“Great service”

Hotel Ludovisi Palace
Ranked #358 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed for a week and really enjoyed the friendly staff at this little hotel. There were three of us in the room, so it was snug, but I wasn't visiting Rome to hang out in my room. We were on the street side with a nice view. We made good use of the wine shop a few doors down, the tabacchi shop across the street and the bar across the street (only once because the guy at the register is a big jerk.) Paolo was great, as was the very nice German fellow at the front desk who helped us out in the wee hours when our transportation to the airport didn't show. I found the breakfast to be just fine, the free wi-fi worked and as everyone has said, the location is great. Close to Barberini Metro stop, Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheryl D
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ludovisi Palace

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Can't say enough about the kindness of the entire staff! Everyone made us feel as is we were old friends staying in their home!
Location is excellent: two blocks from the Via Veneto, one block from the hop on/hop off bus, a few blocks from the Spanish Steps and the wonderful shops close by. In a quiet neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and cafés. Near a subway stop and a short cab ride away from St. Peter's Square.
Recommend requesting a room with a balcony (6th floor) it makes the small room seem much bigger.
Excellent breakfast included and good Wi-FI. Reasonable cost for Rome.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mayagg
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights prior to joining a cruise in Naples. The room was comfortable, clean, & very small. Breakfast was included, and was a typical European breakfast, except for the scrambled eggs. All the hotel staff that we came in contact with were helpful & pleasant. The gentleman at the front desk recommended several good nearby restaurants. The location was very good ------- a short walk to the Spanish Steps, and an even shorter walk to the Barberini subway stop. The only issue that I might have with this hotel was that I didn't seem to be able to shower without getting the whole bathroom floor wet. This is not a luxury hotel, but as I said before, it is clean, comfortable, & convenient. If I were planning to stay in this area again, I would probably go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nanski3
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Ludovisi Palace Hotel on October 2 for two nights. This was our final stop of a 17 day European road trip. We left Rimini very early in the morning in order to turn in the rental car at FCO airport outside Rome before noon. After the 5.5 hour drive we checked in the car, had lunch at the airport and then took one of the official city cabs to the hotel for a set 48 euros. I am glad we did this because the Roman traffic was absolute madness and we surely would have died. The hotel is in the center of town a very short walking distance to the Spanish Steps and Barbarini Metro Station, with the Trevi Fountain not too much farther south.

Check in was very quick and efficient. Most of the hotels we stayed at on our trip have been in the modern and chic 'HGTV' style with a business edge, but the Ludovisi has maintained a more classic look. Even the room keys are regular brass keys hanging off a big key tag and you have to turn them in to the front desk every time you leave the hotel. The room and beds were on the small side and the decor continued with the 'classic' styling. The bathroom had pink marble walls, old style chrome and brass fixtures and very small areas of peeling paint on some of the trim, thus exuding a touch of tiredness but by no means dirty. The bathroom was on the small side with very little space between the toilet and sink. The bathtub was not as new as the AC Milano or Best Western Bologna in Venice.

We were issued two free wifi codes for two devices. Things seemed slow on my laptop and at first I thought maybe the wifi was spotty in the room. Later after I got home I found out my laptop hard drive was dying a prolonged death and had to be replaced and that was probably why everything was so slow in Rimini and Rome. Because of this its hard to make a solid judgement on the reliability of the wifi.

After settling in we walked to the Spanish Steps since they were so close. We then walked to the Barbarini bus stop, bought tickets at the tobacco store (1.5 euros each) and waited interminably for the 63 bus to take us down to the main tourist area by the Palatine Hill ruins. There we visited the Boca della Veritas and the Colosseum and had a drink in a nearby bar. After a couple of hours of sightseeing we took the crowded metro back to the hotel.

There is a 'restaurant row' of sorts to be found close by the Ludovisi Palace. Walk south from the hotel towards Barbarini Station and down some steps onto Via Vittorio Veneto, which is a loud busy street. Some of the higher end restaurants have glass enclosures for their outdoor seating, presumably to cut down the noise. There are several banks with ATMs around the traffic circle. We ate inside at Suggestum which was one of the more reasonably priced restaurants (by European standards) there and then called it a night.

The Ludovisi breakfast buffet area is split in two on either side of the main entrance. The buffet had the usual European selection that we've seen during the rest of the trip: scrambled eggs & European bacon, pastries & croissants, toast & jams, fruits & salad, yogurt & cold cereal, juices and coffee and some nice chocolate cake.

