“Best way to start a Rome vacation”

Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome
Ranked #18 of 427 Shopping in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Elizabeth MInchilli in Rome offers intensely delicious food packed private experiences in Rome. Join professional food write Elizabeth Minchilli on a day long exploration of markets, food stores, wine bars, ice cream shops, chocolate makers and pizzerias. Make every bite count! Featured in The New York Times, Travel & Leisure and Food & Wine Magazine.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Best way to start a Rome vacation”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Although we have traveled widely and often look at Trip Advisor, we've never been tempted to leave a review. The accommodations are rarely that good, or the food that disagreeable, that we should steer people one way or another. This time is different.

We are in Rome for a month. We decided to take Elizabeth Minchilli's private tour of the best places to eat and shop in the area before we settled in too far. The tour is expensive, we admit, but it was worth every cent.

First, Elizabeth herself is that great mix of knowledge and exuberance. She clearly loves food, loves cooking, and has made close relationships with all the top purveyors in the area. Every shop we entered -- and I have to say we went into places that were amazingly good -- we were greeted happily, and plates of food -- salumi, cheeses, coffee, wine, gelatto, breads and pastries -- were at the ready for us. (All covered, btw, under our original payment -- only at the final lunch where we ordered what we wanted was the tab on us.)

We surveyed all the vegetable stands at Campo dei Fiori, went for coffee at a little mom-run caffe, soon had some of the best mozzarella and burrata ever, walked by the Farnese Palace, and the went to what has to be the finest pork store in all the world. Prosciutti, capo, salami, sausages, and (the revelation) a kind of pork jerky that was sensational. All piled up on a big platter accompanied by some bread and a bottle of wine.

From there we wended our way to two great "pizza bianca" places, another cheese store (with varieties of parmesan that boggled the mind, plus wine) -- and all this just in the Campo dei Fiori neighborhood! Soon -- well not all that soon, maybe after three or four hours -- we ended in the Jewish Ghetto for lunch and (what I especially wanted) fried artichokes Jewish style. And more wine.

No, that's not all -- We also ended the ending at a gelateria where we had gelati that ranged from standards like chocolate and pistachio to rice. All lovely, though the rice was outstanding. I know, hard to believe.

Yes, the cost is high. (We were joined by two friends, who flew in from France just to do the tour with us, so that helped keep the cost down for both couples.) But it is worth every euro. We not only would do it again, we're actually thinking about our next trip to Rome just to see what else Ms Minchilli can do!

21 Thank John A
ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you so much for the enthusiastic review! It was such a pleasure spending the morning with all four of you. As you could tell by the fact that we kept running behind, I had too much fun chatting with you all. I'm very glad you got a chance to join me at the beginning of your trip, so that you'll be able to shop and visit the places I showed you while you are here. I'm sure we'll run into each other again before you leave. All best,
Elizabeth

Bluffton, South Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“The PERFECT way to learn about Rome's Food & Market History”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently returned from my 7th visit to Rome. When friends ask me why I keep going back to Rome my answer is, "To Eat"! Sometimes this gets an "eye-roll" and other times it gets a head nod of understanding. Why I waited so long to book the Insider's Food Tour of Campo dei Fiori with Elizabeth Minchilli is a mystery to me, but WOW! I'm sure I glad I finally did it!

I was traveling with my "up-for-anything senior citizen" mom. We are pretty much kindred spirits when it comes to food and wine and Italy is our obsession...maybe we were Italian in another life! When I was putting together the plans for this trip I tossed out the idea of doing this tour and mom didn't hesitate in accepting it.

We had met Elizabeth earlier in the year at her (excellent) olive oil workshop, so booking this tour felt natural to us, like we were meeting an old friend. Elizabeth's style is incredibly warm and friendly and she lead us through the Campo dei Fiori area like a pro. I can't believe all the times mom and I have traversed this square and completely missed several of the terrific shops Elizabeth brought us too.

Our morning began in perfect Roman fashion with warm cups of cappuccino at what I will describe as an "Old School" coffee bar...as we walked through the door we felt like we were stepping back 40 or 50 years.

Elizabeth put together the perfect combination of market history (pointing out the various types of vegetables and spices being sold by the market vendors), and numerous 'taste-tests". Mom and I practically melted over the selection of cheeses we got to try along with the pizza bianca from 2 different bakeries, just to compare! And I had to count on both hands the different varieties of salumi and hams we got to taste. Of course a wine stop was on the agenda too and all this before our lunch, which was at the most perfect "Old School" trattoria, where we indulged in unique house specalities.

As if all this food and wine weren't enough the tour ended with the most scrumptious artisanal gelato mom and I had ever had. And mom isn't an ice cream lover, but this gelato just may have made her a convert!

So, if you enjoy learning some history about a local market, tasting delicious foods and spending several hours with a charming Rome "insider" get your fingers flying across your computer keyboard and book a tour with Elizabeth Minchilli...you won't be disappointed!

Visited November 2012
13 Thank LowCountryIslander
ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
It was so much fun to spend more time with you and your mom in Rome. It really did feel like seeing old friends (the wonder of the internet!) . We really did do/see/eat a lot that day, and I was so happy to see your mom not only kept up with us, but held her own in the eating arena. Can't wait to see you on your next trip, which I'm sure will be sooner rather than later.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family Food Tour”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We recently returned from Rome where we spent a very relaxing and informative day with Elizabeth. I signed up for this tour after finding it on the internet and then by chance speaking with a friend who had met Elizabeth and recommended her as a knowledgeable and fun guide. Our group included my husband, our 24 year old son and 20 year old daughter. Most of us had never been to Rome and so were looking forward to learning all we could about Italy and of course the food was high on our list as well. Elizabeth was easy to spend the day with and related well to both our children and adults. We loved all the places she took us to from the cappucino stop to the incredible lateria which we would never have found on our own. We tried all sorts of gelato including rice, chestnut, hazelnut and pistachio, all of which were delicious. There were many other stops on the tour that were equally as yummy and interesting to see. I recommend this outing(although not an inexpensive one) as a one of a kind experience that you will enjoy and will be a great memory for years to come.

Visited November 2012
It was wonderful to spend the day with you and your family. Thanks so much for checking back in and I hope to see you again soon in Rome.
Sisters, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic visit to Salone del Gusto!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I hesitate to call this trip a tour because it was a small intimate group of wonderfully like-minded ladies, including Elizabeth. She gave us lots of information ahead of time so we would be prepared, and during the two days we spent at the Salone in Turin, she had ideas on how best to enjoy the time, including workshops and free time. She is knowledgable and fun. I would highly recommend her and hope to connect again when we are next in Rome.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank AnnSisters_Oregon
I know what you mean, it didn't feel like a 'tour' at all, but more like a fun trip with good friends. Thank you so much for joining along and glad to hear you learned something while having a great time.
Bethesda, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fabulous learning experience!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Wear walking shoes and be prepared to discover unknown taste treats from a professional. We scheduled this tour half way into our 7 day trip. It was perfect timing - a great break from museums and history. This is the day we talk about when friends ask us about our week in Rome.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sylvia M
ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks so much, Sylvia. It was great spending time with you in Rome, and hope to see you back here soon. Elizabeth