“Part 3 of our Honeymoon”
Review of River Palace Hotel

River Palace Hotel
Ranked #45 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Upon arrival from Paris, France we flew into Fiumicino – Leonardo da Vinci International Airport. We caught a shuttle from the airport to the front door. Check in was very easy as both people spoke fluent English. We were upgraded to a suite with a balcony over looking the city street. As well we could see the spot lights coming from Peoples Piazza and the rest of the city scape in the back ground. We ate at restaurants within walking distance every night. We purchased some Italian wine for the room. We also sat in the hotel lounge for some splendid drinks made by the bar tender. We were able to explore every major attraction from this hotel. I recommend the hop on, hop off bus tours as we were recommended this by a couple we met at our last city we visited. Checkout was easy, the concierge ordered a private car for our return to the airport 50 Euros.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Landon M
There are newer reviews for River Palace Hotel

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The first night we were actually transferred to the sister hotel. They claimed this was because of a leak; whether it was true or not, they gave us a big upgrade at the sister hotel to a very nice, opulent room and a free dinner. They paid for taxis both ways as well. They could not have been nicer or handled the transfer better.

This contrasted strongly with the next three nights at the River Palace hotel. The River Palace is a good hotel, but our room was outright tiny, even by European standards. I would almost certainly upgrade the room from the basic level next time, but how could I know it would be that small until I actually saw it? The bathroom was a better size and was very nice quality. The bed was a decent size (although I have no idea how they fit it into the room), and I thought it was perfectly comfortable. The carpet in the entire hotel, as well as a fair amount of furnishings, are becoming quite dated and worn out; the carpet appears especially dirty in many places, including in our room.

Breakfast was included and had many options, but its quality was average and I honestly could tell they were reusing the food from day to day, which is strange for a four star, although I noticed the same issue at multiple hotels in Italy.

I thought the location was actually very good. It is a quick five-minute walk to the metro station right outside the hotel, and it equally distant to go the Vatican or to the Trevi Fountain area. The Colosseum and Roman Forum are just a little farther. You could not honestly walk to everything in Rome in any case, so its location this close to a Metro stop is a definite plus.

Room Tip: Upgrade from the basic room to a bigger one; drinks are half-price and quite good during happy hour...
1  Thank James B
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have been to this hotel three times, so I like it. The rooms are elegant, though some are rather small. Also the hotel have on one occasion let my rooms out prior to the visit to moaning American who didn't like their position. This mean rather then two twin beds we got two beds, one triple and one single which meant my family were divided up. Not convenient, but the hotel dod give us a free 100 Euro meal as compensation.

The breakfast room is in the basement, well appointed and in keeping with Roman breakfasts, nothing to write home about. However, it suits its purpose,
A great attraction is the bar. !/2 price cocktails for a few hours in the evening and not pricey, which was good.
Would I go for a fourth time. yes. Staff are helpful, polite and are keen to please.

Room Tip: If you want to eat well, but cheaply leave the hotel, take first right and at the end of the road is...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Crispsting
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Pros: Helpful staff, good cocktails, quiet room (street facing on 7th floor), wifi in rooms
Cons: Most uncomfortable bed ever, bad tea and coffee, location

On arrival we were offered an upgrade. On checking out both the classic and deluxe rooms we originally opted to stay in the classic which was tiny and only had a shower. After 5 minutes of lying on the hard and lumpy bed I phoned reception and was told that all the beds are the same standard. All we could do was upgrade and get a bigger bed so we paid the upgrade. The bed was still hard and lumpy but was a 5 foot wide bed rather than 4.6. The decor in the hotel is getting quite old and tired.

The hotel is in the north of the city and if you are a tourist it was quite a walk to anywhere but it was close to the metro.

The hotel is a weird layout, you have to take 2 lifts to go anywhere above the first floor. There are stairs which we did use a few times as the second lift only takes a max of 4 people but we were told it was for fires only.

The breakfast was good of its type, cheese, salmon, ham, sausages, bacon, cereal, fresh fruit, prosecco! The downside was the coffee which was pretty vile, and the water didn't get hot enough to brew tea.

Overall, it was a nice hotel but the beds were so awful I wouldn't stay there again.

Tourist tip: Make sure you have a wee before leaving the hotel as public toilets are rare in Rome.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor facing the street and it was very quiet.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very easy to find, right by the metro and very well situated in the city. A friendly guy checked us in, showed us the main attractions on a map and a porter took our luggage up to our room. The breakfast is good, there's no restaurant though! Although, the bar does have a happy hour between 6pm-10pm where ALL drinks (except coffees) are half price! And they also provide plenty of bar snacks - great sandwiches!

I smoke, so was in and out, but the reception staff were always there to say bongiorno! And were always very helpful when we asked for directions/recommendations. And the cleaning staff were excellent! The room was immaculate every time, and they leave out little chocolates for bed time :-)

My only gripe would be our Superior room was a bit small! The bathroom was very pokey. But it was all very clean and well presented.

I would recommend it!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stay away from this one. I wrote a review and Trip Advisor would not publish it according to their guidelines if a certain allegation is alleged concerning other reviews. I booked this place because of ALL the good reviews and figured the bad ones were just whiners. I couldn't understand WHY there were not a lot other bad reviews being posted. NOW I KNOW!! I should of known when I arrived at the hotel and found 3 different parties at the front desk complaining about something ...I paid no mind (my fault!). They brought me to my room and I thought they made a mistake! Nope! I asked for a bigger room (larger than the 8'6'' x 8'6''). They showed me another room 1 foot larger for an extra 20 euros a night. The double bed took up more room than the 32" x 75" bed that I ended up getting, but left barely no room to get around in. The bed was hard as a rock and every morning I awoke with a severe back ache. Not to mention the 2' thick walls with no insulation in which you can hear every word my neighbor was saying. They were not speaking loud either. As I stayed here (they would not refund the money- why would they!) I noticed that every guest I met had a disgusted look on their face because of this hotel. The hotel computer was crowded with people looking for other hotels and willing to lose their money just to get away! The breakfast was terrible, stale pastries. Stay away from here! If you think I'm just a whiner ....then when you get there ask to see the room before you sign anything! Otherwise once you sign in you lose ALL of your money if you choose not to stay as I KNOW you will not want to stay.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else but here!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank hvactech_12
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Having booked the new year deal - we arrived at the hotel and was greeted by a serviceminded staff. After checking in, the receptionist took out a map and gave us directions to all major attractions and a good hint of the walking distance to each. Right away you feel the perfect location of the hotel close to inner city and the metro. We also received a great guidebook in english.
We got a room on the 1st floor which was okay, size was fine and bathroom with shower also fine. Spending a few nights there reveals a lot of different sounds, most annoying was the almost constant sound of running water from the ceiling and the tram outside the window
Breakfast is the standard buffet kind, but gives you a good basis for a day of sightseeing, very weird that the plates wasn't changed during breakfast, we had to ask for a change of the plates after eggs and sausages.
There is no restaurant in the hotel but a nice bar with a long happy hour where there are plenty of snacks and antipasti to keep you going.
Friendly staff all the way through our 4 nights stay over the new year, and good value for money but more 3 big stars than 4 !

2  Thank fru_jensen