Domus RomAntica
Orbitz.com
$363
$264
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspastryfrench embassyb bquick accessstreet facingfourth floormin walking distancemini barapartment blocknice roomresidential buildingrooms are beautifulvilla borghesecomfortable stayquiet neighborhooddecent sizebars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Overall this is a very good hotel, and I recommend staying there if you don't mind a 15 to 20 minute walk to/from the Metro. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. Marco and Fabrizio (hope I spelled his name correctly) were fantastic. The hotel is updated, clean, well maintained, near the city center, and the price is very good.

On our end we did two things that helped a LOT.
Firstly, we gave them our time of arrival. There's not always someone at reception (especially after hours) so since they knew when we would be arriving, Marco made sure to be there to greet and check us in.
The second thing that helped tremendously was to have the hotel arrange for a taxi to pick us up from the airport. The price was pre-determined and the driver honored the price. We paid $60 euros for 6 people and it was worth every "penny"! It was actually a great deal given the distance from the airport to Rome. Our driver also took us past Vatican city. So...unless you have a mobile gps mapping device or have already been there, I would not advise trying to find the hotel yourself. The roads in Rome are VERY difficult to navigate - there may or may not be a street sign, and the streets change name several times along the same route (i.e. 1 street, multiple names). Also, everything is a lot closer together than we're used to. Again, my advice is to NOT try to find your way from the train station to the hotel, especially at night.

I agree with the other reviews about the signage - very difficult to see unless you know where to look. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no way to tell it was even there. Fortunately the taxi driver pointed out the button we needed to push to contact the reception. This hotel occupies part of the 4th floor of a building - something we were not expecting. Also, there are only 5 or 6 rooms.

We were there in August and the AC worked OK but not great. We slept just fine - partly because we were exhausted at the end of each day, and partly because we had the AC cranking all night long (I believe the setting we used was Maximo).

The breakfast at this hotel consists of coffee, a baked item, and cold drink (juice or soda) from a café next to the hotel. The croissants were absolutely delicious, and the café owner was very nice and helpful.

The best thing about this hotel is that it's just around the corner from Pizzeria Al Forno della Soffitta - simply the best pizza we've ever eaten. We got several kinds and I don't recall their names - but they were all delicious.

Again, overall I would recommend this hotel based on quality of the rooms/bathroom, great staff, price, and the fact that it is close to the city center. Just be aware that it's about a mile or so to get to the metro - doesn't seem far until you try it in 90+ degrees with luggage and small children. Also, the AC in the rooms works but is not great.

p.s. something we learned while traveling in Italy...the Italians are out in the morning, take a break in the early afternoon, and then resume activity in the late afternoon/early evening. This might seem strange to people like me who have never done that before, but we discovered that there's a very good reason for this. The mid-day/early afternoon heat is simply miserable, so they just skip it...makes sense when you think about it. Our days became a lot more enjoyable and productive after we adopted this practice.

Room Tip: I don't know which one has the best AC, but if there is and you will be there in the summer I'd grab that room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GEO_001
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Once we arrived at the address we had no clue where to go. There was no signage to direct you where to go. We walked in to a hallway with other doors and used the mailboxes we found near the lift to confirm we were in the correct spot. Being the active couple that we are, and guessing that maybe it was just up one level, and not trusting tiny elevators (which did work fine actually), we grabbed our bags and started climbing up the stairs and realized we were wrong for 3 more levels. I think they hope you will automatically decide to take the lift and see the sign to say which floor it is on.

Once we arrived the door was locked. I had told them what time we would be arriving, and we were actually spot on. We rang the doorbell and no one answered. We continued this a few more times. My husband headed back downstairs to see if he could find someone while I would knock on the door/ring the door ball every so often. This lasted about 10 minutes, when a woman finally came to the door. She was quite pleasant, and from there on out our stay was a breeze and we could come in go as we pleased. There are little to no staff around, which is fine for us.

The room was clean, but nothing terribly spectacular - kind of dark.

The breakfast places that were part of the stay were nearby and a nice way to start the day. I enjoy staying off the beaten path, and we like to walk everywhere, but this was rather far from most of the areas visitors typically see in Rome. Although, not a terribly far walk from the train station, and an amazing gelato place was just a few blocks away.

Overall, my husband and I agreed we would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JandJ09
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Was a bit confusing at first with no real signage to the hotel. However we checked in fine, the wifi struggled to work in our room, and as we were trying to sort out money over online banking this was frustrating, without any staff there to help we had to sit in the hallway outside reception to use the internet. The rooms were nice, and bathroom clean. Bar Fridge was priced well and plenty of information on things to do in room were situated in the room. Overall a very nice B&B but hard to fix any problems with no staff around a lot of the time. Wifi not working was very frustrating and after travelling so much its not fun sitting in a hallway trying to use your laptop.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tyson B
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Perfect place to stay, room was very elegant , bathroom totally new ( the only thing missing is a small shelf under the sink for extra storage for our stuff ) ....we e-mailed the time we would be arriving ,they offered if we need transport from airport , we took their offer which was $50 euros .... The owner/staff is there in the morning till early afternoon.... But in case of anything they give their # for any problems , remember it's a b&b not a hotel with 24hrs service, it's like renting an apartment , you have the keys for the front door , main door and your room key, if you are needy , not for you. Bus down the street ,station termini 10minutes .... Pizza place down corner street... Convenient to everything .... Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Italiangirl69
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at Domus RomAntica for two nights prior to flying to Sicily for a tour. We got there by taking the Leonardo da Vinci train from the airport and walking from the train station. The only problem was that it's hard to find -- we got to the address, and didn't see any signs of a hotel or B&B. After communicating in broken Italian with some folks at the coffee bar on the ground floor (where, as it turns out, Domus guests have breakfast highlighted by world-class coffee) - and one pointed out the hotel's name on a tiny list of occupants of a four- or five-story building. So taking the ancient elevator up to the fourth floor, we finally found it. The room was decorated in an old-fashioned and fussy manner, but it was a cool and comfortable retreat from the summer heat, with a clean and modern bathroom. Later that evening, I met Marco, who owns the Domus along with Claudia. Marco speaks excellent English and helped me with everything from making dinner reservations to calling and confirming our upcoming reservation at a completely different hotel that had not responded to my email. He followed up on the dinner reservation by calling AND texting me a couple of times. (Also the restaurant was terrific, as was the artisanal gelato place near it that Marco also recommended.) This is an owner who is friendly, helpful, energetic, multi-lingual, and tech-savvy too. Before turning in for the night, I had a chance to talk with Claudia, who -- although her English is not nearly as good as Marco's -- also is trying very hard to make the Domus a success. For the price, the Domus provides a good location in a nice neighborhood that's convenient to the important tourism sites, yet tucked away from heavily trafficked main streets.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple