Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri

from $218.32
from $35.40
from $475.32
2,780 results
All reviews meridian line roman baths beautiful church pipe organ bronze doors pope clement worth a visit diocletian michelangelo sundial zodiac transept ruins xi marble facade ceiling
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019

This was the first attraction my family and I arrived at in Italy. We had heard about clothing policies in Italy especially in places like this. My little brother entered in a thick tank top but had brought a jacket just in case he had to cover up. Before he could even put his jacket on a woman the was sweeping the floors ran over to him speaking only Italian calling him a "bastardo" among many other names. Rather than kindly showing him the sign about the dress policy she nearly dragged him and my mother outside, continuing to mock them for not reading the sign that was outside the entrance we did not come in. He proceeded to put his jacket on of course because it did not need to be an issue. When she was done with us she ran over to another family calling them "animales" for putting their foot on the marble but them she did the same thing to mock them. So I don't understand the logic there. Soon she realized she couldn't just leave me alone and started screaming Italian names at me. Mind you I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and long jeans. I took off my jacket for a picture and she told me I must leave showing me to the door. I told her I can just put my jacket back on but she proceeded to run around me yelling her head off to leave. When I was in no rush to run out of there for doing nothing wrong she darted at my face with something in her hand like a threat. Then I realized it was no longer worth the risk of being harmed so we left. As we were exiting this beautiful place she spit on the floor as a sign of disrespect and signed to us that we are going to hell. I also want to include that this woman smelled strongly of alcohol. This was my first experience in Italy and one of the worst if not the worst in my life. This woman should not being working or volunteering in a beautiful place like this. She scared multiple tourists away and was more disrespectful than anyone else there! I recorded this but I will insert photos of her signaling her hands that my family should go to hell. This is an amazing place but not worth visiting unless you want to be treated like garbage.

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank Taylorscannon
Reviewed April 28, 2019

It was constructed in the 16th century following an original design by Michelangelo. At the beginning of the 18th century, Pope Clement XI commissioned the astronomer, mathematician, archaeologist, historian and philosopher Francesco Bianchini to build a meridian line, a sort of sundial, within the basilica. The sun shines through a small hole in the wall to cast its light on this line each day. At the summer solstice, the sun appears highest, and its ray hits the meridian line at the point closest to the wall. You can also see a wooden sculpture of Jesus with a face made of a true copy of the Turin canvas.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank Boris M
Reviewed April 13, 2019

In a busy bit of Rome. This church is a sanctuary. Also interesting withers acknowledgement of science. The meridian (?) line where the sunlight shows the sun's position (solstice to solstice) and pendulums was great. Eldest daughter loves the cherubs!

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank clearasil11
Reviewed March 17, 2019

Rome is full of churches. So why is this one so special? Many reasons. It was built in the ruins of a roman bath. It was designed by Michelangelo. It has a gorgeous stained glass dome in the entryway made to look like the heavens. It has a giant pendulum. It has a solar calendar built into the floor (the Meridian) with exquisite astrological art. There's a big statue of Galileo in the back. (Oh, and there's beautiful artwork too). For a science geek like me, it was amazing. It wasn't crowded, either.

Date of experience: March 2019
1  Thank MinervaZee
Reviewed March 13, 2019

this place looks like a ruin from the outside but its been used by the monarchy of italy to get married . Its phenomenal inside . we walked past it three times and never went in but got it recommended and it was amazing .... glad we got to see it

Date of experience: March 2019