“Disappointing”
Review of Milani Hotel

Milani Hotel
Ranked #589 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We read so many good things about Milani but we were deeply disappointed.
The room looks very old (ugly green furmiture), the bed was very hard and unconfortable (I woke up early with back aches), the bathroom is small with no single clothes hanger . And the TV had few channels, non in English. Staff members were mostly not very friendly (there is one nice lady)
We had better 3-star hotels in Europe.
The good points - location, and nice breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chen A

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was blown away by how helpful the staff were here. It's ideal because I was completely useless with my itallian and I ended up finding it difficult to communicate but the staff knew english which helped me lots.

It's next to the termini station so there was a huge city link to take you everywhere. I loved it and the staff helped me with that too, advising where would be good, where to go and how to get there.

I am booking up again for august, I loved the place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ChrissyWood
Reviewed December 17, 2012

if you are planning a citytrip to Rome and want a hotel where you can start from, hotel Milani is definitly the place to be. Its located near the trainstation and everything is within walking distances. The service is great, breakfeast is ok. The staff is friendly. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mike R
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel is situated next to the Termini Station, with transport to all parts of Rome and Italy available. The staff is friendly and extremely knowledgable about how to get around Rome, and the hotel offers a free map and booklet of the city. The room has a sitting room, bedroom, and very clean bathroom. The heating was more than adequate. Breakfast is buffet-style, standard but you can eat as much as you want. The hotel is within walking distance of the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mishey117
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel is in a very good location, 5 min walk from Termini Station with the A and B metro intersection, Airport Express train and countless buses. 2 hop-on/hop-off buses run 50 yards from the hotel. The hotel was also spotless clean, no dust and fresh towels every day. Very good for Rome.

But sadly this was it with the positive experience. On arrival, the receptionist was arrogant to say the best. Language skills were below par - far below. We were given rooms on the 3rd floor. On booking the website announced wifi throughout the hotel and in-room safe deposit boxes. In the rooms there were no safe, and no wifi. When I complained the receptionist first told me this was "superior room only". I showed him my confirmation mail with info about in-room amenities, and he got angry and then rude, treating me like a child. Finally he just left...

We went in December, so it was about 5 degrees C. The hotel was badly insulated, and in the bathroom the heater did not work. We went down to tell them and ask them to turn on the heat. They told us "certainly Sir" and 5 mins later a guy came up and switched on the AC. This did heat the room but not the bathroom. This guy understood no english at all, and we had to drag him into the bathroom and show him the heater. I told him " I want to shower, and here it its freezing cold". He went "que?" and the finally stated "No shower! No shower" and left.

After this I went to the reception and told them in rather clear language how I felt - the volume accordingly loud. 10 min later the heater was on...

The general language skills were far below expected, even for Rome. I mean, how can you work in a hotel and not know the word "shower"? I also tried to ask the receptionist about the wifi. I tried 15 mins to tell her that "yes I want to use the wifi ON MY IPAD", and she only wanted to talk about logging in on the computer in the lobby. I held up my iPad in front of her and told "use this one! THIS ONE". She dragged me to the lobby computer, pointed to it, said "wifi" and left. So we used 3G when we needed internet...

Breakfast was OK, but the burned mud they called coffee was the worst I have ever tasted...Luckily a decent espresso was readily available all over Rome.

When we checked in the receptionist told us that we had to pay the 2 Euro tourist tax pr room and day. When I wanted to pay they told us "cash only". As this was just a few hours before flying home we had used up all our cash. Nobody had told us this, it wasn´t written anywhere either. We managed to get together enough cash though...

A cheap hotel in Rome can be of very varying standard. But this was just far worse than what we expected. At least you should expect the website to give correct info. We also expect some language skills - not much just the basics ("wifi", "shower", "heating does not work").

The hotels faces a cobble-stone street, and combined with the bad insulation we slept badly most of the time. The street wasn´t a main street, but the way the italians generally drive (full throttle and horn honking) it was loud enough.

The only thing saving this hotel from total bad rating is the location, and the fact that it was spotless clean.

A good tip: 50 yards form the hotel - just in front of Termini - you can find a hop-on/hop-off bus running every 30 mins. This is actually a good way to get to the main sights in Rome.

Room Tip: You may try to get a superior room, as these are rumored to have safe deposit boxes and wifi. We rea...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Ok hotel, but the last day, the hot water went broke. They didn't do a fast repair, som 1½ day without a bath :-(

Breakfast was ok. They served Glutenfree bread, as written when ordered, so that was good service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here for three nights now in November. The hotel is good, the rooms are spacious and the clean. We had requested two beds and were pleasantly surprised to find that they were two full beds instead of the standard single beds in many European hotels.

The hotel is very close to the main train station in Rome - probably less than 5 mins walk. We walked everywhere and while it is not real close to the main tourist areas, it is not far at all. Maybe 15 min walk to the Coliseum. It was also nice to get a bit away from the tourist restaurants. The hotel had some nice recommendations for places to eat.

I had read a review that this area had a lot of homeless people but we did not see any while there. Felt safe walking around.

The breakfast was a bit better than the normal European breakfasts. They did have eggs and bacon in addition to the basic meats and cheeses.

The staff was nice, the rooms were clean. The wi-fi was not free and you could only get it in the lobby for 1 Euro for 15 mins.

Overall the value for what we got was good. It's not overly romantic so I wouldn't go there for a romantic getaway, but for friends or a value trip, it is a great place.

Our room was on the 5th floor facing the main street and no issues with noise from the street, so that was nice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Gabriel R
hotelmilani, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Milani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Mr/Mrs. Gabe R, thank you very much for your positive review. Staff of Hotel Milani happy that you really enjoy your stay!
Regarding to that review that you saw about a homeless people in the aria I 'd like to confirm that fact as not true. I guess it might happened to somebody eventually in the pass street or just whom was not happy of their travel in Rome, wrote this as excuse. As you said, certainly it is safe walking around the area of Hotel.
Hotel Milani is continuing to its room reconstruction, we hope to get it done completely by the end of the year.
We are looking forward to see you again in our Hotel on your next visit of Rome.