“Very overated!!!!!!”

$91.45*
Rome Trastevere Tour by Segway
Ranked #28 of 1,735 things to do in Rome
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Don't waste your time. The square is very dirty, many strange people, lousy shops and restaurants. We had the worst gelato ever at Blue ice -- do not go here!!!!

There are newer reviews for Santa Maria in Trastevere

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Getting to this church you'll go through some of the best streets Rome has to offer. Close-knit roads with great restaurants and cafes. Eventually, you'll reach the main square where the church is situated. The gorgeous church was memorable with a striking center alter piece and great religious artworks. Additionally, the atmosphere was very peaceful.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I am not particularly interested in churches in Rome, as there are so many and was under the general impression that I had seen enough of them, BUT this one is very special since it is from the Byzantine era and is filled with gorgeous mosaics.

On top of that, there is a very loving and religious atmosphere inside - created in part by music playing in the church.

Be sure to put a coin in the light box to activate the lights so you can see the mosaics.

For me, I love this church because of the images of Mary - they are so queenly and beautiful and not the usual fare.

The outside is also filled with a beautiful mosaic.

I also like the gift shop here - I ended up lighting candles for people I love inside the church, and then in the gift shop I got them each a brochure and a refrigerator magnet of the face of the beautiful Mary and of the nativity mosaic which I think is a masterpiece. As well as ofthe bull. There are also nice bookmarks of Mary. If I had more room in my suitcase I would also have brough home the lovely little candleholders.

I also bought a beautiful advent calendar of St. Peter's for the holidays done by a lovely Canadian artist who lives in Rome (She also does the Metropolitan Museum of Art advent calendars in the U.S.).

But just to sit in the pews here is a very lovely thing to do. One of the few churches in tourist Rome that feels authentic, where you focus on the spiritual feeling.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Good combo here is to have guided tour Church of San Clemente, Colosseum and Roman Forum then thru Trastevere.....one evening we walked thru area and wished we hadn't eaten yet as all the cafes looked yummy.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Really beautiful church. Incredible painting on walls. Wonderful seiling, all in gold, and figure of Virgin Mary right above you. Really wonderful.

Been to Santa Maria in Trastevere? Share your experiences!