“Street Food Tour with Sophie Minchilli”

Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome
Ranked #2 of 494 Shopping in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Elizabeth MInchilli in Rome offers intensely delicious food packed private experiences in Rome. Join professional food write Elizabeth Minchilli on a day long exploration of markets, food stores, wine bars, ice cream shops, chocolate makers and pizzerias. Make every bite count! Featured in The New York Times, Travel & Leisure and Food & Wine Magazine.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you don’t have time for a 6 hour food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli, I would highly recommend the 2 hour street food tour with her daughter Sophie. The tour centered around Piazza Navona and Campo de’ Fiori. One of the special things about a food tour is that you are introduced to shops that you may never have ventured into. At our first stop, we tasted suppli (a bit like a croquette) - a ball of rice stuffed with mozzarella or other “stuffings”. Very delicious. This shop also offers “take away” dishes. The selection of vegetables and rice looked great. We are here for a month+ in a small apartment, so the “take away” would be a good alternative for one of our weeknight meals (when you don’t feel like cooking or sitting in a restaurant). Our second stop, pizza - you’ve seen a lot of that in Rome, but this pizza was superb. My husband especially liked the one with potatoes. Third, we stopped in a restaurant (I know I would not have walked into this restaurant on my own) and ate fried fish - bacala - I don’t think I would have ever thought of eating fried fish in Rome. It was delicious. It was like eating fish (and no chips!). Finally, we stopped in a pork shop in Campo de’ Fiori and sampled a variety of salami. Of course, with each sampling of food, we had a glass of wine (and water is offered). Sophie is a delightful and warm person. She explained the importance and history of the food sampled and talked about her favorite food treats when she was a child. She speaks with great pride about food in Rome. This was a great tour to sample Roman food - not your typical street fare (thinking of hotdogs in NYC, though Food Trucks in NYC are hip and happening!) Our tour was on a Saturday from 5 to 7pm. The cost was 85 euros per person. Method of payment - PayPal or Bank Transfer. Enjoy! PS - If you are traveling solo, this is a great way to join a group tour! (written by K. Towner)

8  Thank Kathleen T
ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

I"m so glad you enjoyed the Street Food Tour with Sophie. This is a new venture for us, and Sophie has worked long and hard to develop a tour that takes in as much as possible in a short two hours. I'm thrilled that it met your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"molto"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I have been to Rome many times, but had never really spent any time in the Monti District. I happened upon Elizabeth in chowhound.com, and contacted her about her food and wine tour. We met up this week, my wife, sister and I and had an incredible day. Elizabeth imparts her knowledge on food, drink, cheese, and the Monti district itself. She made some changes in itinerary based on my having a wife who doesn't eat meat, and a sister who is gluton free. The time flew by as we went from coffee, to market, to cheese tasting, to lunch, enjoying it all with Elizabeths narrative. Thank you again Elizabeth, and dont be surprised if we hit you up next time we're in Rome

3  Thank golferinatlanta

I'm very glad you chose to join me on the Monti Tour. As I hoped, it gave you an insight into a neighborhood of Rome that you didn't know, despite your frequent visits to the city. It was a pleasure showing you my personal favorites, and I hope to see you all on your next trip here so we can continue our explorations.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Elizabeth usually limits these tours to a small group but somehow we managed to convince her that she should do the tour with 11 friends. We are so glad we did! Elizabeth is knowledgeable but also fun to be with -- a good sense of humor and a good take on the pros and cons of being an expat in Italy. She focused our tour on Campo de' Fiori and the Ghetto and each stop was more delicious than the one before. We started with a wonderful old (not re-done with glitzy tourist bait) bar for a coffee, then on to the Forno Campo de' Fiori to watch the marvelous pizza bianca being made. After buying a variety of cheeses (oh the burrata, oh the buffalo ricotta!!), we took our loot to another bar where we washed it all down with a tasty Aperol spritz. The tour around the Campo market was very informative: she basically showed us the good booths and the ones to avoid which was helpful when we went back to purchase things to take home. After that experience, we visited the very old Norcineria Viola (pork heaven!) and had a tasting. (The black truffle salame was out of this world.....) Then on to Gigetto in the Ghetto for carciofi alla giudea, stuffed zucchini flowers and two luscious pastas: bucatini all'amatriciana and pasta alla gricia -- both Roman favorites and both clean-the-plate good. Then our final stop: Alberto Pica artisanal gelateria where we sampled several different flavors. We especially loved the pistachio (made from Sicilian nuts and tasting like ambrosia), zabaione and the riso, a speciality of the house made with rice. Coffee and good-byes followed -- and we all agreed this had been a highlight of our trip. This tour is expensive but splurge -- you won't regret it.... Thanks, Elizabeth, for a fun (though calorie laden) and informative experience!

4  Thank Tracy K

I'm glad you convinced me to do a big group too! Although my tours are usually much smaller, you were all so much fun and enthusiastic that it was a true pleasure. Hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Elizabeth cooks Italian, lives Italian and had a great appreciation and understanding of food and also the needs expressed by us as a group. She freely responded to our questions about living the life there, and understanding how Rome has changed due to the economy, tourists, and changes in food based on italian life today. We loved the food experience and being a cook and gardener, it was very relevant to our lives and desires to enjoy the food we tried that day. She is a warm and knowledgable individual and we loved the food tasting and the tour. It added an unusual bonus to our experience in Rome and one that would be hard to reproduce without a guide such as Elizabeth.

5  Thank Patricia S

Thank you so much for your kind review! I loved talking about gardening with you too, and hope that you will be planting some of the vegetables we discussed. Let me know how it turns out!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had the real pleasure of spending my birthday on a food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli. And what an excellent present that was. Elizabeth is extremely knowledgeable about the food scene in Rome (and Florence). My husband and I used her food apps, Eat Rome and Eat Florence thoughout our trip to Italy and were always pleased with the places she directed us to. So it did not come as a surprise how much she knew. She approaches her food tours with professionalism and seriousness about her subject . At the same time, for a foodie like myself , it is so much fun! We went to all these places I could never have discovered on my own and tasted some of the amazing foods of this food culture. She was a delight to spend the day with. When we parted I felt I was saying goodbye to an old friend. To me it was well worth the price of the tour. Since being back home I have been telling everyone that this was a highlight of my wonderful trip.

4  Thank sle93057

What a treat for me to help you celebrate your birthday! I"m glad you had a great time, and happy to hear you used Eat Rome and Eat Florence too.
I had a great time with you too!