“Surprisinly beautiful church inside”
Review of Chiesa del Gesu

Ranked #49 of 1,971 things to do in Rome
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had heard about this church on a an interest website. the reason for seeing it was the main fresco as you enter the church that is said to resemble the Orion Nebula in the constellation of Orion. When you get there, it is very plain from the outside and unassuming and doesnt stand out from the rest.
The church is widely known and not presented much on the tourist maps but is well worth a visit. the main fresco on the ceiling has a convenient magnified mirror on the floor underneath it so you can study it in detail(St Peters Basilica take note !).
Like a majority of the Basilicas, it is very ostentatious, inlaid with gold everywhere, very ornate and plenty of highly detailed paintings and frescos. Chiesa del Gesu is no exception. Considering it doesnt seem to compete with the other Basilicas, it is extraordinarily beautiful inside.
It is not usually packed with people so I think they wouldnt mind if you used a tripod also.At the time of writing it is open only 7.00am - 12.30pm then 16.00 - 19.30 every day. I missed it the first time and made the effort to go back,glad I did !

1  Thank Christopher P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)
All reviews
"ceiling art"
"spectacular church"
"main church"
in 7 reviews
"beautiful churches in rome"
"side chapels"
in 36 reviews
"founded"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had not seen this in my prior visits, and when I went in I was completely swept away with its beauty. There is so much to see inside, and I was lucky that a service started and the organ sounded majestic. The woman playing it had a lovely voice.

1  Thank busyflying
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I always wanted to see Il Gesu, the father of all Baroque churches, as I love Baroque architecture, plus in Warsaw there is a smaller copy of it (kościół Wizytek). I didn't realize it is so big, Happy that I saw it on my own eyes.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

this was one of my wifes favorite churches in Rome, it has so many beautiful aspects to it, another must see in Rome