff. In fact all staff throughout the hotel were first class. Our room was quite small but had everything we needed, with our bed turned down every night with chocolates left. The only gripe was the small shower which was not suitable for my 6' 4'' husband. We were told that there is a refurbishment planned so hopefully this will be addressed. We weren't too keen on the firm mattresses but appreciate you can't please everyone and it didn't spoil our stay. We were very happy where the hotel was located, 5 minutes to Piazza del Popolo, 15 minutes to the Trevi Fountain, 20 minutes to the Pantheon but in a quiet area away from the crowds. Public transport was just metres from the hotel but we preferred to just meander through the streets, taking a different route each day where possible to see as much of the city as we could in our limited time in Rome. The hotel was immaculate and well deserves it's 4 star rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise H
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We liked the more out of the center of Rome location. It is just north of the Piazza del Papolo but easy walking distance to many attractions - or a simple bus trip away. It is closer to the Borghese Gardens and Gallery and the Vatican. Good sized room and bathroom, nice lobby with a good cocktail/snack offering. The breakfast was good and the staff was always extremely helpful!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mara V
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The service here is exceptional. The hotel is in a great location yet off the beaten path just enough to be quiet.

Our room #603 could not had been better - it was at the end of the hall away from foot traffic which is my favorite! The bed was very firm yet comfortable. The room had a bathtub! It felt great to take a soak after a long day of walking all over Rome.

Nice of them to offer a US power converter in the room and lots of TV channels in English. Ask the porter how to change the channels to English when he brings your bags up.

The breakfast was great - they even offered mimosas. I was a little tired of pastries and prosciutto that had been offered during our stays at other places so it was nice to see things like fruit and hot options like eggs and hash browns. I enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich one morning with my coffee.

We booked through hotels.com and found the room to be a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great hotel in a great location next to piazza del popolo and villa Borghese gardens and gallery. We upgraded our room to the villa Borghese suite for a reasonable fee and couldn't have been happier with it.
The room came with separate seating area, large bathroom with a Jacuzzi and the best part was the large rooftop terrace with views overlooking Rome which was lovely to sit out after a long day shopping!
Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice and the staff are happy to make you a latte or cappuccino if you ask them.
Cocktails in the bar are half price in the evening and there are also complimentary snacks available.
The staff were very helpful especially Albert who helped me with a taxi to return some shoes!
Overall, a really enjoyable stay. Would definitely stay here again.

PS if you are looking for a transfer from the airport to the hotel and back again, contact Alessandro - romalimostar@gmail.com who provided us with an excellent service at a reasonable price including a free tour of the city on our way to the hotel. Cant recommend him enough!

Room Tip: worth paying the extra to upgrade to the villa Borghese suite with rooftop views and large terrace
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family