“Well Worth Checking Out”
Review of Hotel La Rovere

Hotel La Rovere
Ranked #174 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in September, our tour ended here on our first night in Rome and the Hotel graciously extended our stay with some easy preplanning a few months beforehand. Quiet and a bit off the beaten path but very well situated to be within walking distance of the Vatican, La Travestere and central Rome. Our room was very clean with a large comfortable bed, air conditioning and the luxury of a large bathroom (after tiny bathrooms at most of our previous tour stops). They also have an elevator and a nice morning breakfast. We also made use of a small terrace off the hallway to relax outside after long days on our feet. It provided a welcome sanctuary after the controlled chaos of busy days and staff was wonderful. Highly recommended, they made us feel at home!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony if you so desire, these do not face onto a main street and seem relati...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 6, 2011

I knew absolutely nothing about his hotel when it was booked for us by locals during a business trip. It was a very pleasant surprise. The hotel, dating back to the 1950s, has been lovingingly maintained as a family business. Our room, a triple, was big by European standards and we had a private terrace which was an unexpected bonus. The breakfast is typical Italian continental-- fresh fruit, yogurt, rolls. For me, the most important part was the coffee and it was excellent. The location is in a "real" not touristy neighborhood but within walking distance to Travestere, the Jewish Ghetto and the Vatican. If you love to walk, you can even get to the Piazza Navona, Trevi and Spanish steps. With such a reasonable price, I am planning on making this my permanent hotel in Rome.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice - once when my daughter was studying at John Cabot and again with my husband and daughter. If you know Rome, this is the hotel for you. It is near the Vatican and everything else is a walk away. The wonderful neighborhood of Trestevare is nearby and right behind the hotel and up the steep stairs is one of the best views of Rome you can get. Staff will make you a cappucino anytime of day and rooms are kept clean. Reccommended by Rick Steves and he never seems to be wrong!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank voc124
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I stayed at La Rovere in December 2007 with a couple of colleagues. We had a nice stay. The furnishings in the rooms are a bit worn, but we didn’t mind that since everything was clean. The bathroom was spacious which you can not see that often in Italy! When we came our room was cold – they forgot to turn the heating on but they did so immediately after we asked them. Anyway this is the only thing I have to mention. Besides that everything was great, especially compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Rome. The staff was extremely friendly and willing to help at all times. The breakfast was good. We especially liked the location. The hotel is a short stroll from major attractions and very close to Trastevere that we liked for the nightlife.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank MilicaK
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I inquired about a reservation for myself and two friends, and after never receiving a response, assumed that no rooms were available and made other accommodation arrangements. After returning home from a lovely holiday in rome and florence, I noticed that I had been charged a nights stay at this hotel. They insisted to my credit card company that I was a 'no show'. I NEVER received any sort of confirmation of a reservation with this hotel. They were unwilling to address the matter with me. I did not contact the hotel directly initially, so maybe they just have listings with some shady intermediaries, but I do not feel I was treated properly in the end. Would HIGHLY recommend Hotel Alimandi Vaticano in Rome. Would stay there again in a hearbeat!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2007

This little hotel of some 12 units is located off a small noisy alleyway about a 10-15 minute brisk walk from St. Peters. Although I am sure there are far worse, this is not a hotel we would return to or recommend.

To be fair the room was clean and the bed comfortable - and although the mildew smell from the bathroom permeated the room there was no visible sign of it.

As noted in the photos, the common areas are appealing enough, however the furnishings of the individual rooms are somewhat worn and tired.

The biggest problem was one I had not even anticipated. To air and cool the room we opened our window; however since there were no window-screens, we were swarmed with mosquitoes. When I explained the problem and requested the use of the advertised air conditioner so we could sleep, I was told it was “not possible” and so we sweltered, aggravating the many, many hot, red welts across our arms and legs.

In a similar vein, we were told the Hotel had Internet access. Unfortunately this turned out to be capricious permission to use a Hotel computer rather than Wi-Fi etc. I was variously told access was “not possible” (even though it was fully functional) whether late one night to contact a US colleague, or early in the morning to check on airline information.

As for directions, don’t bother asking the desk, just bring a map, or wander about. We consistently found the staff to be unhelpful, patronizing and condescending.

Aside from our frustration, overall we do not believe the Hotel represented value for money.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank aw525_2
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We are staying at the hotel this week. I emailed for directions
but got no reply. Fortunately we met a guide on the train from the airport and he was able to provide directions. Take the 64 bus. Get off at the first stop past the river. Cross the wide road. Look for their sign over the alley heading uphill.

When we checked in, we asked if our room was on the quiet side of the hotel. The answer was an enthusiastic yes, but the room is the ill fated 205, above the street. I asked to use the internet. They said it was broke but would be fixed the next day. I asked the next day and again was told it would be fixed the next day. Yesterday, I had them show me the router and cables. No wireless router, even though they said they did have one. The cabling to the computer is exposed and runs along a power line. This causes the router to fail.

I showed them how to power down and power up the router. It fixed the problem for now. The computer is running an old version of the browser. The keyboard is Italian. No way to type the "at" sign in an email address.

Very friendly people though. They just do not want to give you an answer that you might disagree with.

The hotel is up an alley. The alley seems to be a pissing ground for the locals. It is out of the way, and it is better than pissing in the river.

St Peters is close, but not 100 meters unless you swim the river upstream.

I say maybe a 2 star given the location and lack of competence, but very friendly with a good breakfast.

Stayed: April 2007