“Wonderful Staff, great location!”

Hotel Fontanella Borghese
Ranked #339 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I returned a few days ago from a 3 night stay at this hotel. The staff here is wonderful and helped us so much. The breakfast that is included was quite good, and I had the best cappuccino ever each morning, which was a great way to start each day. The rooms are small (which is typical in a European hotel) but very clean. . The location can't be beat, It is about a five minute walk to the Spanish steps and it is easy to get a taxi from this location The only down side was that our rooms faced the street and the first night when I had not yet realized there was AC I had the windows open and it was very noisy. I did finally find the AC but it was way up on the wall and I had to stand on a chair to reach it. But really, the best part of the hotel was the friendly staff who all spoke perfect English and went out of their way to answer our (many, many) questions and provide us with great advice!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room that faces the street, if there are any.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CathyP488

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great central location and within walking distance to all main attractions.

This hotel is part of a large building, originally a palace belonging to the Borghese family. It occupies a section of the second floor. It is a small hotel. The rooms are an adequate size and the beds are comfortable. The staff are extremely friendly and obliging. The breakfast is varied and suffeciently fortifying for a days sight seeing.

Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking a lane way which had a rather noisy Scottish Pub/Nightclub, from which revellers and smokers entered and exited until very late a night/early hours of morning.

I would recommend the hotel for its value for money, location and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Ask for room that is not overlooking the laneway because of noise coming from Pub/nightclub
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TOMMYMIO, segretaria at Hotel Fontanella Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear CHarris,

We saw the message you posted on tripadviisors and we really wish to thank you for your nice words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you consider our Hotel valid enough to suggest it.
We hope to meet you again in the near future and all the staff of the hotel send you our warmest regards.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I could not rate the service at HFB any higher. The staff were always friendly, willing to help and they spoke fantastic English. For the staff and location alone, just a short stroll to the Via del Corso, I would stay there again. The only downfalls were that the bed was too firm for my liking and the bathroom a bit too small. Otherwise, I highly recommend it!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lizzylambert
TOMMYMIO, Segretaria at Hotel Fontanella Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Lilly Lambert,

We saw the revenew you wrote about your stay with us and we are really glad you had a pleasant stay. We hope to meet you again in the near future and till then please accept our warmest regards.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

this hotel was quite nice, though old and very used. the rooms were generally clean, though the shower doors in the bathrooms were "half" and not attached, so they were a bit dangerous if you leaned against them. the proprietess, Cynthia, was helpful and energetic. we had some trouble with a couple smoking in their room next to us....it made our room horribly smokey and so we had to switch rooms. then the night clerk was smoking right outside the reception, though still "inside" the building, so everything smelled like cigarettes for hours. the breakfasts were good, the staff there very kind and helpful. we did get bad directions, once, to the bus to the Vatican. other that that....the location was central and generally easy to find most sights.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank susanrn4851
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was our first trip to Italy, and of the five hotels we stayed at, north to south, this was by far the best. The staff and owner were amazing! They were friendly, patient and most helpful in answering our many questions and meeting all our various needs. The hotel is beautiful, located on the 2nd floor (3rd floor by US standards) and is accessable via a staircase or by way of a small elevator). Centrally located in the historic area, we walked to everything without a problem, and had the comfort of feeling safe morning to night. There is too much to say about the hotel and each person, from the owner to the night staff, that I could go on and on. In short, it was worth every penny of my money (I guess I mean every Euro) and is a place I would absolutely stay at again when I return to Rome - there is no need to look elsewhere. I did a lot of research in picking my hotels, and everything I read supporting this hotel was spot on.

Room Tip: I only saw two of the rooms at the hotel, and they were both nice. I overheard others at the counte...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 5 nights in late September at this wonderful albergo. The staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable (especially Khaled and Andrea). The restaurants they recommended were some of our favorites. We spent 2 weeks all over Italy. The hotel is centrally located and easily walkable to all the attractions. The buffet breakfast was scrumptious.
We would definitely stay here again on our return to Rome!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

At the Hotel Fontanella Borghese we had a delightful short stay. It was in a charming old building, great location. Some "foodie" restaurants like Palatium - Enoteca Regionale del Lazio nearby, excellent shopping, and easy base to go sight seeing.

The owner and staff were charming, friendly and the most accommodating helpful staff I ever encountered.

We transferred to this hotel from the owners other hotel and had a wonderful stay here.
Clean, quiet, comfortable beds, nice size rooms for two adults and two suitcases..

Room Tip: Nice small hotel. Near good restaurants, shopping and easy sight seeing base location.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family