“and the orchard beside the Basilica”

Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme
Book In Advance
$72.28*
and up
Rome Walking Tour of Holy Sites: Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem, San...
$99.70*
Private Tour: Basilicas of Rome
$348.96*
Private Tour: Christian Rome
Ranked #108 of 1,885 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Latin: Basilica Sanctae Crucis in Hierusalem, Italian: Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme) is a Roman Catholic minor basilica and titular church in rione Esquilino, Rome, Italy. It is one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. According to tradition, the Basilica was consecrated circa 325 to house the relics of the Passion of Jesus Christ brought to Rome from the Holy Land by St. Empress Helena, mother of Roman Emperor Constantine I. At that time, the Basilica's floor was covered with soil from Jerusalem, thus acquiring the title in Hierusalem; it is not dedicated to the Holy Cross which is in Jerusalem, but the Basilica itself is "in Jerusalem" in the sense that a "piece" of Jerusalem was moved to Rome for its foundation.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

not only the Basilica but the ancient orchard the fratelli grow beside are places to visit and enjoy. The orchard by italian paessaggista Paolo Pejrone is one of the most wonderful gardens I've ever been. It's included in his gardening book: Il Giardino degli Orti Felici. Beautiful!

1  Thank clotclotclot

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The seasoned traveler is very familiar with the major basilica's to be found in Rome-St Mary Major, St Paul Outside the Walls, the venerable St Peter's, and St. John Lateran just to name a few.
Yet, in the neighborhood of St John Lateran, just down the street, is the ancient basilica of the Holy Cross (Santa Croce) in Jerusalem. The day I was there, at 1pm in the afternoon, I,and a good friend of mine - a first timer to Italy, had this basilica all to ourselves. The cool interior was a refreshing break already from the hot springtime Roman sun. And once our eyes adjusted to the darkness of the church, we were delighted to see not only a place of beauty, but in this fast paced and noisy city, a place of prayer and reflection.
St Helena, mother of the emperor Constantine and the first real world traveler of note, formerly had her palace on this site. There are remnants of it adjacent to the church.
That great collector of so many relics, St Helena, has gifted this church with the major relics of Christ's Passion which still continue to touch lives and change hearts down through the centuries. I say this because my traveling partner was an iron worker here in Church. And in seeing this rich legacy of relics, he was moved to simply sit and try to take as much of it in as possible.
I had been to this basilica years before but had given it a cursory walk through as at that time the relic chapel had been closed for the ever present renovations. This time the renovations were long over and through sharing this experience with another, I came away richer and better person---for I too was reminded of all the wondrous relics that are held in this church and what they mean. So I thank St Helena and her own example of obtaining splendid reminders from her own trips as I pause and try to find something meaningful for those I love back home.
Tom Z

3  Thank Tom Z
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This beautiful church is not on the tourist map, but should be and should also be signposted in the area. It is only a pleasant walk not far from San Giovanni in Laterano. This church holds the relics of the Crucifixion that St Helena brought back from Jerusalem. Most important were the pieces of Christ's Cross, part of Pontius Pilate's inscription in Latin, Hebrew and Greek 'Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews', two thorns from the crown, the bone of St Thomas's finger, and one of the three nails from the cross. Take note of the little chapel to Antoinetta Meo on your way through to see the relics, this is an emotional story about a very brave little girl.

3  Thank margareth700
Reviewed October 24, 2013

During our two weeks in Rome we visited 40+ churches and sites. This church is not even on the tourist map! In my opinion it should be on the top of the list for anyone wishing to be totally amazed and inspired! We loved it so much we went back later in the week.

The relics from the Passion of Christ are displayed in a way that took my breath away. And in a small chapel off to the side is an exact replica of the Shroud of Turin.

This church was the highlight of our entire trip and I can't encourage everyone enough to see it. It is only a short walk from St. John's Lateran. Between the two of these churches we spent an entire afternoon!

2  Thank kingswood041
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The day after visiting San Giovanni we ended up here not having noted they are 10 mins walk apart. This is a less visited site but no less awesome- large , beautifully decorated and with a real sense of history. Watch the opening times and be sure to visit the chapel of Antoinetta Meo

Been to Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme? Share your experiences!