“Good as long as you're not on the ground floor in which case it's awful”

Capo d'Africa Hotel
Ranked #71 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Do not accept room 105!!!! It's dark and poky and is directly above their delivery bay doors into their basement and deliveries from early hours meant that we got no proper sleep until moved to a high floor room for our last night which was light airy and lovely. We had requested a high floor room when booking our holiday after reading a few comments about street noise but our request was ignored.

We were very disappointed as the price and the Cresta brochure pictures suggest better than we got. The same room rate at a london hotel would be a UK travellers idea of luxury but falls vastly short in Rome - which is very expensive all round.

The reception staff were helpful, the breakfast excellent and the terrace bar was a great place to chill after lots of walking around Rome. Apart from our specific problem with the ground floor room it was in a quiet neighbourhood so sleep was great once we were moved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Capo d'Africa Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2011

We just returned from a 3 night stay at Hotel Capo D'Africa. It was a total pleasure. The hotel is beautifully located and wonderfully appointed. We were greeted by a lovely staff, who took the time to orient us to the city and point out all the highlights. Each day we got to wake up to a delicious breakfast manned by a warm staff. The best was leaving our hotel each morning and being greeted by the Coliseum! How great is that!
Thanks for everyone at Capo D'Africa for making our stay so memorable.
Donna and Rick Towner

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank townerd
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I selected this hotel based upon location and its tripadvisor reviews and most of the previously reported factors rang true. The collection of bags by the hotel porter was so quick my girlfriend was worried they had been knicked. Check in was quick and informative and a great map was given - there was no hard sell of trips although a leaflet was given with some trips but no pressure exerted at all.
The room was compact but sufficient for us and the bed was hard which I liked. I did hear some lorry noises early in the morning but I would say that the hotel is in a quiet area. The reception staff did say that they would move us to a higher floor if we found it a problem (as I mentioned the ground floor had some mixed reviews on tripadvisor).
The room was very clean, everything worked and it looked fresh. TV choice is lacking for english speaking customers (Sky News & CNN only).
The negatives from my perspectives (1) the reception staff quoted me 75 euros to be collected at the airport but my research indicated that this should be a 40-50 euro fare (2) the food is expensive so we did not order anything even when we really wanted to stay in (3) the breakfast staff are quite disorganised with drinks going to the wrong tables, squabbles between staff and I was told by the usually nice young waitress that the incorrect delivery of coffee was what I asked for yet they clearly struggled to remember what orders they had taken (minor issue but irritating all the same to be told that the waitress knows better about what I would like than I do myself).
Other than these minor(ish) points it is a good hotel to pick with lots of local restaurants, generally good service, very clean, fresh design and very close to the ancient Rome sites of interest.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MikeySmiler
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We found this hotel thanks to trip advisor.... and it was a real pleaseure to spend 4 nights here. Room was clean and nice, breakfast really nice and people ready to help ! Sorry, but nothing was not at the expected level ! Maybe the bed was a little bit too hard for my back... but nothing to do with the quality of the hotel.

On top, you'll have to wal 10' to be at the Coliseum and 15' to reach the metro...

If you go there, try the familial pizzerai 50 meters on the left of the hotel... Chap, fantastic quality, real Italian spirit... much more better than the one in fron of the Coliseum !!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicolasCr
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Arrived for a 4 night stay 29th March to 2nd April 2011. First class service, rooms very good, towels and beds changed each day. Staff right through the Hotel were very friendly & helpful.
Would certainly recommend this Hotel. it was certainly a 4* with a difference.
Would like to thank everyone at the hotel, and would certainly return when next in Rome!!!
Jean and Wendy England.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Check-in:
Swift process. Reception staff friendly and welcoming. One of the guys insisted on giving me an apple and some candy each day, which was sweet. He'd say something in Italian to me, I had no idea what it was - it sounded friendly so I just said thank you and smiled.

Room:
A very nice average size room, not big or small. Flat screen TV with CNN (a must for me is some news channel in English). It was winter so the heating was on point, nice and cozy room. The gown and slippers were a nice touch although I'll be honest both gowns in the room had seen better days and could use a fabric softener...

Cleanliness:
I know for a fact that the bed sheets were not changed for my entire stay. That was 4 days or so. I had slightly soiled one sheet (yes, Im a woman so that happens sometimes) so I took it off to wash the stain. That was achieved. However, when I came back at night, the same sheet was in the bed - damp on one side. So i slept on the other side, no issues. I was scared they'd make me pay a fortune if I complained about changing sheets. Their beds are big enough. But that sheet was on my bed till I left. Well I guess that was punishment from the hotel gods for my bad bad behaviour :)... But I washed it.

Breakfast:
I totally loved it. The waitresses were very friendly, the room was nice and cozy. On one of the mornings, I managed to get a view from the terrace and I know that in summer it must be a wonder to have breakfast from there.

Location:
Wow... Its up the road from the Colosseum. Get off the metro and its a 10 minute stroll to the hotel. Its a safe area. I'm a picky eater so I did not enjoy the first restaurant I tried and decided to keep it junk, some soda/crisps and fruits. But there is plenty bars, cafes in very close proximity to the hotel.

All in all... I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling... If it wasn't for the fact that I was punished by the cleaning staff/hotel gods, I'd be giving this establishment a perfect 10...

Room Tip: Be friendly to the staff...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
AngBat, Direttore at Capo d'Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for chosing the Hotel Capo d'Africa and for the time for your review.
It goes without saying that it is with great distress that I learned about the inconvenient occured during your recent trip to Rome, I wish to inform that at the Hotel Capo d'Africa we started a new green policy which is called " A little gesture, big enviromental benefits ", which is the possibility for the guest to choose, by placing a litte green card that is placed on the bedside table,on thebed if would like the linen changed,
this will help to reduce chlorine and detergent use to save a huge quantity of water.
Unfortunately you did not notice the card and our maid mislead your willing and we apologize for that.
Best regards
Angelo Battistini

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Lovely hotel, great location, terrace is lovely, friendly staff. Only criticism was that the staff did not have the latest information with regards to trips ie Vatican City, hop on/off tour buses - when they were closed due to special holidays or other events. This may not have been their fault but it would certainly put me off booking trips through them if I were to go there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple