“Outstanding mosaics, and more”

Santa Maria in Trastevere
$89.79*
Rome Trastevere Tour by Segway
Ranked #28 of 1,874 things to do in Rome
Reviewed August 24, 2014

It was wonderful walking into the Piazza with the grand fountain in the centre and the highlight church with the attractive front portico.

The nave is beautiful leading the vision to the altar area and crowned with a decorative ceiling. The dual line of imposing columns is most impressive. The apse area is completely overlain with gorgeous mosaics representing many holy themes. They are extremely well preserved and are awe inspiring to observe.

As we were leaving an ensemble of musicians and a choir from a neighbouring country were setting up in the portico. We stayed a while enjoying the experience.

1  Thank permia
Write a ReviewReviews (3,677)

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Santa Maria in Trastevere is a gem. Definitely add it to your list. We enjoyed the smaller churches so much more than St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

This church and environs is what Rome always was and, I pray, always will be. Perfection. The square offers simple food, locals gather at the church, and kids play in the fountain. I was awed by the many early Christian grave carvings mounted on the church. For me, this is where my faith began to come alive.

2  Thank Yakprof
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Very beautiful and one of theeasier ones to visit. In a great location and next to many great restaurants. Mass can be attended and prayers in the evenings.

1  Thank shanghaitck
Reviewed August 15, 2014

There tree so many wonderful churches to visit in Rome. This church is so beautiful it took my breath away. For the first time I really felt I must be in the presence of God. The cupola when lit (pay 1 Euro) just radiates a warm golden glow and the at work is stunning. St Peters is awesome but did not move me like this church.

1  Thank Allensy

Been to Santa Maria in Trastevere? Share your experiences!