“Air conditioner didn't work...very hot”

Trevi Palace Luxury Apartments
Ranked #248 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Perth, Australia
“Air conditioner didn't work...very hot”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights late June and it was very hot. At first we were given a small ground floor suite and after we complained that the air-conditioner didn't work we were moved 2 floors up to a better & bigger apartment. After we moved we were then told the air-conditioning system wasn't working in any room! A great location as it was a short walk to Trevi Fountain (visit in the morning as less crowded) but only stay at the apartments when you don't need cooling.Breakfast good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was very excited to stay here as this was my trip to Rome. It says that it is a Luxury Apartments; which is untrue. They are not luxurious and they are not apartments. We had a "Deluxe Family Room". There was a king sized bed, and 3 feet from it was a couch which makes into a single bed. There was no where to put your luggage, a few small drawers. The air conditioning was out most of the first day; no fan in the room. They had no ice, which they did not have for the full 4 days. There was a mini refrigerator, which they put a couple of bottles of water and a soda, 2x out of 4. They control the air conditioner and had to have it turned back on several times while we were in the room. 3rd day; we returned from sight seeing and had purposely left the do-not-disturb sign on the door. They had gone in, made one bed, left the towels and garbage on the floor. Threw the pillows on the bed; turned off the A/C off and opened the windows. It has been 95-98 degrees in Rome. The bath was OK, but there is no chromotherapy massage shower head. Every time we asked or told them that something wasn't working; we were told we are sorry; they only speak Italian and shrug of the shoulders and say that they were working on it; or would send a technician, or tell someone and there was never a response. On the 3rd afternoon; air conditioning not working yet; I over heard the manager telling patrons who were checking in that the AC was out and they not know when it would be back on. They were offered a free taxi ride to their sister hotel; which was approximately 10 minutes away. We were not given that courtesy. - I went down to the "Spa" which was included in the stay. The Sauna and Steam room were both out of order, the elevator was out of order; and we were not told that our room was only accessible by going up a spiral staircase; which was very narrow and poorly lit. There is no lighting for that stairway at night. The spa was not occupied by anyone; I was offered a massage which I accepted but there was only one time in 4 days that I could have it. The girl that gave me the 30 minute massage was quite good; and that was the best part of our stay. We paid 880 euros plus Rome City tax 6 euro/day for a cramped room with barely any A/C and did not meet even a 3 star hotel rating. Do not go by pictures ever - and as the hotel is only 50 meters from the Trevi Fountain; you will have to squeeze through a sea of people every time you exit the hotel. Stay away from the crowded areas, the food is all the same and extremely over-priced. The beggars and individuals selling trashy items every two steps is also very annoying. We have asked for some satisfaction from the on-line booking company; I hope that they come through for us.

Room Tip: Read many reviews before choosing; and give an honest review when you get the opportunity. This is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Trish1957
Leicester
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My sister treated my husband and I to 2 nights here at the beginning of our first visit to Rome. We were not disappointed. The room was lovely and has not one but 2 personal roof terraces. The first had a table and chairs, the second 2 sofas. Perfect for sunbathing. The bathroom was amazing - the shower was very luxurious with buttons to make water come from all angles and different coloured lights. The sound system impressed my husband and the breakfast was good. The best thing was the location. Just round the corner from the Trevi Fountain and lots more that Rome has to offer. Perhaps a little on the expensive side but definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lawyer13
Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The trevi palace was a fascinating hotel as the location was brilliant, being so close to the trevi fountain, right in the centre of Rome. It advertises itself as a 5* hotel, although the room my girlfriend and I were allocated was a modern 3* at best. Looking through the pictures of the hotel some of the rooms looked fantastic so at €160 a night being given a pokey room was frustrating. I am currently staying at a travelodge at manchester airport writing this review. The furnishings are nothing compared to the lavish trevi palace although being sat in this room I feel somewhat ripped off by the palace. The room here is bigger and the TV is free with more hangers for clothing and a more comfy bed. The room I stayed in was called "Gianbologna" so I recommend avoiding this one. The air con broke for a day and a half also and the sleeping was torture although I assume this was just a blip. However I cannot take anything away from Rome as the city is AMAZING. The architecture is fantastic and I strongly recommend a visit to this city from anyone. Walk everywhere, to take all the city in, as everything is within walking distance including the Vatican. For the price of this hotel however, I recommend this place for location alone. The lack of satisfaction from the hotel room took nothing away from the holiday however, as we spent most of the time exploring the city and used the hotel only as a base and somewhere to get our head down. I have fell in love with Rome and would definitely return, however not using this hotel. On and end note the breakfast tasted nice, with 2 cereals bacon and scrambled egg and many little sweet cakes and breads but for a 5* seemed limited.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Kieran M
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 27, 2012

As the hotel sits only a block from the Fontana di Trevi there are a lot of people in the street as you leave/enter the hotel. Everything is close by, and within a walk of 5-15 minutes youshould be able to visit most of Rome city center by foot. I stayed here with my girlfriend and the hotel is very up to date, and rooms are really nice. For anyone (couple) staying more than a few days get a junior suite or similar! Regular room isn´t to spacious. Service is excellent, staff is both kind and helpful and the price-location combo makes this a place worth visiting!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Trevi Palace Luxury Apartments are an excellent place to stay in Rome. The hotel was entirely rebuilt and opened in October 2011. It is only one block from the Trevi Fountain and four blocks from the Spanish Steps. It is within walking distance of the Roma Termini (rail terminal), metro, and most historic sites. I walked from the Trevi Palace to Roma Termini and took high-speed rail to Florence to visit Uffizi Museum and Gallery of the Academy. I ran every morning at the Villa Borghese Gardens which is above the Spanish Steps. The hotel staff will provide excellent fresh-squeezed orange juice, gluten-free cereal, and organic fruit for breakfast, if requested. The hotel employees are kind and considerate and will go out of their way to make your stay exceptional. The rooms are quiet, clean, and well equipped (some have refrigerators, sinks, and coffee makers). Max is the manager and he used to work at the Four Seasons in New York. Max will make dinner reservations for guests at the best restaurants in Rome.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd or 4th floor room with private porch.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Great location, can be very busy at times. We had a room facing the front of the hotel, it was really noisy, with lots of tourists around till late. The rooms are large, brand new and the bathrooms are so clean. The beds are very very hard. I would stay there again, only becuase it was so new and central to everything, which is hard to find in Rome at a great price. Good breakfast offered. Loved the free wifi! The staff were really nice and happy to assist with anything.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front. Check and see if the hotel has other rooms with softer beds.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family