“Fresh Fish, Lovely Ambiance”
Review of Il Localino

Il Localino
Ranked #2,274 of 12,588 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The restaurant was distinctive, comfortable with a server who was anxious to please. He even brought out a whole fish to show us when we failed in Italian, English, and French to understand what type of fish it was he was recommending. We had wanted to order the moscardini given the recommendation by both Elizabeth Minchilli and my brother in law who had been there a month before. Unfortunately, they were out. Instead, my husband had the grilled octopus, which was a huge portion and could have easily served two people. It was flavorful but somewhat dry and chewy. I had the tuna carpaccio that recommended by the waiter. The slivers of silky bright pink tuna were sublime. It came with a soy dipping sauce but my feeling was why tamper with perfection? Our pastas were vongole for the hub and an anchovy, pesto pine nut for me. My husband felt that his was ho hum and he has had better clam sauce elsewhere (Cape Cod and Venice come to mind); mine was very tasty if you can handle the high salt level – which I could. We shared the recommended whole, fish in a tomato broth that was wonderful. Fragrant, fresh with perfectly cooked morsels of white fish. Highly recommended! Finally, ended with the apple crumble, which was wonderful. The service and ambiance was so pleasant and with careful ordering, the meal could be perfection. As it was, it was very very good. It was one of our pricier meals in Rome but still felt like a good value.

There are newer reviews for Il Localino

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Exactly what you want from an Italian restaurant, just ask what you are eating afterwards :) Great wine selection as well...

1  Thank Rich_and_Anna
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Via Veneto is chock full of restaurants trying to drag you in kicking and screaming (this should be a warning sign btw). We detoured a few blocks from the main strip and found this local hangout across the street from a gentlemens club. Don't worry though as the clientele are not mixed.

Everything was great as we shared a carbonara and a ragu bolonese which were prepared with rigatoni.

The only negative was the rather long wait for the bill but the place was packed.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

As a solo woman business traveller, it's not that easy eating alone in a restaurant. But I care more about food than about feeling self-conscious. And the fish at Il Localino was so wonderful that I didn't care about making a glutton of myself.

The restaurant had been recommended by a Roman foodie work colleague - it's off the Via Veneto and there's nothing from its outward appearance to signal that it's anything special, so I was grateful for the tip-off.

I wanted to try absolutely everything on the menu - impossible obviously - so the next best thing was two starters and a pasta: carpaccio of baccala, grilled octopus and pacchero in a fish stew (a new pasta shape for me). Quite the most exquisite tastes and excellently cooked. The menu changes daily, is highly seasonal and very imaginative, though within the range of traditional Italian.

It's not cheap - but good fish never is, and shouldn't be either. And it was the best food experience I've had for a very long time, even though I wasn't sharing it with anyone.

3  Thank tangoclare
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Super fresh seafood for a reasonable price! A must in Rome! No extra charge for 5 persons or more. In most restaurants they add a amount without letting you know. This is always disappointing.

2  Thank Visser2013

Been to Il Localino? Share your experiences!