For our last full day in Europe we decided to take the Ciao, Roma! hop on, hop off double decker bus service. We signed up for it when we checked in and paid 6 euros per person at the front desk and then had to pay another 15 euros to the staff on the bus. Our ticket was good for 24 hours. One of the unintended benefits of staying at Ludovisi Palace is that the Ciao, Roma! buses have their number 1 stop at the Eden hotel right down the street. The first bus is at 7:45am and my friend and I were first in line and we got the best seats on the upper deck right in front. As the bus hits the other 12 stops it fills up very fast, so staying at Ludovisi and being first on was a big advantage. We got off at the 10th stop at Vatican City and spent a couple of hours there and then hopped back on to the last stop at the Trevi Fountain close to the hotel. We walked up to the Spanish Steps for a quick lunch and then went back to the hotel to rest. That evening we took the Ciao, Roma! bus to the Pantheon, then passed Piazza Venezia on the way to the Colosseum again. We wanted to go inside the Palatine Hill ruins but it was closing when we got there. We had dinner in the shadow of the Colosseum and then we took the metro back to the hotel and hit the sack early.

I had arranged to have a taxi take us to the airport when I booked the hotel. Cost was 60 euros flat. Our flight was at 740am so we had scheduled the taxi to pick us up at 500am but the driver was already there at 445am. The car was a nice Mercedes with a huge trunk and the driver was dressed in a snazzy suit. Classy! As we drove to the airport we came to realize that its probably an advantage to fly in and fly out of Rome very early in the morning because the traffic was virtually non existent.

When I was looking at hotels in Rome our first choice was the Marriott and then the Westin, both of which are just a couple of blocks away around the corner from Ludovisi Palace. But both hotels were booked solid and very expensive. The Ludovisi Palace is a fine alternative and ideally located for tourism with a few key sightseeing spots in the immediate walkable area. Having the first tour bus stop just down the street was a tremendous plus. The restaurant row, banks and transportation hub at Barbarini Station added to the convenience factor. Room rates for this convenience made the Ludovisi Palace Hotel the highest priced property of our entire trip. The overall ambience of the hotel may be considered by many to be 'tired and dated' but everything in the room was clean and functional. Breakfast buffet was more than adequate and front desk staff were able to answer all our touristy questions thoroughly. The classy taxi ride to the airport was a nice final touch to our 17 day road trip. If I return to Rome I would probably try the Marriott first again simply because I am a rewards member. But if rooms are hard to come by at the big hotels I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Ludovisi Palace again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank pingvuiini
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel lives up to its expectations. The location is good, so a lot can be done by foot.
Wifi is free in the whole hotel. The rooms are comfortable, good sized, and nicely decorated. I was at the street side, but there was no noice problem. The badroom was relatively small, but more then OK. Also a lot off restaurants within walking distance.
Friendly staff at reception, and always helpfull.
Breakfast is basic but good. The only downer: the coffee is from these machines...in italy there is better coffee.
The only thing i would say: do not use the pickup from the hotel, they arrived late with an excuse, ...not recomended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hans J
Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you are looking for a descent hotel in reasonable price, located in the middle of the distance between Spanish steps and Vila Borgueze, downtown but far away from the noisy city center of Rome, well this is it. Ludovisi Palace offers good, still small, rooms in a quiet street 5 minutes walking from Spanish Steps and 5 from Villa Borgueze and 100 m away from Via Venetto. The only problematic for me was its breakfast which is rather poor in choices and without diet options.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Antonis M
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Booked on-line about 2 months before for a 3 day break with wife and friends. We looked for a place just outside of city centre (cheaper) but not too far as to be inaccessible. This hotel was just the ticket - very clean, superb staff and a good breakfast to start the day. Its about 5-10 mins walk to Spanish Steps, 15 mins to Parthenon and about 30 to Vatican City, so pretty close and the walk in is mostly downhill (take a taxi back if you tire easily). The rooms are fairly standard for Rome - traditional in terms of decor and certainly not the modern chrome of boutique hotels. The only down side was the very poor view from our room , which looked into a messy internal courtyard (room 109). Pverall this spoiled the effct although we didnt spend too much time at the hotel. I liked the internet access arrangments a code for each device but high speed access.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view at front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends