River Palace Hotel
Hotel Colosseum(Rome)
$173
$155
2,599 results
All reviewshalf price drinkspiazza del popolospanish stepsfree bar snacksflaminio metro stationdeluxe roomwithin walking distancepastriesrooms are smallturn down serviceevery eveningclassic roomtrevi fountainan upgradelovely hotelhotel barfirst floor
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed from March 12th - 15th. Stayed in a junior suite room 109 which was everything we could have hoped for. The staff at reception, bar, breakfast were friendly and helpful, nothing was to much. Would recommend this hotel, and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: If you can choose a deluxe or better.
2  Thank Chippenham_9
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have to agree with all the positive comments in the previous reviews about this hotel, the service and quality of the breakfast and the "happy hour" made for a pleasant stay.
But the size of the rooms are much too small averaging between 10 to 12 sq metres, you will bang your shins or elbows on something. my partner and myself are both on the small side and getting ready in the morning and then on the evening meant one of us standing on the bed most of the time as there is not room for 2 to get ready at the same time, there is a small chair in our room which had to be moved onto the bed whenever you wanted to get to the small wardrobe or the safe, there is nowhere to put your suitcases out of the way either.
Talking of small sizes the shower has a corner opening door which can only be accessed by going in sideways in you are of a larger size than me you will struggle to get in it. To access your rooms you have to take an lift up a level and then around 2 corridors to the main lift which is will only take 2 people with luggage or 4 people very close together, this lift was broken again on our last but one day her and meant climbing to the 8th floor and back on 3 occasion's, this is when the friendly staff are not so nice, no apologies from 3 different members of staff because of this, just said the lift engineers had been called, "its out of our hands". I would have hated being stuck in that lift for so long, do not stay at this Hotel if you are even slightly claustrophobic or of a larger size. Its not centrally located as stated in a previous review but you can access the main tourist stops if you like walking which we did in the rain, hail and thunderstorm which Rome greeted us with our first 2 days there, but still had a lovely time there and even managed to see the final black smoke before the new Pope was elected.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are tiny, the more expensive rooms are not much bigger, check the Hotels own website to see room sizes, if I had of done before booking I would have stayed at another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tismyk
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from a five night stay in this hotel. It is situated in the centre of Rome and is in walking distance of all the major attractions such as the Roman Forum and the Vatican although buses and metro station are virtually outside the door. Our room was very well appointed, beds very comfortable and everywhere was spotlessly clean. Turning down of the beds in the evening with chocolates left on the pillows was a nice touch. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The choice of the buffet breakfast was excellent and catered for everyone's needs. Although not offering evening meals, the hotel had a 'happy hour' between 6 - 10pm every evening when all drinks were half price and there was a complimentary selection of canapes/sandwiches/eats on the bar. This meant you did not have to go out if you did not want to. However, there are many good restaurants within a few minutes walk of the hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rome whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was very happy with my stay at the River Palace. Firstly on arrival the staff were very welcoming and all stayed polite professional and helpful throughout my stay. I could not have asked for more from them, from concierge, maid, waiters and reception, everyone always smiled, said hello and welcomed you and offered to help. When checking in they gave me a map, pointed out where I was and where would be interesting to go. This was helpful.

The general presentation of the hotel is lovely. Clean and classy. Breakfasts were tasty with a variety of hot and cold and sweet. The bar has a happy hour (or three) and serve a complimentary mini buffet but there is no restaurant for the evenings.

As for the location of the hotel it was ideal. I felt safe walking the short road (2 min walk) to the Piazza Del Popolo and Borghese grounds. Add a couple minutes more and you arrive at the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. As long as you are wearing the right shoes you can walk to almost anything including the Colosseo, on the way to which you will pass many fantastic places to stop, shop and admire. For Vatican City you will need to take the underground but that is also only a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

As for my room at the River Palace, I was in 210. This was a deluxe double room. Not huge but big enough with a double bed, a dressing area and then onto the bathroom. It was quite dark in this room and the view from the window was I believe the concrete courtyard to the kitchen, which meant waking up in the mornings was pleasant (pastries and bacon), but it was shared with a block of apartments which I felt slightly overlooked by, especially as there was a window in the bathroom which I am sure gave them a view of the toilet! There were plenty of hangers in the cupboard and a descent hairdryer in the bathroom as well as a magnifying mirror. There was also a full length double mirror and fantastically soft towels, dressing gowns and slippers in the room. You have control of the heating in the room and in the evening there is a turn down service and they leave you with a weather report and chocolates. There is a well stocked mini fridge and the rooms are decorated nicely. This was also a quiet room, I was very rarely disturbed by outside noise. Unfortunately there were only two plugs in the room and no tea/coffee facilities. I also could not work out how to turn the bathroom light out, (but that could be just me). The Hotel are environmentally friendly giving you the option for towels and bedding change.

Overall I visited this hotel on my own and was very happy with it. I would return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DippyDee
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March, the hotel was exceptionally clean and well decorated. The room was a bit small, but very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful, every one greeted you with a smile! The breakfast was great, a good selection on offer, the happy hour in the bar was great value between 6 and 10 pm a pint of lager was approx 2 Euros, in addition to this free bar snacks were provided, which were excellent.
The location was great, right next to Piazza de Popolo and within walking distance of all the main sites. I would definitely recommend this hotel, thanks River Palace for making our stay in Rome memorable.

1  Thank Lynn F